• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you happy with the focus of your collection?
2 2

68 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I saw this in the latest Mycomicshop.com newsletter (Buddy's Banter) and it seemed quite relevant to the discussion here:

A bit about why we collectors collect

Collectors of anything--not just comics--collect for several reasons, one reason usually being more prominent than the others. The great thing about comics is that there's an extra dimension to collecting them than, say, when one collects stamps, coins, barbed wire, or beer cans. None of those other things can be read. With comics you get a--hopefully--good, exciting story as well. That's what attracted me to comic books in the beginning and that remains my main source of pleasure in this wonderful hobby.

Folks also buy comics as an investment. I know people, and I'm sure you do, too, who never read the comics they buy. They just bag and board and put them away, expecting their comic investment to yield dividends over time. Comic collectors, who are usually boys/men, find the investment argument a handy dodge when trying to justify the pleasure they get from reading comics.  An understanding wife/girlfriend/parent will accept the investment possibilities. The kind of wife or girlfriend who doesn't want her husband/boyfriend to find pleasure anywhere else, is the kind to be avoided. We see too many "divorce" collections.

The last reason collectors collect that I'll speak of here applies to all kinds of collecting, not just comics, but it is little understood or remarked on. The collecting reason I speak of is the deep and visceral desire to complete a set or run. Run and set collectors are, to one extent or another, all of us. We love the challenge of completing title runs--the thrill of finding that last, especially hard-to-find issue of Mystery in Space! There is easily as much pleasure in finding a rare item as there is in possessing it.  I know that feeling, that thrill. It is a thrill non-collectors will never know. How much we pity them! 

:sick:

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

A bit about why we collectors collect

Collectors of anything--not just comics--collect for several reasons, one reason usually being more prominent than the others. The great thing about comics is that there's an extra dimension to collecting them than, say, when one collects stamps, coins, barbed wire, or beer cans. None of those other things can be read. With comics you get a--hopefully--good, exciting story as well. That's what attracted me to comic books in the beginning and that remains my main source of pleasure in this wonderful hobby.

People collect barbed wire?

3 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

People collect barbed wire?

Yup. It’s so popular there was even a Dark Horse comic and film.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:42 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

There was once a board member,  @MutantKeys I believe. He put together a collection of high grade XMen books and used to say RE lack of focus... "this is why your collection sucks." 

I've always remembered that phrase as it relates to my own collecting. 

I remember him. If I remember correctly he was putting together the Claremont run in 9.8. If he held on to them he did pretty good. It was prior to the first big Spider-Man movie and all the subsequent superhero movies including all the X-Men and related films. 

I would say I'm extremely happy with how discipline I've become in keeping my collection small and focused.  In fact, I've only bought a handful of misc books in the last 4 years and only when they were so cheap, I couldn't say No.  I'm at the point where I can probably say I don't really collect comics any more.  I finished my Adams Bats, Smith Conan,  Miller DD runs, and now I'm pretty satisfied just enjoying what I have.  Toyed with the idea of chasing the Kirby 4th World books, but decided I was plenty happy with the Omnibus.  

I wouldn’t say my collection is focused but it is relatively small.

I just finished my mini Vampirella run goal (1-20) and am now enjoying getting into picking up more early Marvel SA. 

I also have some GA and BA on my list too...

7 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I want to walk away from Moderns altogether, focus on the old stuff.   I have noticed there is a definite lack of decent Silver and Bronze in the brick and mortar these last few years. 

That's what it's all about for me. My focus was to do away with my runs like walking dead and asm and just get big marvel keys from bronze and silver. Safer proven market and I like the historical significance as well as the stories better for the most part. 

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

That's what it's all about for me. My focus was to do away with my runs like walking dead and asm and just get big marvel keys from bronze and silver. Safer proven market and I like the historical significance as well as the stories better for the most part. 

Stories in keys are better than in non-keys?  That's a Facebook excuse, and I'm calling B.S. on that.  If you like seeing your books increase in price, that's reason enough, dont shovel in the rest of that.

I'm a run collector, mostly superhero, 18k books in, and I'm happy with what I've been able to put together.  Since I was a kid, I've had the mentality that if I have some, I might as well have them all.  Bronze age is my least favorite era, so I have some titles to cut if I run out of space.

20 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Stories in keys are better than in non-keys?  That's a Facebook excuse, and I'm calling B.S. on that.  If you like seeing your books increase in price, that's reason enough, dont shovel in the rest of that.

I'm a run collector, mostly superhero, 18k books in, and I'm happy with what I've been able to put together.  Since I was a kid, I've had the mentality that if I have some, I might as well have them all.  Bronze age is my least favorite era, so I have some titles to cut if I run out of space.

I'm in 100% agreement. A "key" by no means = "better story".

In fact, fleshed-out (but not stretched-out) runs provide the best stories IMO. I can probably count the amount of "best" stories that include "key" issues on one hand.

16,300 books - focus. . . Well, it was meant to be just all mutant books, but that did not last. I stop my pull list several years ago, as being a completist, I could not keep up with all the variants - it was getting too expensive. I am happy with my collection but my focus now jumps around, for example, one week I want to complete my Daredevil volume 1 run from the first Frank Miller, then the next I want to complete my Peter Parker Spider-man. I know what you are thinking - they are not mutants. . . I know I veered of course.

So in conclusion, my focus, is to remain unfocused. :shy:

13 hours ago, Waylander said:

16,300 books - focus. . . Well, it was meant to be just all mutant books, but that did not last. I stop my pull list several years ago, as being a completist, I could not keep up with all the variants - it was getting too expensive. I am happy with my collection but my focus now jumps around, for example, one week I want to complete my Daredevil volume 1 run from the first Frank Miller, then the next I want to complete my Peter Parker Spider-man. I know what you are thinking - they are not mutants. . . I know I veered of course.

So in conclusion, my focus, is to remain unfocused. :shy:

I’m only about 16,000 books behind you 😂 

On 10/16/2020 at 7:44 AM, FineCollector said:

The story in amazing fantasy 15 is really good. So is the story in asm 121 and 122. Reading that storyline got me to really like comics. Another example is amazing spiderman 14. I like seeing them increase in price, if I didnt that would be a "bs facebook" answer like you put it. I'm sure you like seeing your runs increase in price, even though alot of it never will or go up very little. Not all stories in keys are better but there are some that keys because of what happens in story. Asm 39 is another one comes to mind. 

Uncanny xforce is my favorite read tho, and its non key (for now) so I understand that but dont go saying stories in keys arent any good. 

Edited by jason4