• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM129 cover to hit ComicConnect
3 3

115 posts in this topic

Okay, why did I have to find out through TMZ of all places that the cover to Amazing Spider-Man 129 will hit the auction block through ComicConnect at the end of the year? CC estimates it at $2M. 

Now that is a HOLY GRAIL. I knew it was out there somewhere. 

TMZ exclusive

20 minutes ago, John E. said:

Okay, why did I have to find out through TMZ of all places that the cover to Amazing Spider-Man 129 will hit the auction block through ComicConnect at the end of the year? CC estimates it at $2M. 

Now that is a HOLY GRAIL. I knew it was out there somewhere. 

TMZ exclusive

Yah, it popped up 2 or 3 years ago IIRC and has changed hands a couple of times (that I am aware of) since then. 

10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yah, it popped up 2 or 3 years ago IIRC and has changed hands a couple of times (that I am aware of) since then. 

Oh that’s interesting. So the sense that the article gives us (keeping in mind this is TMZ) is that it’s fresh to market, and yet, the high end collectors have been playing hot potato with it. Well, then, this is now a $100,000 cover :nyah:!!!

9 minutes ago, vodou said:

Of course they do. Tremendous advertising value, just releasing a number like that for a House that struggles to maintain even third place in the hobby. And Hake's -blah- may yet end up eating their lunch in the next several years :) Question: will the reserve will be at/very near that figure? Answer: YES lol

But in the absence of a pre-arranged buyer (aka guarantee)...will it "hit" organically with two or more collectors running it up to that level or beyond?

I think: Not.

But I also think "vested interests" will make sure that number is hit publicly, even if that's not the actual number on the check/MO/wire that actually lands in CC/Metro/Fishler's bank ;)

Yep, as big of a fan that I am of the character and the cover, even I think that estimate is overly optimistic. Optim-estimate?

1 hour ago, John E. said:

Oh that’s interesting. So the sense that the article gives us (keeping in mind this is TMZ) is that it’s fresh to market, and yet, the high end collectors have been playing hot potato with it. Well, then, this is now a $100,000 cover :nyah:!!!

that's a hot potato I'd love to catch.

Just now, Bronty said:

Good lord that's a terrible image of the art.    That's the best they could get?    What's "been done to it?".    Something has, I would wager, from the looks of the piece?   

The staining on it is incredible.  Very concerning.

16 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Good lord that's a terrible image of the art.    That's the best they could get?    What's "been done to it?".    Something has, I would wager, from the looks of the piece?   

Now that you bring it up, the trade dress may or may not be original. But fine whatever it’s not going to stop me from putting in a $1001.01 bid. 

15 minutes ago, John E. said:

Now that you bring it up, the trade dress may or may not be original. 

I'd be surprised if it was tbh.   

I wish there were before and after pics so I could get a sense of what I'm really looking at.   Oh well.

Killer piece regardless, but its been played with I think.

Edited by Bronty

46 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Fishler's shirt is even worse.  

2 hours ago, vodou said:

And Hake's -blah- may yet end up eating their lunch in the next several years

Interesting.  Can you explain why/how that could happen ?  ComicConnect recently improved their web site (still quirky, though).  So I think they recognized that problem.  Do you see Hake's doing something to catch up and pull away ??

Edited by Will_K

3 hours ago, vodou said:
Of course they do. Tremendous advertising value, just releasing a number like that for a House that struggles to maintain even third place in the hobby. And Hake's -blah- may yet end up eating their lunch in the next several years

Is CC really 3rd? With Clink's prehistoric interface I had assumed CC was #2 and everyone else was a distant 3rd.

Edited by Crowzilla

Anyone know if the Punisher image is a stat?

With that amount of damage to the piece (foxing and what appears to be water damage/staining) you'd think the owner would spend a little & get it looking better!

asm129coverA.jpg

Edited by Timely