• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM129 cover to hit ComicConnect
3 3

115 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

Interesting.  Can you explain why/how that could happen ?  ComicConnect recently improved their web site (still quirky, though).  So I think they recognized that problem.  Do you see Hake's doing something to catch up and pull away ??

26 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Too much tom foolery and too much self-interest. ...

What he said ;)

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

I am really curious what more detailed images will tell us about the art's condition. I can't recall another cover from that era with such a large border.  Maybe Kane ripped it right off the printing press to sell it?  (shrug)

I thought the large border was unusual too, but I’m not an expert in this era. Or any era. 

40 minutes ago, Timely said:

Anyone know if the Punisher image is a stat?

With that amount of damage to the piece (foxing and what appears to be water damage/staining) you'd think the owner would spend a little & get it looking better!

asm129coverA.jpg

The more and more I look at it the more I see something off. That Punisher does look like a stat. In fact this resembles a statted cover. It’s hard to tell without a hi-res scan. 

If only we had a Romita/Kane expert in the house :whistle:

8 minutes ago, John E. said:

The more and more I look at it the more I see something off. That Punisher does look like a stat. In fact this resembles a statted cover. It’s hard to tell without a hi-res scan. 

This whole thing looks really off.  Look at the color markings.  It looks hand written and the spacing on TS is MASSIVE, which I've never seen like that on World Color Bristol.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by jaybuck43

10 minutes ago, John E. said:

I'm 99% sure Punisher is a stat.  Look at the left of his neck.

is it possible that the piece started out life similar to the 135 cover, which sold on heritage in 02?    

I have no idea.   But interesting to see what Romita's process was on a cover from a similar time.

3178311%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

Edited by Bronty

5 hours ago, John E. said:

Okay, why did I have to find out through TMZ of all places that the cover to Amazing Spider-Man 129 will hit the auction block through ComicConnect at the end of the year? CC estimates it at $2M. 

Now that is a HOLY GRAIL. I knew it was out there somewhere. 

TMZ exclusive

I also found out on tmz 

43 minutes ago, Bronty said:

is it possible that the piece started out life similar to the 135 cover, which sold on heritage in 02?    

I have no idea.   But interesting to see what Romita's process was on a cover from a similar time.

3178311%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

I thought about ASM135 too. That’s why I’m wondering if it’s an “original” statted cover. Just wish it had a better resolution or informative copy written by someone other than a paparazzo. 

3 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:
4 hours ago, Will_K said:

Interesting.  Can you explain why/how that could happen ?  ComicConnect recently improved their web site (still quirky, though).  So I think they recognized that problem.  Do you see Hake's doing something to catch up and pull away ??

Too much tom foolery and too much self-interest.  Have you ever been to their office?  So much amazing art hanging on the wall.... that they own.  When someone walks in and brings a major piece, Vinnie has been known to offer two deals.  1) I'll auction it in the next auction and take 10% or 2) you can walk out of here with $xxx,xxx.00 cash in hand and then CC owns it...

I can understand the self interest.  I've been to CC but never used them to sell anything.

3 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Then there's the tom foolery.  Their ridiculous auction format.  Heritage is straight forward.  Live auctioneer going piece by piece.  While I can proxy bid ahead of time, when the piece I want is featured, all of my attention is on that.  Even if there is two pieces in the auction I am interested in, only one piece is up at a time. CC has this stupid anti-snipe system

Hake's uses a similar methodology that extends bidding after the "official" closing of a lot.

I’ll be really disappointed if this piece has a reserve.  Chalk that up to the 2 WW books they had last auction that didn’t Sell. U start to get a reputation of bringing things to auction Only to garner interest in the auction Because the star pieces are priced out if the market and it’s possible the seller never had any attention on selling anyway.  Just getting a feel for the market place