• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM129 cover to hit ComicConnect
3 3

115 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Nothing about "$2m" is accidental, including when/where/why/how of media coverage.

Well, there was that puff piece that came out before the last Heritage auction, touting that Frazetta recreation's potential to eclipse the $5.4 million record set by Egyptian Queen.  It turned out to be 100% hot air and had nothing to do with dropping hints as to the reserve price or where a guaranteed sale had been pre-arranged.   

40 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

2M is hyperbole. GLL/GA 76, another iconic cover of the era sold for what $400k? ASM100 sold for $400k two years ago? The market has gone up, but not that much for the iconic grail pieces. 

The only stuff breaking the $1m mark is painted covers that have crossover appeal to the fantasy markets (that have far deeper pockets). Frazetta has topped $1m, but no one else. 

I think if in the absence of any issues its a seven figure cover, absolutely.

GL76 is a personal favorite of mine, but... DC... not a first appearance... not comparable in today's market.

Edited by Bronty

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think if in the absence of any issues its a seven figure cover, absolutely.

GL76 is a personal favorite of mine, but... DC... not a first appearance... not comparable in today's market.

agreed GL76 isnt a 1st appearance, but it is an iconic cover, widely desired. 

What evidence points you to think it will top $1m? 

If this sells for 2 Million, I really feel like that first Wolvie panel page was a helluva deal ( I actually already thought that!). I was kinda surprised that Wolverine panel didn't break 1 Million in the first place. Had I to pick between the two, I think I would go with the Wolverine, I know crazy! All moot because I am a poor slob.

19 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Well, there was that puff piece that came out before the last Heritage auction, touting that Frazetta recreation's potential to eclipse the $5.4 million record set by Egyptian Queen.  It turned out to be 100% hot air and had nothing to do with dropping hints as to the reserve price or where a guaranteed sale had been pre-arranged.   

Yes. That begs the question of where they got that number from? Certainly it wasn't any of us! Nobody posted here affirmative on that.

52 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

agreed GL76 isnt a 1st appearance, but it is an iconic cover, widely desired. 

What evidence points you to think it will top $1m? 

You'll note that I wrote "in the absence of any issues".    So I'm not making any prediction other than the theoretical - if it showed up in perfect condition, I'd expect seven figures, absolutely.   

Evidence?  Of something that hasn't happened yet and categorically won't happen with the limitations I put on it?    Can't prove a negative, right?

But its exactly the kind of thing that would go ape.    I don't know if Tom Fish was offered the cover, but he's known to go after 1st appearance covers aggressively.  He won that Hulk 180 panel if I recall.     I don't know him except on these boards but imagine it would be way up his alley.    It would be up a lot of people's alleys, which is precisely the point.

When it comes to bronze covers, the three biggest deals would be Hulk 181, ASM 129, GSX1.   At least as I see it.    You'll notice GL76 did not make that list.   Its amazing but not at the same level value wise IMO.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Truth...

And would be shocked if a TMZ reader ended up winning this.  Much more likely that we get more curious cats in the hobby.

27 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I can predict the thought process now

”I am an extremely wealthy individual that watches TMZ and has no connection to comics or the comic book and comic art collecting community but TMZ says $2 million so I gotta get me some of dat”

Don't forget Eminem.   He bought a vg avengers 2 at a con once.

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

2M is hyperbole. GLL/GA 76, another iconic cover of the era sold for what $400k? ASM100 sold for $400k two years ago? The market has gone up, but not that much for the iconic grail pieces. 

The only stuff breaking the $1m mark is painted covers that have crossover appeal to the fantasy markets (that have far deeper pockets). Frazetta has topped $1m, but no one else. 

It's interesting you mentioned that GL 76 cover, which had an endorsement from Neal Adams (i.e. he gave it his blessing on it being sold). Because that exact cover jumped into my mind, and not for the same reason you mention.

When I saw this article, the thing that immediately jumped out at me is when the article states "Gil Kane quietly and privately sold the piece to a private collector." I know that comment made previously about this being pulled from the printing press was tongue and cheek, and there's a whole rabbit hole to dive into which may easily accompany stories like that one, but given the valuation being thrown around on this, a similar blessing on the history and provenance (namely how Gil Kane got it in the first place) might clear the air, so to speak. my2cents

Edited by comicwiz

14 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

It's interesting you mentioned that GL 76 cover, which had an endorsement from Neal Adams (i.e. he gave it his blessing on it being sold). Because that exact cover jumped into my mind, and not for the same reason you mention.

When I saw this article, the thing that immediately jumped out at me is when the article states "Gil Kane quietly and privately sold the piece to a private collector." I know that comment made previously about this being pulled from the printing press was tongue and cheek, and there's a whole rabbit hole to dive into which may easily accompany stories like that one, but given the valuation being thrown around on this, a similar blessing on the history and provenance (namely how Gil Kane got it in the first place) might clear the air, so to speak. my2cents

I think Kane is credited with pencils on the cover and Romita with inks.   Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the body position of Spider-man especially is much more typical of Kane than Romita.    He may have simply had the art as a result of having worked on it.   Not sure.   But to address what you're implying you don't need to steal what's already yours, and that may have been the case here.

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I believe Wrightson also crossed the million dollar threshold with his work.

51 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think Kane is credited with pencils on the cover and Romita with inks.   Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the body position of Spider-man especially is much more typical of Kane than Romita.    He may have simply had the art as a result of having worked on it.   Not sure.   But to address what you're implying you don't need to steal what's already yours, and that may have been the case here.

The body position reminds me of Marvel Tales 34, which is also a Kane/Romita cover. MT 34 looks more Kane but ASM 129 looks more Romita to me. And FWIW artistic collaboration is certainly something to be noted, but the story about Archie Goodwin (AG) catching Kane in the act while he was EIC at Marvel was published, and (going by the published account of what happened) Romita was one of the artists he supposedly was caught with. As a matter of record, AG was there between '76-'78, so that is certainly something to be noted as well. Like you, I'm not sure either, and what you suggest may well be the case. And yet, this degree of uncertainty is usually a good enough reason (IMO) for that endorsement or blessing, but that's just my opinion.

image.thumb.png.d9654f9a5227bb4cd97a52a477bf380f.png

Edited by comicwiz

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Don't forget Eminem.   He bought a vg avengers 2 at a con once.

He must have 

🎵 lost himself

in the moment 🎵 

saw the VGO Avemgers 2 and said

you better own it 🎵 

5 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Looks like it may have been mold that was somewhat cleaned?

At any rate, I really never look at comicconnect and am blown away at the new website format. Definitely an improvement over the one they had forever, designed in 1995.

The Gold section consensus is that they are not fans of the new site