• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Transformers 1 defect
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I believe many Marvel Transformers 1 comics have a jagged back top cover edge.

The comic in question has the cover and multiple pages chopped off. See pic.

If CGC doesn't give a pass to this known manufacturing defect, what would the grade be based on the corner alone? Assume the rest of the book is 9.8.

Do you think CGC would ignore the defect?

Screenshot_2020-10-13_085219.jpg

1 minute ago, marvelmaniac said:

You peaked my curiosity, mine has the same defect, "slight jagged edge" at the outer top of the back cover and all interior pages.

It's common for this book. It's my belief that CGC gives it a pass but in the posted case I'm wondering if the corner is bad enough to cause a grade hit.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If it's truly a manufacturing defect, then it maxes out at 9.8 grade. If it's perfect other than this defect, then it should be a 9.8.

Got it, thanks! What if it's not considered a defect and the corner is taken into account when grading? Does it drop to a 9.2 or 9.0?

4 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

Got it, thanks! What if it's not considered a defect and the corner is taken into account when grading? Does it drop to a 9.2 or 9.0?

IMO, it's a 9.0 at worst if it's not accepted as a MFG defect, and if the rest of the book is Mint.

There's a lot of ifs involved in this scenario. I can't speak on CGC's behalf lol.

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

IMO, it's a 9.0 at worst if it's not accepted as a MFG defect, and if the rest of the book is Mint.

There's a lot of ifs involved in this scenario. I can't speak on CGC's behalf lol.

Cool, thanks! Yeah, I feel it'd be a real crapshoot depending on how CGC decides to handle it. Anywhere from a 9.8 to 9.0 and that assumes the rest of the book is perfect.

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

If it’s a known manufacturer defect, the grade will not take a hit.

if you show us the rest of the book, it will help us analyze it better?

based on this one single pic, the top edge appears to have a minor defect and likely already takes the book out of 9.8 contention

I meant to focus on the impact of the jagged corner, not the rest of the book.

My understanding is that CGC will ignore minor manufacturing defects that affect the majority of the run. However, if the defect is worse than the norm for that run, it will impact the grade. 

In this case the missing corner is unfortunately nasty so think the grade might get dinged down a lot. I don't think it would be as bad if the chip was elsewhere on the edge.

If the possible grade varies from 9.0 to 9.8, that graded price is $100 to $1400. If the book was bought dirt cheap it might still be worth sinking in pressing and grading fees to make a small return (worst case).

It's too risky to pay a high grade raw price since the CGC grade could have a wide range. The only way to know the outcome is to get it graded.

Edited by eastcoaster