• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another day, another ex-employee
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I had a guy stop in on Friday looking for work. He seemed nice enough, had a decent resume and had a six month old sheriffs card- which means he passed a basic background check six months ago.

I showed him around and he expressed interest in working on my comics and sports stuff. I told him he would be working on that eventually but right now I had other jobs for him. He spent six hours yesterday putting together shelving units that would have taken me two, but it was his first time and there is a learning curve. He comes in this morning and says he has a cousin that needs work, so why don't I let his cousin do the outside work and he can sort the comics. I tell him, again, that the comics are not a priority and to concentrate on the jobs I give him.  He works outside for maybe twenty minutes, tells me he is going to run to the store and he'll be back in ten minutes. Two hours later he comes back and tells me he has gotten another job and how I really blew it. That I'll never find another worker who knows as much as he does and is  willing to work so hard. 

I'm beginning to wonder if my building is on an Indian burial ground or something. 

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Bisbee- Where everyone wants a job but no one wants to work. It's a magical place.

You didn't have to go across the country for that... you could have just set up shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. 

(For non NY'ers - it's hipster central)

Edited by Buzzetta

That guy sounds like most of the failed hires that I worked with at a construction job I had last year.  Very familiar behavior. 

They are the guys who can't even work a shovel and say they need to be inside with the carpenters because they have mad skills.  Losers, every one of them.  They just can't do as they are told to do and it pains them that they have failed at everything they have done in life... and it is never their fault.  Imbeciles.

And that guy was definitely going to steal from you.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Bisbee- Where everyone wants a job but no one wants to work. It's a magical place.

Well they want to 'work'-but under their terms.
Work may consist of hanging out at starbucks with you footing the bill tho.

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

Bisbee, Arizona? The picturesque town in the bowl? That's an amazing little town! Had no idea it existed until I was on a road trip and had the best two days ever exploring it, assuming that's the Bisbee we're talking about....

45 minutes ago, lotofsilver said:

Bisbee, Arizona? The picturesque town in the bowl? That's an amazing little town! Had no idea it existed until I was on a road trip and had the best two days ever exploring it, assuming that's the Bisbee we're talking about....

That's the place. Bisbee, whose town motto is- We are all here because we are not all there.