• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photo Covers...Thoughts?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Do you like photo covers? Do you dislike them? If so why or why not? Do you collect them? And while we are at it post some favs! Or ones you hate! Or if you have any history like why were they used a lot in Westerns and Romances but not other genres? Why did they randomly disappear into the 60's. Why do they randomly pop up in some superhero comics from the 70s and 80s? A lot of questions to hopefully spark discussion.

Personally, I am NOT a huge fan or one who would collect these types of covers. There is something about photography that I just cannot put on the same level as someone drawing. I understand it is an art but for me, I just cannot appreciate it the same way. For example this is terrible...

Spider-Woman Vol 1 50 | Marvel Database | Fandom

The poor completionists who have to suffer as they add this to their run.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

Dislike.

Apart from hilarious ones such as the Rifleman cover.

There are always exceptions.

But is that one you would actually want to own? Like for me, I find it hilarious sure, but even more hilarious is that there is a market to get a decent chunk of money for that book. And to me that is worth more than actually having that book. 

And what really makes that desired? Is it the innuendo? Is it because it was believed to not be intentional? What if someone like the original actors or whoever came out one day and said "yeah, we did it on purpose" would that drive collectibility up or down? Or is it more because of the times, the fact that it was what 70 years ago or so. Make that cover today and it just gets a laugh but I doubt it gets any value. 

It’s because I have a sense of humour, but not so much that I’d pay a current, nosebleed price for it.

Brits like innuendo.

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

It’s because I have a sense of humour, but not so much that I’d pay a current, nosebleed price for it.

Brits like innuendo.

Oh I agree it is hilarious. I just feel at the end of the day, even if I found one for a reasonable price, I would laugh, show a few people and then likely sell to put towards something much more important...at least in my eyes. 

Would it have the same effect if it had been drawn instead of a photograph? I wonder hm

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Oh I agree it is hilarious. I just feel at the end of the day, even if I found one for a reasonable price, I would laugh, show a few people and then likely sell to put towards something much more important...at least in my eyes. 

Would it have the same effect if it had been drawn instead of a photograph? I wonder hm

It would’ve been okay to keep in the collection if I’d picked up a nice condition copy for $5 or $10 a couple of decades ago, but it’s not that funny, I agree.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Do you like photo covers? Do you dislike them? If so why or why not? Do you collect them? And while we are at it post some favs! Or ones you hate! Or if you have any history like why were they used a lot in Westerns and Romances but not other genres? Why did they randomly disappear into the 60's. Why do they randomly pop up in some superhero comics from the 70s and 80s? A lot of questions to hopefully spark discussion.

Personally, I am NOT a huge fan or one who would collect these types of covers. There is something about photography that I just cannot put on the same level as someone drawing. I understand it is an art but for me, I just cannot appreciate it the same way. For example this is terrible...

Spider-Woman Vol 1 50 | Marvel Database | Fandom   

This is not a photo cover.