• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know that it's PGX but how does this guy get so many 10.0?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Question: "I know that it's PGX but how does this guy get so many 10.0?"

Answer: "It's PGX"

Alternate answer:  PGX 10 might be a CGC 9.8, but you'd have to pay for CGC grading to find out, so it's safer to assume PGX 10 is "raw 9.6".

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Question: "I know that it's PGX but how does this guy get so many 10.0?"

Answer: "It's PGX"

Alternate answer:  PGX 10 might be a CGC 9.8, but you'd have to pay for CGC grading to find out, so it's safer to assume PGX 10 is "raw 9.6".

Fair enough.  

When searching ebay for pgx 10.0 I get 72 results.  When searching ebay for pgx I get 6111 results.  So my chances of getting a 10.0 is  1 in 85
When searching ebay for CGC 10.0 I get 59 results.  When searching ebay for CGC I get 186,877.  So my chances of getting a 10.0 is 1 in 3177

Admittedly this isn't an exact science as PGX may grade more moderns percentagewise than CGC and I'm getting results like Looks like CGC 10.0 etc but this clearly shows that PGX grades far far looser at the 10.0 range and likely the 9.8 and 9.9 range.

On 10/15/2020 at 12:00 PM, thehumantorch said:

Fair enough.  

When searching ebay for pgx 10.0 I get 72 results.  When searching ebay for pgx I get 6111 results.  So my chances of getting a 10.0 is  1 in 85
When searching ebay for CGC 10.0 I get 59 results.  When searching ebay for CGC I get 186,877.  So my chances of getting a 10.0 is 1 in 3177

Admittedly this isn't an exact science as PGX may grade more moderns percentagewise than CGC and I'm getting results like Looks like CGC 10.0 etc but this clearly shows that PGX grades far far looser at the 10.0 range and likely the 9.8 and 9.9 range.

That is pretty accurate math imo.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:01 PM, thehumantorch said:

Dave

I think if you send a few extra dollars, Patterson will give you all the 10s you want.

Kind of that secret menu deal with restaurants.

34 minutes ago, telerites said:

Dave

I think if you send a few extra dollars, Patterson will give you all the 10s you want.

Kind of that secret menu deal with restaurants.

And that’s what I’m wondering about.  I’m not throwing this seller under a bus but can’t help but wonder why he sells only pgx and why he has so many 10.0 graded pgx books.  Is it possible he has a relationship with pgx beyond the basic submit books for grading?

16 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

And that’s what I’m wondering about.  I’m not throwing this seller under a bus but can’t help but wonder why he sells only pgx and why he has so many 10.0 graded pgx books.  Is it possible he has a relationship with pgx beyond the basic submit books for grading?

hm

PGX has been around for what, fifteen years or so? Evidently they are doing well enough to continue in operation.  I don't trust them and I generally don't buy from them. Their failure to adopt the new Newton Ring technology is rather appalling. It's as if they don't even care about it.