• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fleischer Studios 'Superman' Upscaled To 4k Using Neural Networks

8 posts in this topic

WOW @DavidTheDavid! That is really incredible. The video quality is amazing ...... making me wonder if/when we will see more efforts like this using AI. Thank you for sharing!

I also thought it was fun to note some of the things in this video were / are prevalent in other major story lines through the years. The more things change the more they stay the same :)

1) The "Bulleteers" were headquartered in what looked to be a very "cave" like environment in which their car launches from a secret entrance. 
2) The "Bulleteers" vehicle utilized a transforming technique to morph between car / airplane / rocket.  

Hmmm, I'm curious. Original film is able to blow up to a large scale and holds a great amount of definition. Obvious if you think about how you project from a 35MM or 70MM film in a projector room onto a giant screen in a big theater. It's also why you can take old film and blow up and still get some great detail as it's analog and not digital (pixelated.) So if they had high quality masters I wonder what the limitations are on getting to 4K? The other aspect is frame rate which might make more sense if the process extrapolated frames and in between animation to create a better image. Any details on any of this? It doesn't look like they did that from what I can tell.

Now if Warner Brothers, or whoever owns the good original prints of these, would only do a 4k scan of these it would be great instead of doing fake 4k. Or even other great prints that are out there. Dave Butler of Bosko Video had the best prints of these cartoons outside of the ones Warner Brothers has and the VHS tapes he but out in the early 90s are still the best quality transfers of these cartoons I have seen. Butler died in like 2001 and I have no idea what happened to all his films. He had great prints of almost everything. Someone needs to do 4K scans of this stuff since they are public domain anyway.

20 hours ago, catman76 said:

Now if Warner Brothers, or whoever owns the good original prints of these, would only do a 4k scan of these it would be great instead of doing fake 4k. Or even other great prints that are out there. Dave Butler of Bosko Video had the best prints of these cartoons outside of the ones Warner Brothers has and the VHS tapes he but out in the early 90s are still the best quality transfers of these cartoons I have seen. Butler died in like 2001 and I have no idea what happened to all his films. He had great prints of almost everything. Someone needs to do 4K scans of this stuff since they are public domain anyway.

With Warner now owned by ATT the chances of them doing that is probably zero. It wouldn't even surprise me if they start destroying some of these old assets to save on storage costs! It's sad but just a fact of life in corporate America. And who knows if they even still had original prints of these anyway.