• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics Show Up in the Strangest of Places! Here’s mine... what’s yours?

32 posts in this topic

I love comic books. :cloud9: 

Given you’re reading this, I bet you do too. I‘ve loved ‘em since I first started reading them in 1978. That’s a lot of love. They were good friends when I had few, and their stories gave me hope and healing when I needed it most. (Thank you, Stan Lee and countless others!) (thumbsu

So, when I began my new YouTube series, What if a Therapist Reported the News?, I wanted my comic books in my background. Take a look at most any of the episodes here.. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW3MmwKez76a51rQRp17qwQ 

... and you see them to my right. I’m sure that’s an unexpected scene to viewers watching a therapist, perhaps as unexpected as watching a therapist report the news!

That got me wondering... what are some of the strangest places you’ve seen comic books? Curious minds want to know! :foryou:

P.S. Just for fun: I’ll find some really good comic-oriented prize for the person who can name each of the visible comics/comic-volumes in the background of Episode 5!

2 hours ago, Dr Carl said:

I love comic books. :cloud9: 

Given you’re reading this, I bet you do too. I‘ve loved ‘em since I first started reading them in 1978. That’s a lot of love. They were good friends when I had few, and their stories gave me hope and healing when I needed it most. (Thank you, Stan Lee and countless others!) (thumbsu

So, when I began my new YouTube series, What if a Therapist Reported the News?, I wanted my comic books in my background. Take a look at most any of the episodes here.. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW3MmwKez76a51rQRp17qwQ 

... and you see them to my right. I’m sure that’s an unexpected scene to viewers watching a therapist, perhaps as unexpected as watching a therapist report the news!

That got me wondering... what are some of the strangest places you’ve seen comic books? Curious minds want to know! :foryou:

P.S. Just for fun: I’ll find some really good comic-oriented prize for the person who can name each of the visible comics/comic-volumes in the background of Episode 5!

What I can make out

Black Hammer #1 (Lemiere Variant)

Black Hammer #1 (Convention Variant)

Black Hammer #2

Slabbed Detective Comics #25?

The other slab can only make out a UN in the name.

Some little Spider-man reader books.

14 hours ago, Crops068 said:

What I can make out

Black Hammer #1 (Lemiere Variant)

Black Hammer #1 (Convention Variant)

Black Hammer #2

Slabbed Detective Comics #25?

The other slab can only make out a UN in the name.

Some little Spider-man reader books.

I’d say, to win the prize, and to add a touch of challenge, can you also identify the the slab with UN in the name hm... it’s a Golden Age classic cover... and behind the Spider Man readers are three classic comic collection volumes — can you name them?  hm I think victory may be within reach here! And we may soon have a winner! :foryou:

Oh, and while I’m thinking of it... another very strange place where I recently found comic books (this time for sale): A new flower shop opened in town. Turns out the owner’s husband is a comic book collector, so at the back of this florist’s shop are a bunch of moderns — new weekly’s and modern slabs — for sale. Never through I’d find comics in a flower shop, but hey, if a Detective Comics 27 (or was it an Action 1?) can show up behind dry wall, anything’s possible!

18 minutes ago, Dr Carl said:

I’d say, to win the prize, and to add a touch of challenge, can you also identify the the slab with UN in the name hm... it’s a Golden Age classic cover... and behind the Spider Man readers are three classic comic collection volumes — can you name them?  hm I think victory may be within reach here! And we may soon have a winner! :foryou:

Well you did say visible and that is rather relative.  The glare makes the other slabbed book pretty tough to make out, so I am just guessing it is an issue if Fun Comics?

As for the collected volumes, even with zooming in I cannot make much of anything out.  Maybe Captain America and Strange Tales.  The middle though is completely illegible.

If someone else can make them out, by all means answer away. :)

I have a few entries to "weirdest place I have found a comic"

1. under the intake manifold on a 454 Chevy big block! Was used as a gasket and had holes cut in it!

2. inside the wall of a house. Removing the interior wall to replace it and found comics. One was a Batman #2.

3. inside a picture frame hidden behind a photo.

Was performing in the ballet Coppelia and I looked down in the orchestra pit and one of the symphony members was reading the Incredible Hulk over his music sheet.  

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Was performing in the ballet Coppelia and I looked down in the orchestra pit and one of the symphony members was reading the Incredible Hulk over his music sheet.  

You better watch it!

6 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Well you did say visible and that is rather relative.  The glare makes the other slabbed book pretty tough to make out, so I am just guessing it is an issue if Fun Comics?

As for the collected volumes, even with zooming in I cannot make much of anything out.  Maybe Captain America and Strange Tales.  The middle though is completely illegible.

If someone else can make them out, by all means answer away. :)

That sounds totally fair. (thumbsu

Let see if anyone can make them out, and, if not (and assuming you’ve named all the books correctly), we’ll crown you champion. 

Anyone else want to give it a go... or do I already have a possible ^^  ?

As far as finding comics there have been many strange places over the years. Back in the late 80s and early 90s I used to put up an ad saying old comics wanted on those bulletin boards that used to be in grocery stores where you could put up an ad for anything you were selling or wanted. Are they still around? I don't know.

I got a call once from a guy with a bunch of 60s and 70s comics that he had stored in boxes on shelves in the middle of his machine shop. Most of the comics were fine surprisingly and only a few had damage from splattering oil and coolant that soaked through the boxes. I stupidly left behind a full box of 70s ghost rider comics for some reason there too. He also had boxes of world war 2 stiuff his father had collected, german helments, japanese grenades, ration kits. All this stuff was in a dirty machine shop. It was weird. There were also nude pinups hanging all over the shop, and I mean hustler style pinups lol 

Another time a guy called and I show up at his house and he has comics piled inside a canoe hanging his garage. I left behind old 60s Hot Rod magazines that were in that canoe too. Now I wish I would have bought them too.

16 hours ago, Dr Carl said:

I’d say, to win the prize, and to add a touch of challenge, can you also identify the the slab with UN in the name hm... it’s a Golden Age classic cover... 

More Fun Comics #61 (thumbsu

In my hunt for comics in my relatively small region, I ventured to a bong shop that was rumoured to have comics. 

They did. And the prices were higher than the staff. $25 for copies of X-Men #1 from 1990, I pulled out a Spider-Man #2099 #1 priced at $60!!! Oh and these were on comics in bags, no boards and just thrown/stacked into bins. They also were skunkier than Pepe Le Pew.

But alas, leave no stoned unturned...

Edited by comicginger1789

45 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

In my hunt for comics in my relatively small region, I ventured to a bong shop that was rumoured to have comics. 

They did. And the prices were higher than the staff. $25 for copies of X-Men #1 from 1990, I pulled out a Spider-Man #2099 #1 priced at $60!!! Oh and these were on comics in bags, no boards and just thrown/stacked into bins. They also were skunkier than Pepe Le Pew.

But alas, leave no stoned unturned...

Excellent punnage, good sir. :golfclap:

18 hours ago, catman76 said:

As far as finding comics there have been many strange places over the years. Back in the late 80s and early 90s I used to put up an ad saying old comics wanted on those bulletin boards that used to be in grocery stores where you could put up an ad for anything you were selling or wanted. Are they still around? I don't know.

I got a call once from a guy with a bunch of 60s and 70s comics that he had stored in boxes on shelves in the middle of his machine shop. Most of the comics were fine surprisingly and only a few had damage from splattering oil and coolant that soaked through the boxes. I stupidly left behind a full box of 70s ghost rider comics for some reason there too. He also had boxes of world war 2 stiuff his father had collected, german helments, japanese grenades, ration kits. All this stuff was in a dirty machine shop. It was weird. There were also nude pinups hanging all over the shop, and I mean hustler style pinups lol 

Another time a guy called and I show up at his house and he has comics piled inside a canoe hanging his garage. I left behind old 60s Hot Rod magazines that were in that canoe too. Now I wish I would have bought them too.

I always say, you are rarely sorry what you find, but are usually more sorry what you left behind...

That WWII stuff was probably worth a bundle...