• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics Show Up in the Strangest of Places! Here’s mine... what’s yours?

32 posts in this topic

I actually found my copy of AF 15 in a therapist office. For some reason, he thought putting a couple of five figure books on display in his waiting room was a good idea.:baiting:

Edited by shadroch

Strangest place I've found comics was in a bar in New Orleans.

About 1984 or so, I'm in the French Quarter investigating dive bars early one morning when I stumble into one of the more wretched places and the bartender is reading a Strange Tales 101. 

I assume it is a reprint but he shows me and its not. He says he mentioned to a customer that he liked the X-Men and the guy said he had some old comics that a former roommate had left behind. He shows me the stack and its a bunch of Atlas/Marvel from the ten cent era and a few twelve cent ones. Bartender says he reads new comics and these are boring. He gladly takes $20 for the bunch. Now I'm sitting in a raunchy bar, with a few drunks, with my unbagged trove of comics.  I walk about two blocks to a gift shop and ask if I can have a bag, which they happily sold me for a quarter. I take them back to my hotel a few blocks away and spend the morning reading pre-hero Marvel short stories when I was supposed to be hitting the diviest bars in Nawlins.

It wasn't a tremendous score at the time, as Strange Tales were a slow mover, and the pre-hero phase was a good decade away. I still have the 101 and I'd call it a weak Very Good, the others are most likely long gone.  I fell in love with the 107 cover- Torch vs Namor but that was pretty low grade as I recall.These had been well read before I got them. There was a 111 and a 114, which surprised me as I was not aware of a Captain America appearance before Avengers 4. The one I really wanted - Strange Tales with Fin Fang Foom wasn't there either.

Now that I'm thinking about, that $20 might have been put to better use if I'd stuck to my original plan.

22 hours ago, shadroch said:

I actually found my copy of AF 15 in a therapist office. For some reason, he thought putting a couple of five figure books on display in his waiting room was a good idea.:baiting:

lol and true! You, my friend, have the best memory :applause:

18 hours ago, Dr Carl said:
On 10/16/2020 at 8:16 AM, valiantman said:

More Fun Comics #61 (thumbsu

Very nicely done :foryou:... any guesses on the Marvel collections on the top shelf?

Sorry, I don't recognize the newer stuff (collections, reprints, etc.) but the originals are "classic". 

Would I be wrong if I said I don't think your Detective Comics #25 is in a CGC case? :gossip:

On 10/18/2020 at 1:49 PM, Dr Carl said:

lol and true! You, my friend, have the best memory :applause:

When we getting the answers to all the questions to the known universe?

And by known universe I mean the books on your shelf there. :)

Edited by Crops068

On 10/19/2020 at 7:04 AM, valiantman said:

Sorry, I don't recognize the newer stuff (collections, reprints, etc.) but the originals are "classic". 

Would I be wrong if I said I don't think your Detective Comics #25 is in a CGC case? :gossip:

You would be right! Nicely done... :applause:

It’s in a competitors case, as it’s part of the run (hiding behind the #25) of Tec 25 to 37 all from the DC archives. The competitor was able to verify the authenticity of the books heritage, and put “from the DC archives” on the label. (thumbsu

(Oh, one important clarifier: In that run from Tec 25 to 37, I’m only missing one book... yes, Tec 27.) 

9 hours ago, Crops068 said:

When we getting the answers to all the questions to the known universe?

And by known universe I mean the books on your shelf there. :)

My apologies for being away from the thread all week. Oh man... what a week! 

Thankfully, I’ve got two days to spend with my daughter, wife, and friends on the boards!

Ok, let’s talk about what’s on the shelves and award prizes (at last):

Bottom shelf: Black Hammer 1 (variant cover), Black Hammer 1 (2017 convention edition), Black Hammer 2 

Middle shelf: More Fun 61, Tec 25

Top Shelf (back): Son of Origins of Marvel Comics, Origins of Marvel Comics, Marvel’s Greatest Superhero Battles

Top Shelf (front): Stan Lee Presents the Amazing Spiderman (Volumes 1, 2 and 3)

:foryou:

So... what to do with prizes... we’ve got the wonderful Crops068 getting the bottom row & 1/2 the middle row... and then we’ve got the appropriately-named Valiant-Man getting the missing book from the middle row (More Fun 61). Let’s just give you both prizes. That seems only fair. Just PM me and let me know if you’d prefer a great read from the world of graphic novels or if you’d like me to pick up a few moderns for you when I’m at the comic shop this weekend 

(thumbsu