• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return shipping to Europe
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I live in the Netherlands and like to sent some comics to CGC but the return shipping worry's me.

I asked CGC how it works and they only said that i must take care of the return shipping. Does that mean that i need to pay an additional fee or need someone to collect them for me and sent them to me?

9 hours ago, Rubenmin said:

I live in the Netherlands and like to sent some comics to CGC but the return shipping worry's me.

I asked CGC how it works and they only said that i must take care of the return shipping. Does that mean that i need to pay an additional fee or need someone to collect them for me and sent them to me?

Your question is reasonable, but I feel like you should press CGC customers service about this question.  I think basically they mean you have to pay for it, including all related taxes, customs, etc.  But they should have some options available, though they may not be the cheapest one.  People with their own UPS or DHL or FEDEX accounts may have better options.  But you should have the CGC customer service walk you through the process.

12 hours ago, Rubenmin said:

Would sending your books to CGC's London office be an option? I would think it would be cheaper to send/return your books from London compared to Florida.

The return shipping/insurance is not a linear progression. I think that the minimum charge when I started sending to another slabbing company from the UK was $60 plus for one or two comics which was not really financially viable so I found that sending batches of ten being $120 return postage was much more viable. I have always found that sending comics direct to slabbing companies was the best alternative as any "middle man" would add on their own charges.

17 hours ago, Redshade said:

The return shipping/insurance is not a linear progression. I think that the minimum charge when I started sending to another slabbing company from the UK was $60 plus for one or two comics which was not really financially viable so I found that sending batches of ten being $120 return postage was much more viable. I have always found that sending comics direct to slabbing companies was the best alternative as any "middle man" would add on their own charges.

good points, economies of scale are worth considering as well, or middlemen.  In SOME cases (at least in America), there are comic shops that will help you with group submissions too, which might be a bit slower but help split shipping costs.  That may exist also in Europe in some places, although in a COVID situation that might be even tougher than before.  Just some stuff to consider

44 minutes ago, kasharic said:

Hi. I'm UK based, and I ship reguarly to CGC via the London office. I'd be happy to discuss sharing submissions with you, and arranging return delivery back to Netherlands. Drop me a message if you wish to discuss.

But please be aware that there are no graders in London. All comics are forwarded on to the US and back.

8 hours ago, Redshade said:

But please be aware that there are no graders in London. All comics are forwarded on to the US and back.

That's correct. The international shipping fees are inclusive within the submission cost. The shipping I do need to pay is getting the books to and from London.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:45 PM, Math Teacher said:

Would sending your books to CGC's London office be an option? I would think it would be cheaper to send/return your books from London compared to Florida.

I checked it and, unfortunately, you can’t send your comics to London, but only drop them off. Meaning that if you don’t live in London, your only option is to send everything to Florida... The cost of return are pretty high and it’s almost not worth it to do it unless you send a lot of comics at the sane time.

The shipment cost for my last submission (I’m living in Switzerland), was 150$ for 8 comics, which is f****** expensive. Indeed, CGC only give you the FEDEX choice (in Switzerland at least) which will cost you a minimum of 95$ (If you submit enough comics, otherwise the price will be between 120-180$). To that, you need to add the cost to send the comics to CGC (which was 55$ for me)...

Believe me, do not send less than 7-8 books for each of your submission, when living in EU, or you will regret it.

As a newbie on this forum (and apologies if this idea has been mentioned before), I find it strange that CGC as a company has not thought to train people from other countries to become graders. If there were graders in Europe, Africa, Asia, South America and Australia, that would save collectors in those continents excessive shipping costs to and from Florida.

I’m not saying CGC should have a base in every major country around the world, but in Europe, for instance, if there was a base in London or Paris (as just two examples), sending books to and receiving slabs back from either of those two cities must be cheaper for any European collector, than to send them all the way to Florida and back!

Apart from Europe, North America and Canada, there could be a small number of graders in the other continents I’ve already mentioned, able to cover major cities in those areas! If (and I know it’s a big if), this could be implemented by CGC, it would take the pressure off the graders in Florida and turnaround times would be much quicker, particularly for the collectors in the US and Canada.

Training worldwide graders would be expensive, but if it meant CGC charging a bit more for their services to pay for it, would world wide collectors be happy with the trade off of getting their books back quicker than they are right now!

I’m sure many of you are shaking your heads in disbelief at my suggestion (probably because this idea has been shot down before), and I realise I’m expecting unicorns at the end of a rainbow, but just thought I would put this out there, just so I can be ridiculed. LOL.

Andy

On 1/6/2021 at 3:18 AM, MARVELous Fan said:

As a newbie on this forum (and apologies if this idea has been mentioned before), I find it strange that CGC as a company has not thought to train people from other countries to become graders. If there were graders in Europe, Africa, Asia, South America and Australia, that would save collectors in those continents excessive shipping costs to and from Florida.

I’m not saying CGC should have a base in every major country around the world, but in Europe, for instance, if there was a base in London or Paris (as just two examples), sending books to and receiving slabs back from either of those two cities must be cheaper for any European collector, than to send them all the way to Florida and back!

Apart from Europe, North America and Canada, there could be a small number of graders in the other continents I’ve already mentioned, able to cover major cities in those areas! If (and I know it’s a big if), this could be implemented by CGC, it would take the pressure off the graders in Florida and turnaround times would be much quicker, particularly for the collectors in the US and Canada.

Training worldwide graders would be expensive, but if it meant CGC charging a bit more for their services to pay for it, would world wide collectors be happy with the trade off of getting their books back quicker than they are right now!

I’m sure many of you are shaking your heads in disbelief at my suggestion (probably because this idea has been shot down before), and I realise I’m expecting unicorns at the end of a rainbow, but just thought I would put this out there, just so I can be ridiculed. LOL.

Andy

I’m not saying there isn’t merit to your proposal, but the among other things there would be a major concern with consistency.