• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in -- PGM JIM 103
3 3

19 posts in this topic

Hi:  Would appreciate help in grading my lower grade JIM 103.  Someone decided it was a good idea (shrug) to punch a hole (with a hole puncher) on cover - top right.  Has other wear/issues.

Thanks for your help

Image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

Edited by buddy2

I saw an AF #15 with three (3!) punch holes through the left-hand side of the book, and it was graded at CGC 3.0. Even though there is significant wear, I would think it would earn at least a 3.0. My question would be, "Would this book get a purple label because of the signature on the label?" I ask because I'm pretty sure I have seen this with other books with signatures on the front cover; not every book with a name on the cover gets a purple label, but, as I said, I believe that some books have.

1 hour ago, buddy2 said:

@Joe Ankenbauer  Thanks for the info.  I would never had guessed that would be a possibility. 

Thanks everyone for the help

I'm not sure how a small neat signature like the one on this book would translate to a purple label unless it was put there to cover up color touch...interesting.

This looks to be in the 3.0 - 3.5 range...

15 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I saw an AF #15 with three (3!) punch holes through the left-hand side of the book, and it was graded at CGC 3.0. Even though there is significant wear, I would think it would earn at least a 3.0. My question would be, "Would this book get a purple label because of the signature on the label?" I ask because I'm pretty sure I have seen this with other books with signatures on the front cover; not every book with a name on the cover gets a purple label, but, as I said, I believe that some books have.

I recall a seller in San Diego having three hole punched a ton of comics and then bound them back in the late sixties. Really unfortunate and done with the best of intentions. He had close to a complete set of Marvel silver age all bound up like that. I have to wonder how many still drift around.  I bought a mess of JIM's from him that were not bound, all in lower grade conditions. 

20 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

"Would this book get a purple label because of the signature on the label?" 

That is not a signature of anyone related to the comic. It is some kid or former owner writing their name. Even with that on there, it would grade blue. 100%

And as for the effect the signature has, believe it or not it would have less effect that the hole punch hole. If the hole was gone and the name remained, easy 4.0 book I believe.

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

That is not a signature of anyone related to the comic. It is some kid or former owner writing their name. Even with that on there, it would grade blue. 100%

And as for the effect the signature has, believe it or not it would have less effect that the hole punch hole. If the hole was gone and the name remained, easy 4.0 book I believe.

I grade the roundness of the hole punch at a 10.0 with perfect centering