• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Pokemon Cards the new collectible like comics?
3 3

119 posts in this topic

Number 1 trending video on youtube is some guy picking up a slabbed pokemon card for 100k.  I have no idea who he is but it was really fun watching him pick up his grail.

I don't know much about pokemon cards but the way they talk is very similar to how we collect our keys especially when I watched him on Heritage bidding in the 2nd video (also loved seeing the Frazetta painting in the background) .  

Looks like there is a lot of nostalgia about pokemon cards now because its about the 20 year anniversary...

Just wait for those Yugioh cards- Dark Magician girl MFC 1st edition  is probably the next big bad card to spike hard.

They will definitely be seeing some desirability now, especially the first generation of cards. Those "kids" that had them are getting into adulthood, becoming nostalgic and seeking out something they enjoyed from childhood. Much like comic collectors do. Realistically, something as big as Pokemon, although the card phenomenon died down initially, was bound to have some resurgence. Enough people cared about it what, 20 years ago and now enough people are caring about it again as young adults. 

The key too is that although the cards slowed tremendously, video games and other stuff have carried that franchise along. Now you have fans looking to get back to the "origin" of the hobby/genre/whatever ya call it. 

You can't say the same about beanie babies or pogs or crazy bones. Those were fads that came and went and are unlikely to ever see resurgence in the collecting world. They will continue to be a much smaller (and shrinking market) if any market at all I fear. 

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:whatthe:

I have this exact card, too!

Really????  What grade?  

I remember when  dark magician  girl  was 40 dollars... then the next thing I knew, it shot up to 799 for a grade 9.... Now its about a $1800 for that grade... and we aren't even  close to the rule of 25.

Edited by Wolverinex

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Really????  What grade?  

I'm not familiar with card grades, but it's gotta be close to NM. I think it's been double-sleeved ever since I bought it.

It's in my box of 30 cards, that I used to use in my deck, and are "to keep" for nostalgia purposes. 3x Kaiba Starter Deck BEWD, a Yugi Dark Magician, Dark Magician of Chaos, Black Luster Soldier, etc.

All vintage stuff. :D

The question is, will Pokemon be evergreen like comics? (Ok "evergreen" is a stretch, but at least lasting multiple generations)

With the continued release of video games and cards, it's spanned nearly two generations now, ranging from fans born in the late 80s/early 90s to fans born in the 2010s)

The 2nd and 3rd tier card games dont seem to have survived (besides MagicTG). 

29 minutes ago, CreepingTerror said:
5 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I hope so. If there is a healthy Card market it’s a solid bet that the comic book market will remain strong 

What's the connection? Why would the Pokemon market affect comic prices at all?

Probably not a direct connection, but I think a lot of concern has been that the next generation won't bother collecting "physical things" since pretty much everything fun has been digital for kids for a decade or two.  A healthy card market is a healthy "people still collect actual things" market - specifically pop culture things - which could be good news in the long term for comic books.

51 minutes ago, CreepingTerror said:

What's the connection? Why would the Pokemon market affect comic prices at all?

The primary reason is that a rising tide lifts all boats and the opposite is true also. I’d anticipate you will see cracks in all collectors markets when you start to see a downturn in comic prices. We make fun of beanie babies but I just checked eBay and there have been over 37000 sold listings with many 5 figure sales prices. Lol. 

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not familiar with card grades, but it's gotta be close to NM. I think it's been double-sleeved ever since I bought it.

It's in my box of 30 cards, that I used to use in my deck, and are "to keep" for nostalgia purposes. 3x Kaiba Starter Deck BEWD, a Yugi Dark Magician, Dark Magician of Chaos, Black Luster Soldier, etc.

All vintage stuff. :D

U should grade your Dark Magician girl...

This guy sold his gem mint 10  for 2500 last year....

It's now currently being bidded at near 4k on ebay right now.... and we haven't hit prime time yet like Pokemon...give it a few more years and this card is going to go insane.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YuGiOh-PSA-10-Dark-Magician-Girl-1st-Edition-MFC-000-Magicians-Force-Secret-Rare/254744236935?hash=item3b4ff09387:g:~48AAOSwC-1fgFN2

Edited by Wolverinex