• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM FF10 - Signed by Kirby
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I am also around 5.5. Yes there is chipping but I have seen similar get graded higher.

As for signature, my juvenile detective work. Here are some confirmed signatureskirbysig.png.524ee27fbfd922df517785da53cddbdf.png

Here are a couple more believed to be legitimate

IMAG0140.jpg.eaac5f8701e40c392c40c7d1f31

A quick search of many more reveals that, consistently, the bottom of the "J" is a tight point. The "K" is also very angled. These letters should be very consistent when looking at signatures because the focus is on the start and usually there is the most focus on this when writing, so it is always good to compare those.

The original poster's signature looks very good. I would be comfortable believing it legitimate if you aren't going to have someone with professional experience verify. 

However, the one that @csaag shared would have me more concerned. Not as many examples of that style of signature. Large loop at the bottom of the "J" and it is less pointy. Also, the angle of the signature seems off. The "K" in Kirby is almost always leaning forward a bit, like it could fall. This one is leaning back. Also note the "k" at the end of the signature in Jack. It has an odd wiggle to it. The above signatures end fluently but this is an odd squiggle which could suggest someone else doing it and not being as familiar with writing it out.

kirbysig2.png.ec3b2f50b0b7a30df6ace4b7d8dd62b6.png

Again, just some things I noticed. If someone told me one was fake, I would bet on that one 100%. But again, I am not an expert. Just what I see. I know that if you spend a week, you can be surprised how close you come to replicating a signature. To the point where it looks darn good but there are always minor things to watch out for.

Another thing to consider is the history of the book. If you acquired a book pre-1990, and it had his signature at that time, I would feel much more confident in saying it is legitimate. No real reason to forge back then and the signature collector market was even smaller back then. If you acquired it in the last 20 years and the person selling it really tried to lean on the fact it was a Kirby signature, I would be wary. 

Edited by comicginger1789

being the only one out of my whole collection to have a sig, I did send it to the 'other company' and it did get verified.

Before doing that I was able to get one of their executives who was a sig collector to give an opinion and he thought it was legit too.  

Anyway, having bought the book ~ 1980 in the back issue bins, I wouldn't think there'd be that many fake sigs at that time.

I still remember being thrilled at the time when I got home and opened it up to read it.

4 minutes ago, csaag said:

being the only one out of my whole collection to have a sig, I did send it to the 'other company' and it did get verified.

Before doing that I was able to get one of their executives who was a sig collector to give an opinion and he thought it was legit too.  

Anyway, having bought the book ~ 1980 in the back issue bins, I wouldn't think there'd be that many fake sigs at that time.

I still remember being thrilled at the time when I got home and opened it up to read it.

See now that bit of info changes everything. Having a Kirby sig on a book in 1980 was not gonna do much for the book, unless it was something like Hulk 1 and even then the up value on the signature would be small. If it is Demon #1 and it was missed, I would feel nearly 100% confident saying it is legit. So that means, the slight loop at the bottom of the "J" can be considered something that it seen in his signatures. I also know he did some signatures in all capitals too. 

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

See now that bit of info changes everything. Having a Kirby sig on a book in 1980 was not gonna do much for the book, unless it was something like Hulk 1 and even then the up value on the signature would be small. If it is Demon #1 and it was missed, I would feel nearly 100% confident saying it is legit. So that means, the slight loop at the bottom of the "J" can be considered something that it seen in his signatures. I also know he did some signatures in all capitals too. 

are those books pictured yours or just ones you found while researching? Anyway appreciate the effort - that info should help the OP.

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

If it is Demo

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Research. I wish I had one :) 

Agreed - much appreciated!

Just for kicks- heres another sig I have...it really feels like the real thing to me. 

At some point I might send it into the other company, but I hate the idea of not being able to see it again.

IMG_0990.JPG

29 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

Agreed - much appreciated!

Just for kicks- heres another sig I have...it really feels like the real thing to me. 

At some point I might send it into the other company, but I hate the idea of not being able to see it again.

IMG_0990.JPG

I'd feel good about that one, personally.

And yes, I played around with the notion of sending my ASM #97 signed on the first page by Gil Kane but the cost to do it combined with not ever being able to see it again made that a hard no. Plus, as it is not a book I ever plan to sell, I really did not see the point. I have it stored in a toploader so I feel it is getting the "encapsulation" treatment and is as safe and preserved as any slabbed book.