• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Investments

25 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some advice as to buy some rare books to hold on to and display. I was into baseball cards but, I've always like the look of slabbed comics. Is there some comics out there that hold there value? 

I have sales thread that’s pretty much over, but you’re welcome to check it out.  In my personal opinion many of them  will not only hold value but sky rocket in price at some point.  Check the link in my signature line

other than that, the some of the safest investments are 1st appearance comics of Superman, spiderman, and batman.  The higher the grade the better they will display, so try to get Cgc 9.0 and above.  Make sure get the older comics graded by Cgc who checks for authenticity and restoration.

Edited by revat

On 10/17/2020 at 11:15 AM, chefy79 said:

I'm looking for some advice as to buy some rare books to hold on to and display. I was into baseball cards but, I've always like the look of slabbed comics. Is there some comics out there that hold there value? 

Hey Chefy, 

Welcome to the boards. 

There are TONS of books out there that will grow in value. Some will skyrocket. 

Depends on your budget and what you’re into, but if you reply back with some of the characters or stories you like/liked, I’d be happy to suggest some. 

Comics are categorised in many ways, one of those ways is “ages” - Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age etc. 

I think it’s worth looking for the first appearances of characters from the Bronze Age (1970 - early 80’s). They can be very affordable and keep showing up in Netflix shows and Hollywood movies - sending market value through the roof. 

8 hours ago, revat said:

some of the safest investments are 1st appearance comics of Superman, spiderman, and batman.

In my opinion, when it comes to comics as investments, the 1st appearances of these three characters are the ONLY books that I might recommend as "proper investing".  I liken it to an S&P 500 ETF in that all historical evidence points to these books growing over a 40 year window.  It's about as safe a bet as there is in the world of comics.  Every other key 1st appearance I liken to strong individual stocks like AAPL or V or MSFT.  Consistent growers, but a little riskier.  And then you get to the speculative books which are like 90% of the stocks out there.  They might go up, they might go down.  Bottom line, I have less confidence in them than I do the holy trinity of Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, and Amazing Fantasy #15.

Also, "Spider-Man".  C'mon @revat, respect the hyphen.  :makepoint:

On 10/16/2020 at 9:15 PM, chefy79 said:

I'm looking for some advice as to buy some rare books to hold on to and display. Is there some comics out there that hold there value? 

Yes.

12 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I'm looking for some advice as to buy some rare books to hold on to and display. Is there some comics out there that hold there value? 

Yes.

... also bear in mind that there is more to "value" than just a monetary equivalent. A very important aspect of value is "appeal". If you are emotionally and aesthetically invested in the piece, the rewards increase exponentially. Unfortunately, investing in these types of items, the actual cash profit becomes a loss in ways, as you will no longer possess the item when you cash out. I actually have regrets to selling many books. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Action Comics 1, Detective Comics 27, Amazing Fantasy 15, Batman 1, Captain America 1.

Choose any of those and you should be good. Anything else, and your money is better spent elsewhere since investing in comics has been a sure fire way for many to lose money.

Ask anyone who "invested" in Marvel Premier 15.

8 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Thanks, comic fam... xD

Yeah, I am not biggest fan of comicbook youtubers and the spec game in general but if you don't know anything about comics and would like to buy something to invest those Marvel and DC books in that video are good choices.
Well I am not 100% sure with Kang the Conqueror which is a b list character in my opinion. Also a villain book is not the best investment. 

4 hours ago, godzilla43 said:

Yeah, I am not biggest fan of comicbook youtubers and the spec game in general but if you don't know anything about comics and would like to buy something to invest those Marvel and DC books in that video are good choices.
Well I am not 100% sure with Kang the Conqueror which is a b list character in my opinion. Also a villain book is not the best investment

Yes.

Joker, and Doctor Doom may be exceptions.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yes.

Joker, and Doctor Doom may be exceptions.

True. Only problem with Joker and Doom are their 1st appearances are rather expensive :D

Doom
-FF Annual 2 there might be some increase in value down the line.  Also nice cover and Kirby art.

Joker
-Batman 251 again maybe some increase. Great Adams cover and return of non campy Joker. Killing Joke classic story and Brian Bolland art.

but those books have sold almost the same price last 5 years so... still with those you don't loose money and they are nice books to own.

16 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Action Comics 1, Detective Comics 27, Amazing Fantasy 15, Batman 1, Captain America 1.

Choose any of those and you should be good. Anything else, and your money is better spent elsewhere since investing in comics has been a sure fire way for many to lose money.

Ask anyone who "invested" in Marvel Premier 15.

The top row you mentioned are pretty far away at this point from most collectors to even consider investing in them.  I think your statement is rather too broad and anyone who "invested" in copies of Marvel Premiere 15 in the single to double digits especially at high grade are doing pretty well now.  That book is still a $375+ book at 9.0+.  I don't think investing in comics is a sure fire way to lose money but rather being smart about comic purchases would be the way to go.  Ask all the people who hoarded Ultimate Fallout 4 how they did when it peaked.

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

The top row you mentioned are pretty far away at this point from most collectors to even consider investing in them.  I think your statement is rather too broad and anyone who "invested" in copies of Marvel Premiere 15 in the single to double digits especially at high grade are doing pretty well now.  That book is still a $375+ book at 9.0+.  I don't think investing in comics is a sure fire way to lose money but rather being smart about comic purchases would be the way to go.  Ask all the people who hoarded Ultimate Fallout 4 how they did when it peaked.

My recent favorite is MSH 13 - 1st Carol Danvers. It peaked at $12K for 9.4s, and they sell for under $4k now. doh!

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

I am pretty sure that he was joking with those Action Comics 1, Detective Comics 27.. . Marvel Premiere 15 is a good example of a book that went up and came down. Ironfist is a b list character which 1st appearance was cheap but then the news broke that their will be a Netflix show and the value skyrocketed. Then the show tanked and price of that comic has decreased ever since. Maybe now it still higher than lets says 5-6 years ago because of that price bump and maybe some people are speculating that Ironfist will come back again like Ghost Rider. Still I think with Marvel Premiere 15 many people were burned and maybe some of them are now doubling down with Special Marvel Edition 15.

As with Ultimate Fallout 4 hording well those people who hoarded that book were probably hoarding loads of other books which did not turned out to be winners. 
I actually bought UF4 like February before Covid and Miles Morales video game. Reason was that seller who had another comic that I was interested also had UF4 polybagged like minus 30-40% below what copies sold in Ebay and I had seen that Spider-verse movie and thought it was pretty good so I was thinking that maybe this a comic to own.

Edited by godzilla43