• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Investments

25 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, kimik said:

My recent favorite is MSH 13 - 1st Carol Danvers. It peaked at $12K for 9.4s, and they sell for under $4k now. doh!

It's silly to invest in any book once it becomes overhyped but those that bought that book prior to the movie announcement did very well on it.

23 minutes ago, godzilla43 said:

I am pretty sure that he was joking with those Action Comics 1, Detective Comics 27.. . Marvel Premiere 15 is a good example of a book that went up and came down. Ironfist is a b list character which 1st appearance was cheap but then the news broke that their will be a Netflix show and the value skyrocketed. Then the show tanked and price of that comic has decreased ever since. Maybe now it still higher than lets says 5-6 years ago because of that price bump and maybe some people are speculating that Ironfist will come back again like Ghost Rider. Still I think with Marvel Premiere 15 many people were burned and maybe some of them are now doubling down with Special Marvel Edition 15.

As with Ultimate Fallout 4 hording well those people who hoarded that book were probably hoarding loads of other books which did not turned out to be winners. 
I actually bought UF4 like February before Covid and Miles Morales video game. Reason was that seller who had another comic that I was interested also had UF4 polybagged like minus 30-40% below what copies sold in Ebay and I had seen that Spider-verse movie and thought it was pretty good so I was thinking that maybe this a comic to own.

I'll let him speak for himself but I don't think he was joking at all.  Again, these books like MP15 or UF4 rose exponentially upon some type of hype/spec news and then some fall harder back down to reality.  Prior to those announcements, both were fractions of what they go for now.  I'm not an invest in comics type of guy but plenty of people have done very well with knowing when to buy and sell.

Edited by Keys_Collector

If you are looking at shooting fish in a tuna can, now's not the time.  While comics bring a great deal of pleasure to those of us that collect, I don't know many who collect simply on the basis of uptick in value as assured.

Stocks are a far easier way to make short term money and they are far easier to sell if the need arises. The Marvel titles FF4 and ASM have proven to pull value as titles  more than other marvel books. I think Batman and Superman have done that at DC. I don't think you'll see high percentage returns right away on stuff that doesn't get held for a substantial time.  I kept all my JIM and Thor because I love them. If it was cash, Mastercard would be a far better choice.  But cash it's not and Hela remains Hot, Odin needs an optician, and Loki a career counsel service. It's part of why Marvel has always attracted me. The characters all have zits ( except for Hela. She's flawless).  If Thor goes up, my son will probably sell them eventually. Right now, even he loves the dumb plot lines. 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 6:15 PM, chefy79 said:

I'm looking for some advice as to buy some rare books to hold on to and display. I was into baseball cards but, I've always like the look of slabbed comics. Is there some comics out there that hold there value

A lot of folks are trying to offer advice based on "oh these books are more affordable for common people, or oh these have better odds for percentage based growth, or are more attainable blah blah".  The OP COULD have given more specifics about his situation or preferences or his financials, but he didn't.  He asked for "rare" books to "hold on to and display", and that "hold there value".  Despite the poor grammar, I think its clear these are the most important criteria, since they are the ONLY ONES he mentioned.  There were no price restrictions mentioned, so why make assumptions about an internet stranger and their financial situation.  I say let him qualify his own question (or ask a better one if he so chooses).  So I maintain Action Comics 1, AF 15, Detective Comics 27 in 9.0 or higher seem like the right answer. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:07 PM, revat said:

I have sales thread that’s pretty much over, but you’re welcome to check it out.  In my personal opinion many of them  will not only hold value but sky rocket in price at some point.  Check the link in my signature line

other than that, the some of the safest investments are 1st appearance comics of Superman, spiderman, and batman.  The higher the grade the better they will display, so try to get Cgc 9.0 and above.  Make sure get the older comics graded by Cgc who checks for authenticity and restoration.