• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on resources/videos to help with grading Mid/Lower grade books
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi:  I know there isn't a great substitute for experience in grading but am looking for info on reducing learning curve.  I do understand there is some subjectivity in grading.

Besides resources like the Overstreet Grading Guide, these boards are there any other good resources/videos on "correct" Grading of comics?     I believe I have a fair understanding of higher grade books (8.0/8.5 or above) but mid/lower grade books are a little harder for me thus I am looking for more info to help me.

I found  a series on YouTube related to grading from someone "named" eta nick.  Has anyone viewed and have opinion on validity of his grading tips/guidance?  The series seem fairly reasonable to me.

I appreciate any insight/advice on learning more on grading mid/lower range books.

Thanks

10 hours ago, buddy2 said:

Hi:  I know there isn't a great substitute for experience in grading but am looking for info on reducing learning curve.  I do understand there is some subjectivity in grading.

Besides resources like the Overstreet Grading Guide, these boards are there any other good resources/videos on "correct" Grading of comics?     I believe I have a fair understanding of higher grade books (8.0/8.5 or above) but mid/lower grade books are a little harder for me thus I am looking for more info to help me.

I found  a series on YouTube related to grading from someone "named" eta nick.  Has anyone viewed and have opinion on validity of his grading tips/guidance?  The series seem fairly reasonable to me.

I appreciate any insight/advice on learning more on grading mid/lower range books.

Thanks

Nick knows grading, and has a cheat sheet that is a handy guide.

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

There is a section of these boards where people post books and other forumites  give their opinions. Study them. Learn what defects are worse than others.  It's not ideal as graing is a hands on experience but it is a way to start.

I have gotten allot better with grading using the spare a grade section on these boards. 

There is no way to cut corners (or, "reduce learning curve", as you put it) here. It's a matter of knowledge and experience.

I spent a year or two stalking the boards, and PGM sub-forum, before dipping my toes in. I would say that I'm relatively good at grading [pictures on the internet]. I've been studying and practicing for 5 years. and there are still flaws and situations that I fumble or stumble on.

Do you want to learn quickly, or correctly? You can be a Dylan, or you can be a Johnny.

@theCapraAegagrus Thanks for the input.  I definitely want to learn correctly and do try to put in the work to learn.

I have been looking at and been submitting to the PGM board and finding that useful. I appreciate all the input and information there.

I guess what I was looking for was some rules of thumb/heuristics on grading decisions that are a little more concrete for the lower grades 2.0 to 5.0 these are the ones I find the hardest to determine.  I do like the cheat sheet that eta nick had in his video series (at least it made sense to me).

Thanks all for the input/advice.

1 minute ago, buddy2 said:

@theCapraAegagrus Thanks for the input.  I definitely want to learn correctly and do try to put in the work to learn.

I have been looking at and been submitting to the PGM board and finding that useful. I appreciate all the input and information there.

I guess what I was looking for was some rules of thumb/heuristics on grading decisions that are a little more concrete for the lower grades 2.0 to 5.0 these are the ones I find the hardest to determine.  I do like the cheat sheet that eta nick had in his video series (at least it made sense to me).

Thanks all for the input/advice.

There are so many different flaws, in size and effect, that I personally don't find any "cheat sheets" useful. I mean, I can look at a comic that is kinda destroyed but completely in tact, and easily call it a "2.0 IMO". An otherwise 8.5, with a large crease and small missing corner, might be an easy "5.0 IMO". The scope of subjectivity is massive.

Patience and diligence is key in becoming an adept grader. Since we're here, sometimes I'll reference CGC's Grading Scale if I'm having a tough time. The descriptions are relatively vague, but sometimes that's enough to help me find what I consider to be the right range. Then, I think, "what would I be happy with receiving were I buying this comic?"

And then you have to consider MFG defects... It's not always just fun and games. lol

On 10/17/2020 at 5:19 AM, buddy2 said:

Thanks

I was actually going to post asking if people agreed/disagreed with eta nick's flow.