• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I received an interesting message on Ebay this morning

42 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Primetime said:

Yes, good to see you here Jesse. There are many knowledgeable board members here to exchange stories and information with :acclaim:

And a few members with embellishments as well and zero knowledge!!!!!!!

Those are the really fun ones.......

28 minutes ago, Simon Comics said:

I appreciate the welcome everyone! I’m not on here too much but always enjoy coming on here time to time! I might have to come on here more then 

Welcome to the boards. 

I used to live in Mineola  and know your Grandfather and Jack Kirby lived on Brown Street, and from photos managed to narrow it down to about a half dozen houses, but would love to know exactly which houses they lived in. I was able to  find Mr Kirby's house when he moved around the corner to East Willston but couldn't square away the description of the house your Grandfather moved to. Is there any chance your father would know the Brown Street address?  I'd love to add photos of the house to my collection.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Welcome to the boards. 

I used to live in Mineola  and know your Grandfather and Jack Kirby lived on Brown Street, and from photos managed to narrow it down to about a half dozen houses, but would love to know exactly which houses they lived in. I was able to  find Mr Kirby's house when he moved around the corner to East Willston but couldn't square away the description of the house your Grandfather moved to. Is there any chance your father would know the Brown Street address?  I'd love to add photos of the house to my collection.

Unfortunately my dad doesn’t remember the exact address besides brown street. If you have Kirby’s exact address or some photos of the houses you think it might be, I can show it to him and see if he is able to recognize it.

1 minute ago, Simon Comics said:

Unfortunately my dad doesn’t remember the exact address besides brown street. If you have Kirby’s exact address or some photos of the houses you think it might be, I can show it to him and see if he is able to recognize it.

The problem is there are six or eight houses that are identical. There is a photo of Jack and your Grandfather in front of his house, and they are pretty much unchanged since then. I'm not sure which book the photo is in, but it might be your fathers.

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

The problem is there are six or eight houses that are identical. There is a photo of Jack and your Grandfather in front of his house, and they are pretty much unchanged since then. I'm not sure which book the photo is in, but it might be your fathers.

I think I know what uoure talking about. Joe lived in a few houses and I always get the timeline mixed up of when he lived where. I’ll see if my dad can remember, usually his memory of Joe and Jack are good but the house number he never really paid attention to

On 10/17/2020 at 12:52 PM, Gotham Kid said:

What kind of ebay buying history does he have ? Stuff a 17yr old would buy or stuff someone MUCH older would buy ?

That's a common misconception I see about only older collectors buying up older books.  I sold most of my cheaper GA/PCH stuff last year and it was the younger kids buying it all up.  I also see collectors in their 20's starting to put serious money into GA books.  We need to pass our love for these older books onto the younger generation to keep the spark of the hobby alive.

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

That's a common misconception I see about only older collectors buying up older books.  I sold most of my cheaper GA/PCH stuff last year and it was the younger kids buying it all up.  I also see collectors in their 20's starting to put serious money into GA books.  We need to pass our love for these older books onto the younger generation to keep the spark of the hobby alive.

Funny you mention that, I have seen fellow collectors buy golden age books too! I still think a majority of people 15-30 that collect buy the silver age marvel keys. But there’s also some that do appreciate the old old stuff. To me it was never a question. Growing up at Joe’s apartment, I saw golden age style art everywhere. So I started collecting golden age!

4 hours ago, Simon Comics said:

I think I know what uoure talking about. Joe lived in a few houses and I always get the timeline mixed up of when he lived where. I’ll see if my dad can remember, usually his memory of Joe and Jack are good but the house number he never really paid attention to

I understand. It's not a big deal but I made it a personal project and was disappointed when I couldn't nail it down. I had been hoping to get the town to recognize the houses or at least add the two of them to the list of famous people who lied there. They make a big to do about Will Rodgers livlng there and ignore the creators of Captain America.  I moved west about five years ago and no longer have family there.

Is there no justice in this world?