• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get an older graded comic regraded ?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I have a Silver Age comic Silver Surfer #4 in cgc 8.5. I bought it last year. It is in an old holder and from grader notes, it was first pressed and graded in 2003.

The comic however, does not look flat. A bit wavy you might say. Should I send it off to be repressed and regraded OR just reholdered?  Any advice would be most welcome.

I was also thinking of sending off 2 special 2019 comics for grading that are unread and NM/M. Should I get them graded with, or without pressing ?

Thank you,

Colin

2 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

Hi Shadroch, I have 'assumed' it was pressed at the time it was first graded. Grader notes just confirm it was graded. They don't say anything about wavy pages, but they wouldn't necessaily comment on this, so I understand from CGC.

Pressing existed in those days, but it wasn't very common like it is today. 

I suspect it wasn't pressed. Especially if your seeing "pressable" defects. 

As an aside, I can't believe I refereed to 2003 as "those days"....  it feels like 2003 should still be these days...  

6 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

The comic however, does not look flat. A bit wavy you might say. Should I send it off to be repressed and regraded OR just reholdered?  Any advice would be most welcome.

Does the waviness appear to have affected the grade? Or can you see other minor defects that brought the book down to an 8.5..?

The comic looks in fine condition overall. Can't see any adverse defects or marks on the cover, but the back has a few small faint stains/grubbiness near the top possibly due to some previous foxing ? Otherwise a tidy sharp cornered and edged copy. 

I did obtain the grading notes and they were silent on the "flatness" of the comic.

The waviness isn't excessive but noticeable. I'm going on the Overstreet grading guide book which says, an 8.5 should be "nearly flat". I'm not sure what that looks like in reality, but I assume it doesn't mean wavy ?

Anyway, I've attached some picks. Blue dots are high areas and red dots low areas.

15883652688450.jpg

38 minutes ago, Colin Nash said:

The comic looks in fine condition overall. Can't see any adverse defects or marks on the cover, but the back has a few small faint stains/grubbiness near the top possibly due to some previous foxing ? Otherwise a tidy sharp cornered and edged copy. 

I did obtain the grading notes and they were silent on the "flatness" of the comic.

The waviness isn't excessive but noticeable. I'm going on the Overstreet grading guide book which says, an 8.5 should be "nearly flat". I'm not sure what that looks like in reality, but I assume it doesn't mean wavy ?

Anyway, I've attached some picks. Blue dots are high areas and red dots low areas.

15883652688450.jpg

That's the "Creep Engine" slab, so chances are, that the comic was flat prior to encapsulation.

If it's financially (or sentimentally) worth it, get it pressed and re-graded.

Hi.  For what it's worth, I recall recently reading somewhere that early issues of Silver Surfer, including SS#4, came a bit wavy right off the printing press, for whatever reason.  I also recall reading elsewhere that certain earlier CGC slabs (which I think the fellow alluded to above) were a bit tight with the inner well, which resulted in an apparent waviness that disappeared once the book was removed from the inner well (either immediately or after a few days).   But hopefully more experienced folks could chime in and confirm either or both.   

Edited by Pantodude