• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the GA Section of the Boards Less Active?
3 3

118 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I spend most of my time on the boards in the GA section, so I couldn’t tell you if my observations here apply to other sections as well.

It seems to me as though the GA boards are a lot less active than they were 10 years ago, 5 years ago, etc.

Not only that, but the overall level of enthusiasm also appears lower than it was in past years. Not negativity so much as a lack of overall excitement. I realize this is impossible to quantify, just an observation.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Any theories as to why? Any ideas as to what we could all do to change it?

I really enjoy my time on the boards regardless. But it would be fun bring “the good old days” back.

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I share your agitation. The past 8 months have been life changing. Mostly in a very negative way. I have lost a couple people very close to me. Lost a few “heroes”. A lot of people that I thought were my friends really aren’t. Realized how selfish and clueless people are in general. Had too much time to think. Doing as much positive thinking as possible.

This has been my “happy place”. Nice to come here and talk junk with so many like minded people. Have learned to stay out of the Cooler. The GA thread is by far the best place here. Yeah, a little slow sometimes but always fun and educational. Still the best folks on the boards. 

Can’t wait to return to shows of all kinds. But until there is a reliable vaccine and/or people act responsibility, I’m out. 

Agreed.  The last six months have been tough and I get a sense people are tired.  But this forum, and especially the GA thread (where I tend to lurk but not post), is one of my favourite places on here.  

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

Is there still some sentiment that the boards lost a decent portion of participants, who never returned, after CGC updated their boards in 2017?

My sense is yes, we really did see a drop off after the update and new look.  Speaking only for myself, I tended to rarely check out the boards after the change.  Eventually you get use to the new look but I really miss several old timers who didn't seem to post anymore after the change :frown:

Don’t be a lurker. Post away. Part of the reason this was started, was that not enough people are actually posting. The more posting the better. Don’t be shy. Lots of great folks here. We would love to be able to geek out with more like minded people. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This has been my “happy place”. Nice to come here and talk junk with so many like minded people. Have learned to stay out of the Cooler. The GA thread is by far the best place here. Yeah, a little slow sometimes but always fun and educational. Still the best folks on the boards.

This is one of the places for "refuge" after another long depressing day of the COVID-19 calendar. I don't contribute to this forum very often, as I don't really collect Golden Age books (at least, not yet). I still scan it every day, and when I am done, I have usually learned something new or seen a really cool comic.

I enjoy the discussions in many forums, and I really like it when I am able to contribute something for another user. I have even made two real-life acquaintances from being on this board, one of which has sold me some Marvel keys. At my age, it's nice to have someone to talk to about Silver Age comics. When I go in to my LCSs, I hear more discussion about last week's Batman comic book than anything else. This really doesn't apply to Krypton Comics, because the owner understands that back issues means more than having the last six issues of a current comic.

Just my perspective since I spent a long time away from the boards.  The GA forum seems about half as busy as it was five years ago.  I don’t see some people who used to be frequent posters and those I do see don’t seem to post very often.

I'm newer to the boards so I can't quantify the change.

I do agree that the last 8 month's has shifted peoples focus.  As a father of two young kids, trying to manage work and get the kiddos through distance learning, it makes you prioritize things differently. 

Politics are polarizing and divisive and I find myself spending less and less time doing anything I use to enjoy. Less time on the bike, no time or interests in sports these days and even less time to enjoy comics. I don't track auctions like I use to and i don't pour over boxes at my local shops like I once did. 

As I say to my wife all the time, it's like every day is the longest day of my life and every week is the shortest week of my life. 

All that said, I do enjoy coming here and posting about funny books.  

The GA boards has a daily cycle.

1. Get up at 4AM and use the bathroom.  Check message boards on your Blackberry while trying to go (knew I should have had a second bowl of prunes)

2. Post some more at 2PM while waiting till Country Buffet starts their early bird special

3. Post before going to bed at 6:45PM.