• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the GA Section of the Boards Less Active?
3 3

118 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

* Maybe that's because there hasn't been any huge new developments on the GA front for a while (e.g. no major new pedigrees coming to market or unknown collections being posted), so a lot of the discussion seems to focus on a narrower range of topics.

I’m still very much active in collecting. I haven’t seen any exciting new collections come to market in 3 years to get geeked on. I thought current cultural environment would release more quality product. I’m still lurking. :whatev:

11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The Boards are slower and I'd say a few reasons may include:

* Long-time posters with a lot of intellectual curiosity who loved to share their knowledge aren't around much (if any) now - a couple names spring to mind (Bangzoom, Esquirecomices, Moondog, Berk, we could all probably add more) - and other posters have just slowed down. 

* Perhaps as a result, it seems like there's less threads about sharing knowledge of old comics (sort of like CBM articles) and discussions seems to focus more on auctions.

* Maybe that's because there hasn't been any huge new developments on the GA front for a while (e.g. no major new pedigrees coming to market or unknown collections being posted), so a lot of the discussion seems to focus on a narrower range of topics.

There's still good discussion.  Still a lot to learn here.  Still discoveries made every once in a while. 

So I would never say this Board sucks (some of the others on the other hand ...), and I still try to share any stories or research I have that I think others might benefit from.

This is what I see and feel.  There’s only so many times I can talk about the same things.  Not to mention that the number of places things can be discussed has expanded.  Instagram and Facebook have grown notably. I would imagine if anything the volume of conversations has increased, its just spread out over many more platforms. 

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I share your agitation. The past 8 months have been life changing. Mostly in a very negative way. I have lost a couple people very close to me. Lost a few “heroes”. A lot of people that I thought were my friends really aren’t. Realized how selfish and clueless people are in general. Had too much time to think. Doing as much positive thinking as possible.

This has been my “happy place”. Nice to come here and talk junk with so many like minded people. Have learned to stay out of the Cooler. The GA thread is by far the best place here. Yeah, a little slow sometimes but always fun and educational. Still the best folks on the boards. 

Can’t wait to return to shows of all kinds. But until there is a reliable vaccine and/or people act responsibility, I’m out. 

There is no way back. It will never be the same like it was before march 2020.

I would correlate the reduction in traffic to the lack of Comic book conventions and comic book store reduced hours. I think a number of posters attended these conventions and that would generate excitement in the GA section. I look forward to the conventions returns big and little and we see as we get progress in this virus that more traffic will return to the GA and all forms. Also there were flea markets, and garage sales etc ....it will come back. But this is excellent time to catch up on your back reading, going thru your collection and organize it.

21 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

following the CGC Boards upgrade, it seems most people are now just content to respond with a "LIKE" rather than engage in any discussion. It's nice to collect a lot of "LIKES" on the boards, but I think it has created a culture that's a bit less engaged.

... very astute observation. I'll never get tired of the CGC Forums, however.

I've made some very good friends here. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

27 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I think the reason is clear: Instagram.

Many of the "newer" generation of comic book collectors are on IG, and as far as I can tell, very few of them ever post on the boards, let alone know about the boards, as far as I can tell. At Terry's show last January 2020 (how very long ago), I met a bunch of younger collectors, dealers, and "investment-focused" folks with a passion for GA comics, and they convinced me to join IG. Now as a user, I can see how a lot of the appeal of IG is simply that it is SO EASY to access and use. With one tap on your iPhone, you have direct access to all of the latest posts, without the nuisance involved with the CGC boards site of logging in, combing through the threads, scrolling through the threads.

The simplicity of use, and the quick consumption of content on IG, holds a lot of appeal. Waiting for the microwave to finish warming up your food? Just click IG! Finding your Zoom meeting has gotten really monotonous, just click IG! A gratifying 20 seconds of distraction.

Paradoxically, any given post on IG tends to elicit at least a couple interesting response comments, whereas on these boards, as soon as the "LIKE" button appeared following the CGC Boards upgrade, it seems most people are now just content to respond with a "LIKE" rather than engage in any discussion. It's nice to collect a lot of "LIKES" on the boards, but I think it has created a culture that's a bit less engaged.

The good news is there really does seem to be a large community of newer (younger) collectors who will help keep the hobby afloat into our retirement years. The bad news is that IG and other online one-tap sites have diverted more and more of the comic book community away from the boards. There are a relatively small number of stalwart boardies who post here and on IG, and I tend to gravitate towards their posts on IG. 

Maybe other boardies here can pipe in on their experiences with IG.

This!

Took me a while to post on IG, @gino2paulus2 convinced me. It is instantaneous AND as you pointed out a lot more interaction and comments on what you post, (which is just as fun as collecting them). 

I can tell you, the responses on a lot of what i post reminds me of the interaction i used to see on the Boards when i was just a lurker. Go back to any long running Thread and read the first 60 pages or so. Lots of talk about how cool, rare, common, classic, the chase, how much it cost them, artists, notable contents, etc, and from various posters.

You hit on something that a lot of newer GA enthusiasts are there, maybe that's why the interaction is so much more like the past Board days. A lot of it is 'new' to them.

Maybe all the longtime GA people here have seen it all and nothing 'impresses' them anymore.

For me, there is always something cool to see (I was told by a Boardie once in a PM, you sure hit that 'Like' button a lot).  For me, if everyone just went silent on any new content shared here, even though i love comic books and pop culture artifacts, i think i'd probably just stop collecting. This was (and should always be) the place where you can geek out and have people who know what a Gerber 9 is and 'oooh, and ahhhh' and discuss discuss discuss when all of your close friends and family members couldn't give a rats :censored: about these funny books you hoard. 

Edited by sagii

54 minutes ago, sagii said:

This!

Took me a while to post on IG, @gino2paulus2 convinced me. It is instantaneous AND as you pointed out a lot more interaction and comments on what you post, (which is just as fun as collecting them). 

I can tell you, the responses on a lot of what i post reminds me of the interaction i used to see on the Boards when i was just a lurker. Go back to any long running Thread and read the first 60 pages or so. Lots of talk about how cool, rare, common, classic, the chase, how much it cost them, artists, notable contents, etc, and from various posters.

You hit on something that a lot of newer GA enthusiasts are there, maybe that's why the interaction is so much more like the past Board days. A lot of it is 'new' to them.

Maybe all the longtime GA people here have seen it all and nothing 'impresses' them anymore.

For me, there is always something cool to see (I was told by a Boardie once in a PM, you sure hit that 'Like' button a lot).  For me, if everyone just went silent on any new content shared here, even though i love comic books and pop culture artifacts, i think i'd probably just stop collecting. This was (and should always be) the place where you can geek out and have people who know what a Gerber 9 is and 'oooh, and ahhhh' and discuss discuss discuss when all of your close friends and family members couldn't give a rats :censored: about these funny books you hoard. 

Great observations, my friend! Very true about the long running Threads.

Of course, the sales threads here still drum up a lot of interest, though perhaps the pendulum has shifted too far away from good ol' fashioned comments about how cool, rare, common, classic, etc., as you point out.

4 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I've been on IG forever.

Where do you find the the golden age stuff?

Just follow #goldenagecomics?

Also: #igcomicfamily, #igcomics, #igcomicbooks, and other instantiations of same. 

Edited by Zolnerowich
Forgot the #

I spend probably 30 minutes a day reading new posts here, trolling IG and FB for golden age comics.  It’s a nice relief from all of the problems in the real world.  I agree that our current state of affairs has made me much less active here on the Boards and much less thrilled with any new acquisitions.  Politics and the pandemic has made my job a real drag and that’s likely rubbing off on my view of funny books.

While the traffic here is down, the Boards are still where i can learn something new about Golden Age comics and see new things that I wouldn’t normally run across.  The only thing comparable is the FB Timely-Atlas group run by Doc V.

My 2 cents!