• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the GA Section of the Boards Less Active?
3 3

118 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I think the reason is clear: Instagram.

Many of the "newer" generation of comic book collectors are on IG, and as far as I can tell, very few of them ever post on the boards, let alone know about the boards, as far as I can tell. At Terry's show last January 2020 (how very long ago), I met a bunch of younger collectors, dealers, and "investment-focused" folks with a passion for GA comics, and they convinced me to join IG. Now as a user, I can see how a lot of the appeal of IG is simply that it is SO EASY to access and use. With one tap on your iPhone, you have direct access to all of the latest posts, without the nuisance involved with the CGC boards site of logging in, combing through the threads, scrolling through the threads.

The simplicity of use, and the quick consumption of content on IG, holds a lot of appeal. Waiting for the microwave to finish warming up your food? Just click IG! Finding your Zoom meeting has gotten really monotonous, just click IG! A gratifying 20 seconds of distraction.

Paradoxically, any given post on IG tends to elicit at least a couple interesting response comments, whereas on these boards, as soon as the "LIKE" button appeared following the CGC Boards upgrade, it seems most people are now just content to respond with a "LIKE" rather than engage in any discussion. It's nice to collect a lot of "LIKES" on the boards, but I think it has created a culture that's a bit less engaged.

The good news is there really does seem to be a large community of newer (younger) collectors who will help keep the hobby afloat into our retirement years. The bad news is that IG and other online one-tap sites have diverted more and more of the comic book community away from the boards. There are a relatively small number of stalwart boardies who post here and on IG, and I tend to gravitate towards their posts on IG. 

Maybe other boardies here can pipe in on their experiences with IG.

So, as one who has only a passing familiarity with IG, how do you go about following comic collecting there? 

26 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

This

It may be considered "old fashioned" and out dated, but message boards give a sense of community and communication.

I guess message boards have become the internet equivalent of the dinner table - prehistoric venues where conversations took place over things.

Oh yeah, I forgot........:preach:

The boards replaced CBM/CBG in terms of how collectors communicate, network, and shared information.  IG is good for networking, ok for communication, but poor for conveying robust information.  Hard to put an article or its equivalent on that platform.  Facebook is similar, maybe a little better for sharing info.  But neither platform has the archiving aspect that the boards do.  Some of the threads here are pushing 2 decades.  If you are looking to learn about comics, there's no better place.  If you want to show off and get likes, this isn't the place to do it.    

As a result of posts on this thread, I checked out the Instagram GA comic posts.  Easy to navigate, just scrolling up and down, but mainly lots of pictures of "rare on census" comics that are not really rare.  I found the experience to be a lot like scrolling through eBay, except many of the comics were not for sale.  Seems the purpose was just to show off, but not a lot of knowledge being shared.  I don't think its siphoning away the high quality posters that have been norm for the GA Boards here.  There is a different explanation for the decrease in traffic here - it is not Instragram.

I love the Boards.  And no matter what the other media are about (which I do like for other reasons), there is nothing like the Boards.  Easily the best place to be, despite the other media.

One of the reasons the number of posts might appear to be down, as pointed out already, is that it used to be that each “Like” was a separate post and now it’s just a button that is hit.  This is more convenient and fast, BUT, it also used to be that when someone made a “Like” in a post, they OFTEN added another comment or two to the “Liking” part, which made the post a bit more than simply a “Like”.  And people used their own select verbiage for their “Like”, which made it more interesting.  And now, the large number of new posts in threads that used to constitute “Likes” in various forms has been reduced to zero number of new posts by the “hit the like button” apparatus.

26 minutes ago, BMoreLauren said:

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I use IG religiously. The comic community is OK there -- it seems like most of the people who are active on it are on the west coast. While I sometimes enjoy showing off a comic I may have, the boards are honestly better to use and sometimes easier to navigate. Does IG serve a purpose? Absolutely. But it's very one and done on there. 

Welcome back!

17 minutes ago, circumstances said:

If I could post pictures on IG from my desktop computer, I'd probably try it.

I don't see how. I can only see the upload button on the phone app.

11 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Yes that's a massive downside for me. There's no way around it. 

You can but it is a pain in the arse.  I tried it and it does work.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-post-to-instagram-from-pc-or-mac-tricky-workaround/

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

As a result of posts on this thread, I checked out the Instagram GA comic posts.  Easy to navigate, just scrolling up and down, but mainly lots of pictures of "rare on census" comics that are not really rare.  I found the experience to be a lot like scrolling through eBay, except many of the comics were not for sale.  Seems the purpose was just to show off, but not a lot of knowledge being shared.  I don't think its siphoning away the high quality posters that have been norm for the GA Boards here.  There is a different explanation for the decrease in traffic here - it is not Instragram.

Totally agree.

I see no real discussions anywhere. Just a lot of people posting their stuff with the "ooooh" and "aaahh" and "how much ?" comments that quickly follow.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 10/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

Hi guys,

I spend most of my time on the boards in the GA section, so I couldn’t tell you if my observations here apply to other sections as well.

It seems to me as though the GA boards are a lot less active than they were 10 years ago, 5 years ago, etc.

Not only that, but the overall level of enthusiasm also appears lower than it was in past years. Not negativity so much as a lack of overall excitement. I realize this is impossible to quantify, just an observation.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Any theories as to why? Any ideas as to what we could all do to change it?

I really enjoy my time on the boards regardless. But it would be fun bring “the good old days” back.

Having read through this thread I think the perception of reduced activity is probably the result of everything mentioned thus far and more.  Undoubtably the growth of other digital platforms, IG, etc., will play into some collectors shifting interest.  The way threads are presented in the CGC's 2017 redesigned platform ...without readily displaying multiple responses which made the earlier platform more conversational and fun to use... might be a factor as well.  In general, do other forums and platforms compete for folk's attention (time spent here)?  hm

It also occurs to me that there are two competing third party grading services, both with active message boards.  One of the two boards allows for the posting of slabbed comic images from both, the other has a policy against it.  Whether this is a factor in diminished board activity is anybody's guess.  One solution might be for the CGC to review their current policy disallowing collectors from posting images of graded books with a competitor's third party label.  Logically, CGC shouldn't be concerned about anyone else's label since they consider their holders & service to be the superior product.   Just my 2 cents; other's mileage may vary.

:tink:

13 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

One of the two boards allows for the posting of slabbed comic images from both, the other has a policy against it.

I have, on recent occasion, posted scans of CBCS books.

I have not been approached because of it nor to my knowledge the posts have been deleted. Or maybe the mods didn't catch those posts, which I doubt.

This wasn't always so and I received a strike or two in the past.

Edited by Gotham Kid