• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the GA Section of the Boards Less Active?
3 3

118 posts in this topic

The boards are vastly superior to really any other form IG...facebook might come closer to what we have here, but sometimes a older format is better. I am against any type of form censorship of another grading or different grading company as to me CGC is superior in terms of consistent grading and they should welcome the comparison. Hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel Q1 2021 in terms of a estimate to return to normal in terms of economic activity.

However, we can never go back, only forwards, just look at 3 years ago..the speed of change has increased so when we go back it will be different. A factor which could increase GA/SA comic book collecting in the future is more available free time...40% of the workforce will probably remain "remote" which means less time to commute, less costs and more time to read, collect GA comic books. I think also the need or demand  to go to comic book conventions might increase with the workforce at home and people wanting to change it up. Futher if you can work with a laptop you could go to a comic book con and work from the hotel....I think looking forward the extra time and cost savings could spill over to SGA/SA comic book world  and a INCREASE in comic con attendance and interest.

Edited by Mmehdy

4 hours ago, buttock said:

The boards replaced CBM/CBG in terms of how collectors communicate, network, and shared information.  IG is good for networking, ok for communication, but poor for conveying robust information.  Hard to put an article or its equivalent on that platform.  Facebook is similar, maybe a little better for sharing info.  But neither platform has the archiving aspect that the boards do.  Some of the threads here are pushing 2 decades.  If you are looking to learn about comics, there's no better place.  If you want to show off and get likes, this isn't the place to do it.    

+1

17 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
4 hours ago, buttock said:

If you are looking to learn about comics, there's no better place.  If you want to show off and get likes, this isn't the place to do it.    

+1

+2

3 hours ago, BMoreLauren said:

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I use IG religiously. The comic community is OK there -- it seems like most of the people who are active on it are on the west coast. While I sometimes enjoy showing off a comic I may have, the boards are honestly better to use and sometimes easier to navigate. Does IG serve a purpose? Absolutely. But it's very one and done on there. 

Welcome back Lauren. Always enjoyed your posts. Hope you hang around!

17 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I don’t care if I am “liked”. I’m not here for that. I’m here to take and give. Posting a “like” is just a quick and lazy way to respond to a post. I much prefer a little dialog even if people disagree with me. IG has it’s place but there is no soul there. Please don’t like me. Just take a second and respond. 

I just liked your post. :baiting:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I don’t care if I am “liked”. I’m not here for that. I’m here to take and give. Posting a “like” is just a quick and lazy way to respond to a post. I much prefer a little dialog even if people disagree with me. IG has it’s place but there is no soul there. Please don’t like me. Just take a second and respond. 

Yes, that’s how I feel too.

But since NOW so many people just do “Likes”, instead of making an actual comment in a new post, the number of posts has gone down sharply, compared with before.  That is what I was trying to say.

52 minutes ago, buttock said:
1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I just liked your post. :baiting:

Hey look, instead of “Liking” the above (or one of the other allowed “reactions”), I’m making a brand new post, in which I’m saying:

That is funny.

But also:  stop doing that, Dan.  You’re decreasing the number of posts, dammit!  :bigsmile:

Another thing that happens now is that the “Like”, not being a new post any more, does NOT bump a thread to the top.  Back when people had to make actual new posts, instead of just “Liking”, that new post would bump the thread.

What that would do is keep more threads moving, more threads rotating in and out of the top positions, and would make it look like there was more activity going on.  

Sometimes I receive notifications that such-and-such person liked a post I made, say, one year ago.  But this no longer bumps that thread.  Previously, it would have bumped that thread out of obscurity into the limelight, all the way at the top, and it would once again have the opportunity to be examined by others and be commented on.  It kept threads revitalized, reinvented, re-examined, fresh, rotated, alive.  That doesn’t happen any more, due to the “Like” button.  And that also now gives more of an appearance of less activity/participation.  

4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Totally agree.

I see no real discussions anywhere. Just a lot of people posting their stuff with the "ooooh" and "aaahh" and "how much ?" comments that quickly follow.

That crowd seems to me as mostly people who are flippers, who don't care about the comics, just the money they can make off them. 

I had a Facebook account but deleted it.  I found no real value.  Sure I could see what my brother made for dinner and see his wife latest triathlon success (she actually doesn't do triathlons but likes to pretend she does on line, she tips the scale at about 350lbs).

I never had an instagram account.  Looks like a dumpster fire with a lot of people posting stupid stuff trying to become an "Instagram Influencer".  Looking forward to this being a degreed University program.

I do a little reddit but the comic section is like people say a stream of people posting for the likes.  I do like a few message board sections because people do long post sharing info. 

Twitter is a dumpster fire and definitely the place to go if you enjoy arguing with people.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

I had a Facebook account but deleted it.  I found no real value.  Sure I could see what my brother made for dinner and see his wife latest triathlon success (she actually doesn't do triathlons but likes to pretend she does on line, she tips the scale at about 350lbs).

I never had an instagram account.  Looks like a dumpster fire with a lot of people posting stupid stuff trying to become an "Instagram Influencer".  Looking forward to this being a degreed University program.

I do a little reddit but the comic section is like people say a stream of people posting for the likes.  I do like a few message board sections because people do long post sharing info. 

Twitter is a dumpster fire and definitely the place to go if you enjoy arguing with people.

I don’t do Twitter either. Kind of reminds me of the Water Cooler which I try my damnest  to stay out of. A lot of “know it alls” trying to prove they are somebody. Other than one warning for posting some tasteful nudity, I actually got a vacation for a couple political posts. This is a much friendlier place. 

This was always my place to share new beauties.  I particularly loved how posting a book would lead to a tangential conversation about the artist, publisher, similar books or things totally unrelated.  I admit I feel odd posting books that I sold even though I know the current owner will never post the so no one will see them again for a decade or two.

52 minutes ago, cheetah said:

This was always my place to share new beauties.  I particularly loved how posting a book would lead to a tangential conversation about the artist, publisher, similar books or things totally unrelated.  I admit I feel odd posting books that I sold even though I know the current owner will never post the so no one will see them again for a decade or two.

I for one would love to see them, if there is some way you could figure out how to be okay with doing that.

5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

The boards are vastly superior to really any other form IG...facebook might come closer to what we have here, but sometimes a older format is better. I am against any type of form censorship of another grading or different grading company as to me CGC is superior in terms of consistent grading and they should welcome the comparison. Hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel Q1 2021 in terms of a estimate to return to normal in terms of economic activity.

However, we can never go back, only forwards, just look at 3 years ago..the speed of change has increased so when we go back it will be different. A factor which could increase GA/SA comic book collecting in the future is more available free time...40% of the workforce will probably remain "remote" which means less time to commute, less costs and more time to read, collect GA comic books. I think also the need or demand  to go to comic book conventions might increase with the workforce at home and people wanting to change it up. Futher if you can work with a laptop you could go to a comic book con and work from the hotel....I think looking forward the extra time and cost savings could spill over to SGA/SA comic book world  and a INCREASE in comic con attendance and interest.

Mitch - this is the most optimistic post you've had in months! 

I was going to just like it, but @Robot Man kind of scared me out of it. 

5 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Sometimes I receive notifications that such-and-such person liked a post I made, say, one year ago.  But this no longer bumps that thread.  Previously, it would have bumped that thread out of obscurity into the limelight, all the way at the top, and it would once again have the opportunity to be examined by others and be commented on.  It kept threads revitalized, reinvented, re-examined, fresh, rotated, alive.  That doesn’t happen any more, due to the “Like” button.  And that also now gives more of an appearance of less activity/participation.  

Great point!  So do I on some of the old threads I started.  Makes me sad that they didn't post a comment and bump the thread back up.  

6 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Hey look, instead of “Liking” the above (or one of the other allowed “reactions”), I’m making a brand new post, in which I’m saying:

That is funny.

But also:  stop doing that, Dan.  You’re decreasing the number of posts, dammit!  :bigsmile:

I just liked your post :baiting: