• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the GA Section of the Boards Less Active?
3 3

118 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:
6 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Sometimes I receive notifications that such-and-such person liked a post I made, say, one year ago.  But this no longer bumps that thread.  Previously, it would have bumped that thread out of obscurity into the limelight, all the way at the top, and it would once again have the opportunity to be examined by others and be commented on.  It kept threads revitalized, reinvented, re-examined, fresh, rotated, alive.  That doesn’t happen any more, due to the “Like” button.  And that also now gives more of an appearance of less activity/participation.  

Great point!  So do I on some of the old threads I started.  Makes me sad that they didn't post a comment and bump the thread back up.  

I think if some of us try to make that small effort to post a comment instead of Liking a post, even if only sometimes, it might make things a bit more lively.  And it really is a very tiny bit of effort. 

6 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Another thing that happens now is that the “Like”, not being a new post any more, does NOT bump a thread to the top.  Back when people had to make actual new posts, instead of just “Liking”, that new post would bump the thread.

What that would do is keep more threads moving, more threads rotating in and out of the top positions, and would make it look like there was more activity going on.  

Sometimes I receive notifications that such-and-such person liked a post I made, say, one year ago.  But this no longer bumps that thread.  Previously, it would have bumped that thread out of obscurity into the limelight, all the way at the top, and it would once again have the opportunity to be examined by others and be commented on.  It kept threads revitalized, reinvented, re-examined, fresh, rotated, alive.  That doesn’t happen any more, due to the “Like” button.  And that also now gives more of an appearance of less activity/participation.  

So...New Rule...if you like an old post just say something and it will bump to the top...:idea:

8 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

The boards are vastly superior to really any other form IG...facebook might come closer to what we have here, but sometimes a older format is better. I am against any type of form censorship of another grading or different grading company as to me CGC is superior in terms of consistent grading and they should welcome the comparison. Hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel Q1 2021 in terms of a estimate to return to normal in terms of economic activity.

However, we can never go back, only forwards, just look at 3 years ago..the speed of change has increased so when we go back it will be different. A factor which could increase GA/SA comic book collecting in the future is more available free time...40% of the workforce will probably remain "remote" which means less time to commute, less costs and more time to read, collect GA comic books. I think also the need or demand  to go to comic book conventions might increase with the workforce at home and people wanting to change it up. Futher if you can work with a laptop you could go to a comic book con and work from the hotel....I think looking forward the extra time and cost savings could spill over to SGA/SA comic book world  and a INCREASE in comic con attendance and interest.

Mitch, take that damn avatar I made for you and adopt it!  Now!  I want to stop looking like you every time I post...:preach:

Several months ago, I decided to do an All Star Comics thread,there was none, since I own the entire Golden Age run of #1-#57 and all of them are CGC graded. It took me quite a few years to complete it.

It was a lot of work reviewing each issue. I had expected a lot of interaction with fellow collectors with it. Instead there were only 2-3 regular followers and once in awhile a new person would chime in. I was so disappointed with the lack of following that by issue #17, I was ready to throw in the towel. Luckily one of the 3 regular followers convinced me to finish it which I did. 

I have been told that in the 70's and 80's, if you wanted to be considered a major Golden Age collector, you had to have a nice run or a complete collection  of All Star Comics. Now all you need is a few GGA books, PCH, a few Batman/Detective, and some Timely. 

Every once in awhile, if I have nothing else better to do, I will take a quick look at the Golden Age Board. But I prefer to spend my time elsewhere now.

Edited by Ghastly542454

56 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

I decided to do an All Star Comics thread,there was none, since I own the entire Golden Age run of #1-#57 and all of them are CGC graded. It took me quite a few years to complete it.

I just did a topics search for All Star, and I’m sorry to say it didn’t come up in the first of about 7k pages that came up. If you don’t mind posting a link, I’d like to read your thread

The boards are a wealth of information that you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else.  I've told countless people on IG about these boards and I don't think any of them have signed up or contributed here.  Times are changing and there is so much content to consume that sometimes its difficult for people to add something else to their already packed schedules of consuming content.  I've also heard "is there an app for the forum" and a lot of people are not going to log into a website to read and type some comments in especially when they are already used to typing quickly on their phones while on the run.  I think most of the reasons stated here are correct and contribute to the lack of participation at times here on these boards.

1. Too many sources of content and mass consumption of social media spreading people too thin.

2. People want the quick access to community rather than logging on and sharing comments on a message board.  Having an app is crucial to this.  People wouldn't spend as much time on Reddit if there wasn't an app.

3. More constant eyes over on IG, FB that can create a larger network of collectors to talk with or buy/sell/trade with.

I'm a fan of the IG community but at times it does feel shallow.  I've been an active member here and on IG for about the same amount of time and i've met a few people from IG in person, made some good online relationships with great people and bought and sold more over there.

I'm a fan of these boards because of the wealth of knowledge.  I've alluded to this multiple times before in other posts but there can be certain elitist attitudes here that can be a turn off from new people checking the board out and the water cooler can get pretty toxic (much worse in the past). 

I will say that most other boards I've been a member of for some time have seen a drop off in participation so I don't think it is this board or comics in general but more about technology changing the way how people consume their content and communicate with one another.

17 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

The boards are a wealth of information that you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else.  I've told countless people on IG about these boards and I don't think any of them have signed up or contributed here.  Times are changing and there is so much content to consume that sometimes its difficult for people to add something else to their already packed schedules of consuming content.  I've also heard "is there an app for the forum" and a lot of people are not going to log into a website to read and type some comments in especially when they are already used to typing quickly on their phones while on the run.  I think most of the reasons stated here are correct and contribute to the lack of participation at times here on these boards.

1. Too many sources of content and mass consumption of social media spreading people too thin.

2. People want the quick access to community rather than logging on and sharing comments on a message board.  Having an app is crucial to this.  People wouldn't spend as much time on Reddit if there wasn't an app.

3. More constant eyes over on IG, FB that can create a larger network of collectors to talk with or buy/sell/trade with.

I'm a fan of the IG community but at times it does feel shallow.  I've been an active member here and on IG for about the same amount of time and i've met a few people from IG in person, made some good online relationships with great people and bought and sold more over there.

I'm a fan of these boards because of the wealth of knowledge.  I've alluded to this multiple times before in other posts but there can be certain elitist attitudes here that can be a turn off from new people checking the board out and the water cooler can get pretty toxic (much worse in the past). 

I will say that most other boards I've been a member of for some time have seen a drop off in participation so I don't think it is this board or comics in general but more about technology changing the way how people consume their content and communicate with one another.

So, in a manner of speaking the reduced enthusiasm here is related to pressing! I knew there was something suspicious about this thread.  hm

On 10/20/2020 at 8:32 AM, The-Collector said:

If you like old funny books it's the place to be. :nyah:

I think you have to be a bit more wary of scammers than the boards but there is a big community of good people. 

I joined Instagram so I could post pictures of my comics. Other than one picture of my grandson, that's all I have posted. I have also purchased several comics from Instagram sellers and, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems. It took me a while to figure things out, but I know how to do the things I need to do now.

My only beef is that it will not let you post new content nor can you edit content that you have already posted, if you are using a PC. My smartphone screen is small, and I can't see anything up close without reader's glasses. I can type much faster on a PC keyboard than I can on my smartphone. But I'm probably not the demographic that Instagram was designed for.

I’m still buying a bit. Especially here from my fellow boardies. My days of buying what I consider “big dollar” books is for the most part over. I’ve been collecting for 50 years. Not a whole lot left in my favorite genres left. I just don’t get the thrill I used to. I have too many other interests any way.

That being said, I still love old comics. Just lowering my sights to a more realistic level.

I love having a package coming to me. Kind of like getting a file in the cake in prison. Something to make me smile and keeping in the game. 

Coming here is a bit of refuge from the current hurricane of life.