• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the GA Section of the Boards Less Active?
3 3

118 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I’m still buying a bit. Especially here from my fellow boardies. My days of buying what I consider “big dollar” books is for the most part over. I’ve been collecting for 50 years. Not a whole lot left in my favorite genres left. I just don’t get the thrill I used to. I have too many other interests any way.

That being said, I still love old comics. Just lowering my sights to a more realistic level.

I love having a package coming to me. Kind of like getting a file in the cake in prison. Something to make me smile and keeping in the game. 

Coming here is a bit of refuge from the current hurricane of life. 

Absolutely comics are an escape.  Also, does any potential wane in activity here relate to lack of new Superheror theatrical releases?

On 10/18/2020 at 2:09 PM, circumstances said:

Pandemic and politics probably explain distracted people in general over the past 8 months.

Let's hope after vaccines and elections everyone reactivates.

On 10/18/2020 at 2:42 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Amen.  I'm so agitated about the world that I find myself browsing the boards less and less, and posting less and less.  Its importance has shrunk in my mind, comparatively speaking.  

Samesies. This, plus life just generally being busier and tougher, plus child care issues. 

15 hours ago, Point Five said:

Samesies. This, plus life just generally being busier and tougher, plus child care issues. 

My kids are all grown up and out so I don’t have those issues any more. 

My life has slowed down to a crawl. A lot of places I can’t go to or things I can’t do anymore. Very frustrating because I am a very active person. 

I finally retired about 6 months before this mess started. Got really busy and had a lot of plans that came to a sceeching halt. Been tough. 

How bad is it when some yard work or a trip to Costco is the highlight of your day?   :sorry:

I find I am much more irritated and have less patience with people than I used to. Have had too much time to think and don’t really like a lot of people as much as I used to. 

I recently spoke to 3 long time boardies here. They have all decided to all but leave the boards. VERY sad. I really like these folks and will miss their contributions. 

I attribute this to the current pandemic and political issues. A lot of personal attacks that have even recently creeped into GA which has always been a real safe zone. Folks are on edge and the little pleasures we all enjoy have just become less important I guess. 

So yes, much less active for sure and kind of sad. Hopefully, things will settle down sooner than later and things pick up again. 

Edited by Robot Man

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My kids are all grown up and out so I don’t have those issues any more. 

My life has slowed down to a crawl. A lot of places I can’t go to or things I can’t do anymore. Very frustrating because I am a very active person. 

I finally retired about 6 months before this mess started. Got really busy and had a lot of plans that came to a sceeching halt. Been tough. 

How bad is it when some yard work or a trip to Costco is the highlight of your day?   :sorry:

I find I am much more irritated and have less patience with people than I used to. Have had too much time to think and don’t really like a lot of people as much as I used to. 

I recently spoke to 3 long time boardies here. They have all decided to all but leave the boards. VERY sad. I really like these folks and will miss their contributions. 

I attribute this to the current pandemic and political issues. A lot of personal attacks that have even recently creeped into GA which has always been a real safe zone. Folks are on edge and the little pleasures we all enjoy have just become less important I guess. 

So yes, much less active for sure and kind of sad. Hopefully, things will settle down sooner than later and things pick up again. 

pound for pound the boards are the best thing out there and ROBO members have come and gone for years. There are and have always been a lot of lookers whom read the boards everyday but will not post, yes its tough some times out there, and maybe some of the members who are gonna leave will come back, we just need to get through this year and I hope to look for a slow but even recovery at the end of next year. Comic book conventions whether small or large have become very important in my eyes, we are collectors are not on an island and I really miss the interaction of those events in my life.

Everybody's plans have changed due to this virus and I look forward to seeing some of the greatest collections come to the market in the next 5 years. I think the more material coming out will get us excited about our collections and thus improve board traffic.

Hang in there, ROBO

17 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I can only speak for myself, but I like it when you get carried away.

Really? You think there are that many people who enjoy seeing Marty's newsstand-bought GA book pics? :cloud9: (and the only answer to that question can be HELLYA!)

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

When I got back into comics after 20 years away I did not even know this forum existed until @Roger66 told me about it after buying something from/ selling something to him on eBay. I would not have immersed myself so deeply in comics if it were not for the community here. Lately, I am so busy spending time with comics that I have not had time to talk about them or show them off or "Ooh" and "Ahh" like I did when this was just a fun hobby. I mean, just today, I had hundreds of golden age books, like Batman 1 and many others pass through my hands today and I will have more again tomorrow. Not a bad life :foryou:

I WANT YOUR LIFE

actually, your absence around here has been noticed, but I guess our loss is Heritage’s gain

Scanning through this thread's topic my take is I cannot help reflect on how expensive participating in this hobby has become for me.  It seemed only a couple of years ago (likely longer) that with $1,500 in my week-end pocket I could pluck some nice coveted gems off a sale's thread here or there and still have some loose change left over for eBay.  Fast-forward to nowadays and I would rather keep that $1,500 in my bank account because what is being offered at today's prices is in IMO more often than not very over-priced (with some exceptions of course).  There are many times I will see a sale's thread here with perhaps a 1/2 dozen golden-age books being offered at prices that IF even offered to me at 50% off I would immediately decline.  Intuition and love has carried me through this hobby and those same 2 feelings have me thinking that over 80% of what I see being offered for sale on the Boards, eBay and IG is just not worth the price even if offers are accepted.  So I remain an observer, a private messenger and I will pick up the phone on occasion to talk with old comic pals, who's dear friendship I made here on the Boards.  So I am active but quiet about it.  I think many members may be like me - still here, watching, listening and communicating in private.  :flamed: