• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - disruptive thread - [CLOSED] Ebay/Auctiva is busted and I gotta sell some comics!
5 5

131 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, agamoto said:

I can't speak to your own experience with sellers, but I can assure you, neither statement was intended as a pressure tactic, just statements of fact. I'm new to the forum, and new to selling comics in general other than on ebay or having third parties sell for me at Heritage and on Facebook. I thought this avenue might be more enjoyable and profitable, so far that's not been the case.

My point here is that I told you I was going to pull it, yet you chose to drop a "take" down on it anyway before I had an opportunity to pull the ad. In fact, I was right in the middle of altering the ad when I had to deal with a client at 1:44PM and I have the phone records to prove it, not that I think it would matter to anyone here if I produced those call records, but as soon as I was finished with my client, I made the changes. If I'm going to be told that changing the ad status should have taken priority over my career responsibilities, I'm going to tell you, scoticollector and any other tom, or harry who agrees to saw off.  Given your description of your past transaction history with bad actors, I'm guessing there are already several people in the chorus muttering some form of the words "Life gets in the way, sure, we've heard that one before." I'd hope this place hasn't become that cynical. 

Let me present a similar scenario... I've sold several books now with no "take" made in the thread indicated by the buyers. Are you guys all telling me that if I agree to a sale with someone privately, (and I'm not talking about a negotiation here, I'm talking about a committed buy where price is agreed to and invoice has been sent), then anyone else who comes along with a "take" during the brief window in time before I'm able to change the status of a book to "sold" means I must rescind that sale, tear up the invoice and give the deal to the guy in the thread all because the original buyer didn't drop a "take" on the thread? If that's the case, then that too is ridiculous. If that is not the case, then someone please tell me why the window of time required for me to alter the ad indicating it's sold is perfectly fine in that instance, but not in a situation where I wish to close the sale for any other legitimate reason? 

No, I would NOT have honored any other "take" after I made the decision to pull it, just as I would not honor a "take" on any book which I had already committed to selling to someone else privately yet hadn't had time to alter the ad to indicate it's closure. As mentioned to you in PM, I certainly would have honored your take it if you had committed to buying it PRIOR to me telling you I was pulling it, but you didn't come to me committing to anything, not in your first message, and not in your second, third or fourth. You were clearly angling towards a bundle deal and a likely price discount, with zero commitment expressed. 

As you admitted yourself privately, you should have dropped your "take" first. That definitely would have been in your favor and like I told you, I would have respected that, regardless of the outcome of your questioning even though it seems my answers made you lose interest in the Avengers book between 1:43 and 1:59PM. You could have easily rescinded your "take" after getting your answers, right? Or is that "take" also somehow binding on you as well? If that is the case, then that's kind of silly too. If the purpose of the "take" is to bind a deal, then I also must consider words and actions here as well.  

From my perspective, your actions appear as if you're taking advantage of the rigidity of the rules so that I am forced into a scenario where I can either take a much smaller reputation hit and settle the deal in your favor or take a massive reputation hit by not honoring your take and perhaps lose selling privileges altogether.

The reaction from the peanut gallery lends a lot of credence to that hypothesis, but I don't want to believe you'd do that sort of thing.

First one to respond with a take it wins, no matter what, I'm fine with that. 

(shrug)

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Was that second paragraph meant to be the response about pressing? I agree I appreciated your extensive info on the books conditions and market values, which is why I thought it odd that you left out pressing info which you also knew. Why be so giving of one type of info on the book, but hold back other info? It was just weird and inconsistent. I still don't think I understand your reasoning on withholding the pressing info. 

And you cant know what I would have done (regarding an immediate take of the IH141), just like I couldn't know if you were really going to pull it. Trying to figure out intent is tough, so it's best to stick to actions that have actually occurred rather than try to predict what actions might have occurred. 

You make it appear as if I'm trying to be cleverly deceptive. Some of the books I bought in their case and I do not know their pressing status, or I can tell by looking at them that they haven't been pressed or cleaned, or done so poorly. I provided a link to very detailed photographs of the books and offered the grader's notes on every single book if it was available. Is that not enough information for people to go on? Is it customary for people to also indicate in their ads whether a book has been pressed? An examination of other sales threads started by people with thousands of more posts that I have seems to indicate it's not customary to offer that, or it's entirely inconsistent.

Be that as it may, had you dropped your take, and then asked about me about the books, that would have been perfectly ok with me, and I would have honored the sale at posted price, or would have even negotiated down since you seemed interested in a bundle. I also would have perfectly been fine with you deciding not to commit to the take if you didn't like the answers I had for you. You didn't commit until after you got my answer about the pressing status, and you committed after I told you that upon review I was going to pull the item. 

One of the strongest reasons why negotiations should be a matter of public discourse within the threads, in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

First one to respond with a take it wins, no matter what, I'm fine with that. 

(shrug)

For the 99th time, the person who dropped the "take" did so AFTER I told him the book was being pulled. I literally was in the midst of modifying the ad when my client reached out to me.

My take on this is very simple. The offer on that book ceased, for EVERYONE on the platform when I made the decision to pull the book, and began the process of doing so. Is there any timestamps or logs out there that may indicate when I started that process? Would it even matter? People crying foul of that, c'mon. You're acting like I'm trying to pull a bait and switch or bilk this guy out of his money. Brick and mortar/online stores rescind orders for a number of reasons all the time and refund customers when they've already paid.

If your opinion on that is "Tough, you didn't have it changed when he decided to throw his take down 15 minutes later, so suck it up buttercup," you're entitled that opinion. However it doesn't change the position that the take was made after he was made aware the book was being pulled. Do I need to remind folks that no cash has been exchanged here, not even brought up within the private messaging? The only one who is being harmed here in this scenario is me, and frankly, that is absolute .

11 minutes ago, agamoto said:

I can't speak to your own experience with sellers, but I can assure you, neither statement was intended as a pressure tactic, just statements of fact. I'm new to the forum, and new to selling comics in general other than on ebay or having third parties sell for me at Heritage and on Facebook. I thought this avenue might be more enjoyable and profitable, so far that's not been the case.

My point here is that I told you I was going to pull it, yet you chose to drop a "take" down on it anyway before I had an opportunity to pull the ad. In fact, I was right in the middle of altering the ad when I had to deal with a client at 1:44PM and I have the phone records to prove it, not that I think it would matter to anyone here if I produced those call records, but as soon as I was finished with my client, I made the changes. If I'm going to be told that changing the ad status should have taken priority over my career responsibilities, I'm going to tell you, scoticollector and any other tom, or harry who agrees to saw off.  Given your description of your past transaction history with bad actors, I'm guessing there are already several people in the chorus muttering some form of the words "Life gets in the way, sure, we've heard that one before." I'd hope this place hasn't become that cynical. 

Let me present a similar scenario... I've sold several books now with no "take" made in the thread indicated by the buyers. Are you guys all telling me that if I agree to a sale with someone privately, (and I'm not talking about a negotiation here, I'm talking about a committed buy where price is agreed to and invoice has been sent), then anyone else who comes along with a "take" during the brief window in time before I'm able to change the status of a book to "sold" means I must rescind that sale, tear up the invoice and give the deal to the guy in the thread all because the original buyer didn't drop a "take" on the thread? If that's the case, then that too is ridiculous. If that is not the case, then someone please tell me why the window of time required for me to alter the ad indicating it's sold is perfectly fine in that instance, but not in a situation where I wish to close the sale for any other legitimate reason? 

No, I would NOT have honored any other "take" after I made the decision to pull it, just as I would not honor a "take" on any book which I had already committed to selling to someone else privately yet hadn't had time to alter the ad to indicate it's closure. As mentioned to you in PM, I certainly would have honored your take it if you had committed to buying it PRIOR to me telling you I was pulling it, but you didn't come to me committing to anything, not in your first message, and not in your second, third or fourth. You were clearly angling towards a bundle deal and a likely price discount, with zero commitment expressed. 

As you admitted yourself privately, you should have dropped your "take" first. That definitely would have been in your favor and like I told you, I would have respected that, regardless of the outcome of your questioning even though it seems my answers made you lose interest in the Avengers book between 1:43 and 1:59PM. You could have easily rescinded your "take" after getting your answers, right? Or is that "take" also somehow binding on you as well? If that is the case, then that's kind of silly too. If the purpose of the "take" is to bind a deal, then I also must consider words and actions here as well.  

From my perspective, your actions appear as if you're taking advantage of the rigidity of the rules so that I am forced into a scenario where I can either take a much smaller reputation hit and settle the deal in your favor or take a massive reputation hit by not honoring your take and perhaps lose selling privileges altogether.

The reaction from the peanut gallery lends a lot of credence to that hypothesis, but I don't want to believe you'd do that sort of thing.

I can only speak to what I do as a seller. 

In my experience... (and I'm saying all this as an opportunity merely to share experience and information) 

When I have a "take it" via a PM, I immediately update the listing with the fact that it sold via PM. That way other potential buyers know the book is no longer available. This is typical. 

Typically the buyer, when taking it via PM, will also do a "take it via PM" in the thread so no one else takes it. Most times a "take it via PM" is made (there are rare occurrences of people wanting to keep a transaction private, so they leave the posting to the seller)

If it had been me, when I decided to pull the IH141 (or when I realized I had posted it, but had not intended to), my immediate action would have been to pull it from the thread. Not continue posting books or replying to PMs, it would have been the #1 thing to d. Again. I can only say what I would do. 

It has certainly occurred in the past where a PM take it occurred and before the thread could be updated someone else took it publicly. Those cases get resolved 99 times out of 100 by the seller just stating that Buyer X had already bought it via PM, with a date stamp/screen grab showing it had already been bought. Typically this happens in the span of just a few minutes difference. Here we are dealing with a 32 minute window from your "think" and your edit. And an even larger window from whenever you originally realized that you had listed, priced and described a book you didnt mean to post for sale (this timing I have no idea on). 

And no I could not, nor would not, have rescinded a PM or posted "Take it". If I take it, I take it. Some threads allow for "conditional take its" pending scans, but this isn't that scenario. If you had allowed for conditional takes, I guess I could have posted a "take it if it's not pressed" though that's FAR from the norm here on the boards. Typically, on the boards if you have questions/concerns, you ask first and once the questions are answered you decide if you want to take. If I had just posted "take it" and then asked if it was pressed or not, I'd be bound to my declaration regardless of the answer, and I'd be on the hook to take it. Since it's pressing status was a factor in whether I wanted to take it, I asked, at which point you told me and you told me that you "think" you are going to pull it. 

I've tried to be even about this situation, sticking to what I knew and saw. You aren't going to lose selling privileges on the boards. This situation falls in the grey area due to some atypical things and some timing things so no one is going to nominate you for the probation list and certainly not for the Hall of Shame. 

I cant say much about the peanut gallery, they have minds (or lack thereof :D) of their own. Maybe saying if/how you'd do things differently going forward to avoid these type of situations would simmer things down? 

39 minutes ago, agamoto said:

For the 99th time, the person who dropped the "take" did so AFTER I told him the book was being pulled.

Just to be accurate, you didn't tell me the book was being pulled you told me you "think" you were "going to pull the book" (i think the word "think" does some work in the sentence. If you had posted "The book is no longer available" or even a future declarative "I am going to pull the book from the thread" it is much clearer than "I think I am going to..." 

38 minutes ago, agamoto said:

My take on this is very simple. The offer on that book ceased, for EVERYONE on the platform when I made the decision to pull the book, and began the process of doing so. Is there any timestamps or logs out there that may indicate when I started that process? Would it even matter? People crying foul of that, c'mon. You're acting like I'm trying to pull a bait and switch or bilk this guy out of his money. Brick and mortar/online stores rescind orders for a number of reasons all the time and refund customers when they've already paid.

If your opinion on that is "Tough, you didn't have it changed when he decided to throw his take down 15 minutes later, so suck it up buttercup," you're entitled that opinion. However it doesn't change the position that the take was made after he was made aware the book was being pulled. Do I need to remind folks that no cash has been exchanged here, not even brought up within the private messaging? The only one who is being harmed here in this scenario is me, and frankly, that is absolute .

The idea that an offer of a book ceases when the seller makes a private decision would be atypical of practices here. It can certainly be part of you sales model though, we all get to set our own rules (above and beyond the standard ones). You just have to make that clear in your thread rules. 

Here's something of the language I'd suggest using going forward for your threads: 

"Seller retains the right to pull back any book, at anytime, including after a book is claimed"

(if those are the terms under which you want to sell) this would ensure that any potential buyers understand the conditions of the sales thread, and if you decide to pull a book, you can pull it even if someone posts an "I'll take it" when you are in the midst of editing a post an get delayed for whatever reason (client, etc)

Edited by miraclemet
fixed the quote boxes

6 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I can only speak to what I do as a seller. 

In my experience... (and I'm saying all this as an opportunity merely to share experience and information)

I can appreciate it. As mentioned, I'm a newb to this board, but I'm certainly no stranger to selling merchandise online. The particular nuances and apparently unwritten rules here are quite a bit off the path of my experience however. What I don't appreciate are some of the others who have gone out of their way to ridicule me, brigade me or otherwise help taint my reputation a darker shade with their curt and snide color commentary.

When I have a "take it" via a PM, I immediately update the listing with the fact that it sold via PM. That way other potential buyers know the book is no longer available. This is typical.

Understood, I actually haven't experienced that yet, everyone seems to angle for a deal or bundle and then it's agreed to, and then I update the ad. In our particular situation there really was no negotiation or take until the public one you made at 1:59PM.

Typically the buyer, when taking it via PM, will also do a "take it via PM" in the thread so no one else takes it. Most times a "take it via PM" is made (there are rare occurrences of people wanting to keep a transaction private, so they leave the posting to the seller)

Is this information in FAQ somewhere? I didn't see this. In our situation, at what time would it have been appropriate for either you, or me, to put a "take it via PM" on the ad?

If it had been me, when I decided to pull the IH141 (or when I realized I had posted it, but had not intended to), my immediate action would have been to pull it from the thread. Not continue posting books or replying to PMs, it would have been the #1 thing to d. Again. I can only say what I would do.

Technically, it was my immediate reaction to do precisely what you describe, however as mentioned, I had to take a call right in the midst of me updating it. As you can see from what is there now, I wasn't simply deleting it, or hiding it, I wanted to alter the image size and put a description as to why the book was no longer going to be available. The client contact me precisely at 1:44 and I did not get to wrap that up. 

It has certainly occurred in the past where a PM take it occurred and before the thread could be updated someone else took it publicly. Those cases get resolved 99 times out of 100 by the seller just stating that Buyer X had already bought it via PM, with a date stamp/screen grab showing it had already been bought. Typically this happens in the span of just a few minutes difference. Here we are dealing with a 32 minute window from your "think" and your edit. And an even larger window from whenever you originally realized that you had listed, priced and described a book you didnt mean to post for sale (this timing I have no idea on).

This I understand as it's precisely what occurred with the sale of my GSX1 9.6 White to BlazingBob. The several people who were in the midst of negotiating with me actually stepped back and told me that Bob gets the book because of the public "take". 

And no I could not, nor would not, have rescinded a PM or posted "Take it". If I take it, I take it. Some threads allow for "conditional take its" pending scans, but this isn't that scenario. If you had allowed for conditional takes, I guess I could have posted a "take it if it's not pressed" though that's FAR from the norm here on the boards. Typically, on the boards if you have questions/concerns, you ask first and once the questions are answered you decide if you want to take. If I had just posted "take it" and then asked if it was pressed or not, I'd be bound to my declaration regardless of the answer, and I'd be on the hook to take it. Since it's pressing status was a factor in whether I wanted to take it, I asked, at which point you told me and you told me that you "think" you are going to pull it.

I certainly would not have bound you to it. I don't believe anyone should be bound to buy something that you haven't held in your hands anymore than a seller should be bound to sell to someone he doesn't know and/or doesn't trust unless a mutually beneficial arrangement has been agreed to either publicly or privately. I certainly can understand why the policy exists as I'll bet it cuts down on a lot of arguments. The problem here, of course, is the issue around me pulling the book. In my view, the offer was off the table, I just hadn't had a chance to put the sign up yet.

I've tried to be even about this situation, sticking to what I knew and saw. You aren't going to lose selling privileges on the boards. This situation falls in the grey area due to some atypical things and some timing things so no one is going to nominate you for the probation list and certainly not for the Hall of Shame. 

I cant say much about the peanut gallery, they have minds (or lack thereof :D) of their own. Maybe saying if/how you'd do things differently going forward to avoid these type of situations would simmer things down? 

I think you've been more than civil, despite feisty words of my own lofted your way. Not gone unappreciated. You said that your action to drop the "Take" despite my 1:43 comment was predicated on your bad experiences in the past with sellers playing sly. I can understand that reaction, but frankly, I'm rather taken aback by those who absolutely insist on enforcing a rule that gives one party all of the power while I'm allowed zero leverage in a situation where my intentions were made known and followed through on when I had the opportunity to do so.

I don't know what I'll do going forward, a thorough read of any of these rules laid out somewhere is certainly in order, however I'm so rather disenchanted by all of this, and the time commitment involved, that I'm strongly considering piling everything into a uHaul, heading to Dallas and handing it all off to Heritage/MyComicsShop to deal with.

50 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Just to be accurate, you didn't tell me the book was being pulled you told me you "think" you were "going to pull the book" (i think the word "think" does some work in the sentence. If you had posted "The book is no longer available" or even a future declarative "I am going to pull the book from the thread" it is much clearer than "I think I am going to 

The idea that an offer of a book ceases when the seller makes a private decision would be atypical of practices here. It can certainly be part of you sales model though, we all get to set our own rules (above and beyond the standard ones). You just have to make that clear in your thread rules. 

Here's something of the language I'd suggest using going forward for your threads: 

"Seller retains the right to pull back any book, at anytime, including after a book is claimed"

(if those are the terms under which you want to sell) this would ensure that any potential buyers understand the conditions of the sales thread, and if you decide to pull a book, you can pull it even if someone posts an "I'll take it" when you are in the midst of editing a post an get delayed for whatever reason (client, etc)

We're venturing into the land of semantics! The land of my people!

"I think" and phrases like it are "I statements" and in this circumstance are spoken to underline the proposed action with a strong emotional undertone. "I feel", "I think", "I believe that"... They're tacked on to a proposed action or expression in an effort to internalize and personalize that action or expression, a means to avoid, curtail or negate possible conflict which might arise from the suggested course of action or expression. A way in which to frame the action or expression entirely upon oneself and to help avoid the other party from feeling the course of action taken is a result of something they did.

To me, there's no difference between "I think I am going to pull the book", versus "I am going to pull the book." 

As for the language going forward, I don't know if I agree with that. (There's another one of those I statements! :)) 

A seller should not have that right. That's pretty fast and loose and would lead to all sorts of havoc. 

Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but you stated buyers do sometimes pop onto threads to declare "take it" when the seller has already committed to selling the book in a PM and before the seller has had a chance to change the ad. If the accepted resolution in that scenario is to provide proof via a PM timestamp to the public "taker" that a private "take" had occurred, then why does the same standard not apply to sellers who, lacking an actual offer on the item, make a point of informing the intent to pull the item from sale, and before they've had a chance to change the ad?

42 minutes ago, agamoto said:

What I don't appreciate are some of the others who have gone out of their way to ridicule me, brigade me or otherwise help taint my reputation a darker shade with their curt and snide color commentary.

The forums are a self policed community... not Facebook. there are ways things are done here to make that community including standing by the rules you set forth and the rules of the boards. No one was attacking you , people were just pointing out how it is done around here and how you set your rules you need to stand by.. whether the rules are overly comprehensive or simple is up to you. but the community will police them, that is why people are so comfortable selling and buying at very substantial levels here. the peanut gallery has saved many a person from fraud around here.. I myself :takeit: on a hulk 181 that was a scam.. thankfully someone butted in and found the same book and serial number listed elsewhere by a different seller and let me know before I paid. saved me a couple grand.. 

2 minutes ago, agamoto said:

orrect me if I'm mistaken here, but you stated buyers do sometimes pop onto threads to declare "take it" when the seller has already committed to selling the book in a PM and before the seller has had a chance to change the ad. If the accepted resolution in that scenario is to provide proof via a PM timestamp to the public "taker" that a private "take" had occurred, then why does the same standard not apply to sellers who, lacking an actual offer on the item, make a point of informing the intent to pull the item from sale, and before they've had a chance to change the ad?

Depends on the rules set forth by the seller.. some will say an I take it trumps all like you did in your rules and which point pm negotiations mean nothing .. or they will state that whatever comes in time stamped first the pm or the ill take it.. wins. you make the rules..we make sure you follow them

1 hour ago, SOTIcollector said:

On a totally unrelated note... I see what you did there.  I appreciate a clever use of the language, and that's spooning clever.  :)

Credit where it's due. That's the profanity filter's doing. I've got to give it props for the subtle unintended algorithm consequence dig.

Lets all cut each other a little slack, sounds like a miscommunication.
But I would say that best way I avoid situations like this is to not post books Im wavering on, so to not create any of situations like this :). And defer to buyer's decision if situation happens.

Edited by Changer

59 minutes ago, Changer said:

Lets all cut each other a little slack, sounds like a miscommunication.
But I would say that best way I avoid situations like this is to not post books Im wavering on, so to not create any of situations like this :). And defer to buyer's decision if situation happens.

BD358849-6318-454A-A05E-705082407B17.jpeg

3 hours ago, gunsmokin said:

I can’t believe this is still going...rantrant

Thanks for your contribution! :golfclap: