• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registry for trading cards
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I'm currently curating a collection of rare MTG misprints, and currently hold a sizeable portion of the Beckett Registries graded cards for this collection at 9.0 and higher.

I bought a CGC membership to look at your registry to see if there are more graded/registered cards of this set that I wasn't aware of in existence and seem to only find comics in there. Could someone point me to the right place to see, or confirm that you aren't currently registering grade trading cards? 

Thank you! 

• Administrator

Hello @Calranos,

Thank you for your post. The CGC registry only contains comic books and magazines at this time. We plan to release a Trading Card registry at a much later date. Please note that you do not need to purchase a membership to participate or view the Registry or Census. You may actually be referring to the Census as this show the total number of comics, magazines and trading cards (we will begin to build this section soon) and not the registry.

Matt,

I'm curating a misprint set with an extremely limited availability world-wide and exclusivity is a big factor in value... I'm currently filling out a submission form for just under 400 cards to send to you and your reply has given me pause. If you wont have a registry to gauge exclusivity by Q4 of 2021, that could potentially affect the salability of this graded set via CGC (as opposed to running through Beckett which is much slower and more expensive than you, but is tracking their graded cards world-wide). 

Can you give me any further clarification/information on what you mean by "we plan to release a trading card registry at a much later date." Not holding you to it perse, but I do need a better understanding of what that means best/worst case before I can send you this order. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Calranos said:

Matt,

I'm curating a misprint set with an extremely limited availability world-wide and exclusivity is a big factor in value... I'm currently filling out a submission form for just under 400 cards to send to you and your reply has given me pause. If you wont have a registry to gauge exclusivity by Q4 of 2021, that could potentially affect the salability of this graded set via CGC (as opposed to running through Beckett which is much slower and more expensive than you, but is tracking their graded cards world-wide). 

Can you give me any further clarification/information on what you mean by "we plan to release a trading card registry at a much later date." Not holding you to it perse, but I do need a better understanding of what that means best/worst case before I can send you this order. 

Hello @Calranos,

Thank you for your post. I believe you are referring to the census and not the registry. The census, or population report, is used to see how many of each collectible we have graded. Both items are on our radar for 2021 and I believe the census will be the first of the two to be completed. I believe it is safe to say that this should be completed prior to Q4 of 2021. Thank you

Outstanding Matt, thank you for the clarification. I'll be sending this order to CGC shortly. Your pricing is better, your grading is on par with Beckett from what I've heard, your time frame is way faster, and I'm told you're a bit more gentle with centering subgrades (hugely relevant for old MTG releases). Very interested to see how you do with these!