• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

off topic: I'm interested in the science of collecting
2 2

86 posts in this topic

So I'm really interested in the science of collecting itself.  Like what motivates us to collect?  And what techniques can we use to do it better?  I find the economics associated with selecting a collectible fascinating  though I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Anyone else interested in that kind of thing?  Is there a forum somewhere that people get down to the nitty gritty on this stuff?

Edited by Westy Steve

18 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

So I'm really interested in the science of collecting itself.  Like what motivates us to collect?  And what techniques can we use to do it better?  I find the economics associated with selecting a collectible, though I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Anyone else interested in that kind of thing?  Is there a forum somewhere that people get down to the nitty gritty on this stuff?

I amvery interested and have thought about it often.  There's the nostalgia factor, but not always.  People who as children enjoyed something like comics or toys to a great extent can get the collecting bug-it's a way of reconnecting with a time when things were larger.  

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

So I'm really interested in the science of collecting itself.  Like what motivates us to collect?  And what techniques can we use to do it better?  I find the economics associated with selecting a collectible, though I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

:hi:

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Oh boy.  I think this is a huge subject.  Specifically on how 'collecting' as a definition, should be separated from 'hoarding', or just owning 'junk'.    I think a collection, first and foremost has to have a focus and be organized so things can be found relatively easily (something some of the boardies may struggle with). 

If you google a bit there's really not much out there.  Freud claimed it started at birth with breast fixation which is ludicrous.  The best way to find an answer is look within and see why you collect-how it makes you feel, what motivates it.  
For me it is to reach the time when I was a kid and comics were magical, and rare.  Getting comics was like a mini christmas.  I related to these characters-they were real to me.  The fact that no other kids I knew read comics made me feel unique.  So for me it is connecting with part of the mind which had a childlike connection to the super real and magical, and people I wanted to know, not the neighborhood dolts I encountered.

i'm taking a break from buying these days but i still have a collectors mentality so to satisfy the collecting urge i have started to save and collect all my one dollar bills , i started when the shut down happened in March and i have about $800 in ones so far , i actually like it when i buy something and it cost $5.33 cause i give them a ten and get four ones back !! then i have to fold all the corners out and flatten them out under books and a barbell, it's actually a fun hobby ! i have gotten a couple "where's George" dollar bills and looked up where they came from (both from cities nearby) every day i rearrange my stack and flatten them out some more ,one would be surprised at how many $1 bills have numbers or writing on them....

i cull my real badly worn, taped or torn bills and spend those....

i'm thinking of sorting them into Federal reserve series (A thru H..)

it's a decent hobby with a lot of the aspects of other collectibles, i think about it just like i did when i was collecting a run of comics, and the best thing is that while my hobby/collection will not increase in value it will hold it's value and has nearly instantly liquidity when it comes time to sell my collection !!!!!!

26 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i'm taking a break from buying these days but i still have a collectors mentality so to satisfy the collecting urge i have started to save and collect all my one dollar bills , i started when the shut down happened in March and i have about $800 in ones so far , i actually like it when i buy something and it cost $5.33 cause i give them a ten and get four ones back !! then i have to fold all the corners out and flatten them out under books and a barbell, it's actually a fun hobby ! i have gotten a couple "where's George" dollar bills and looked up where they came from (both from cities nearby) every day i rearrange my stack and flatten them out some more ,one would be surprised at how many $1 bills have numbers or writing on them....

i cull my real badly worn, taped or torn bills and spend those....

i'm thinking of sorting them into Federal reserve series (A thru H..)

it's a decent hobby with a lot of the aspects of other collectibles, i think about it just like i did when i was collecting a run of comics, and the best thing is that while my hobby/collection will not increase in value it will hold it's value and has nearly instantly liquidity when it comes time to sell my collection !!!!!!

for a while I would get stacks of $2 bills at the bank and use them to buy coffee at local coffeeshop.  I overheard one of the employees say where are all these $2 bills coming from?  I have had people look at them suspiciously and think they are fake.  I have had ppl ask me wow is this worth anything?  "Yes-$2".

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Guys collect.. they've been doing that for eons... whether it be material physical collectable things or intangible like experiences or moments.. we all need a side occupation

1 minute ago, kav said:

for a while I would get stacks of $2 bills at the bank and use them to buy coffee at local coffeeshop.  I overheard one of the employees say where are all these $2 bills coming from?  I have had people look at them suspiciously and think they are fake.  I have had ppl ask me wow is this worth anything?  "Yes-$2".

todays young generation is unlike anything i can remember... i would guess the percentage of time i get my change back wrong from a drive thru purchase is close to 10%

usually i get more back than i am supposed too,,, i see employees on their phone all the time while they are on the clock which is OK if they are not busy , but i have had them busy looking at their phone while my order is sitting ready to be handed to me, a work ethic that is very frustrating

I collect on experiences. Whether things I've heard or seen. That sounds very generic lol

But if I have heard of a hero and it appeals to me I'll check it out. I don't have very much want for golden age characters in that they never were too relevant in my everyday. Except for maybe your batman or supes or wonder woman. Then I'll look to the stories what was relevant at the time or culture appeal. More characters initially strike me as cool more than stories themselves. The DC has been ingrained in my mind, well the super hero stuff. As far as a rare golden age book then maybe I just don't have enough info, which is likely.

Silver age is mainly heroes for me but the bigger ones are marvel that I would consider classic but also always out of range for the wallet and I still probably connected to copper more

I said all that to say that future generations when I look at my own habits will look (probably) at moderns with more fondness

And silver less

Then bronze less

Then copper less

Then moderns or whatever age less.

Of course value is a different animal, I'm just looking at "interests or so called collecting habits" that may depend more on age, experience, or just what you're into like genre.

It's all unique and a perspective way at looking at collecting

57 minutes ago, iggy said:

At our core we are hunter/gatherers.

099D78EB-0001-4721-889F-AEFE9A1B38B0.jpeg

Much more accurate than Freud’s nonsense.

The threat of being starved or deprived of something stimulates us to hunt it down, especially when you’ve been previously conditioned by the dopamine buzz of success in similar circumstances.

Edited by Ken Aldred