• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Scanner for slabs in 2020
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Longtime collector but new to CGC graded books in slabs. I save a scanned cover image of all my books to help keep track of them in a database but need to upgrade to a good scanner that can handle the depth and size of a CGC book. Everything i found on this topic was from 2018 or older and recommendations were for scanners that were already 3-5 years old back then. Most of those scanners have been discontinued since then so i'm hoping somebody can help point me in the right direction for a current scanner that does the trick.

Thanks!!

"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

The old HP scanners work very well on scanning slabs. You want a scanner that is CCD rather than CIS. Most newer scanners are CIS. CCD scanners are able to scan the depth of slabs.

I have a HP 7400C and run Vuescan with it. 

This thread on scanners is relatively current.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:57 PM, Artboy99 said:

"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

The old HP scanners work very well on scanning slabs. You want a scanner that is CCD rather than CIS. Most newer scanners are CIS. CCD scanners are able to scan the depth of slabs.

I have a HP 7400C and run Vuescan with it. 

This thread on scanners is relatively current.

Thanks Artboy, I've been trying to hunt down a used scanner in good condition which is hard.  Heck, trying to get a HP 8300 off ebay shipped to Alaska is MURDER.  

1 hour ago, EmoJackson said:

Thanks Artboy, I've been trying to hunt down a used scanner in good condition which is hard.  Heck, trying to get a HP 8300 off ebay shipped to Alaska is MURDER.  

I bought my HP 7400C at a local pawnshop for $10.00

Yeah I can understand the frustration but keep searching.