• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this spot on my Venom #25 cover

11 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2020 at 9:02 PM, kaejol said:

This is not part of the cover, I got this on eBay because I was late to the party. What is it, and what caused it, so I can be more careful in the future.

venom 25.PNG

First, look at it from the inside of the cover and see if something is causing it there.  Second, look at other copies of that book. See if they all have that mottled coloration (it looks like foxing to me, but that is a modern, so it may be the pattern on the paper.) At that time you can also see if the mark is on the other books as well. It could be part of the vision of the artist, to have the paper look old, weathered damaged, etc.

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

First, look at it from the inside of the cover and see if something is causing it there.  Second, look at other copies of that book. See if they all have that mottled coloration (it looks like foxing to me, but that is a modern, so it may be the pattern on the paper.) At that time you can also see if the mark is on the other books as well. It could be part of the vision of the artist, to have the paper look old, weathered damaged, etc.

I checked other books, and that's not there, it's like a slight bump, super tiny, and there's no damage on the inside as far as I can tell. Btw that is picture from the eBay ad, I was just too lazy to get it out and take a picture.

4 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I have a copy of the book and can confirm mine does not have the saliva/grease stain on it.

It looks like a stain but the book also looks to be foxing (mildew) in several places. 

Edited - after reviewing some copies it looks to be foxing by design but I think I'm also seeing slight staining incl red color transfer 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er
Post edited by Wertham

13 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Does it have that foxing effect?

Yes, there is intentional coloration that looks like foxing as seen in this Marvel promotional image.

(source: https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/77178/venom_2018_25)

(direct link to hi-res image: https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/9/80/5e8653cc71ba6/clean.jpg)

clean.jpg