• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Mold Removal = SCIENCE!
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Interesting to see...skip to the 7:34 mark to see the process and eventual results. Not sure whether this ups the value of such a book but just seeing the experiment on how much could be done is interesting to me. Would be neat to see if a more savable specimen could go from having a spot of black mold to being almost undetectable (and safe to now store with comics without the mold spreading)

Interesting but pretty time consuming technique for such a badly damaged book. I can see where it would be a great improvement on a lesser affected cover but there’s “more than one way to skin a cat” as effectively and in less time. I do like that he also does it for the fun of experimenting too. I can relate

Black mold is nothing to play with. 

Ridiculous to try to salvage a book like that. I wouldn't even consider a book with any sort of mold. 

A follow up in a few months would definitely be nice to see, to know if mold colonies were for sure dead.

I agree that trying to "salvage" this copy for any real value is not worth it BUT suppose you had a great Golden Age book with just a small mold spot, maybe the size of a penny. If there was a process that could make it barely visible and knowingly kill the mold colony so it could not spread or damage the book further (or others it may be stored with), would that not be worthwhile?

21 hours ago, joeypost said:

Especially without wearing a mask.

Absolutely. 

One of the seals around a vent in my roof was surreptitiously leaking water into the house for many months before I caught the issue. Eventually, it soaked my sheetrock and the ceiling plaster. Black mold developed. 

I had to pay several thousand bucks to have it professionally removed. They wore hazmat suits and used giant fans to create a vacuum as they worked. 

It can kill you. It's no joke. 

I don't even like water damaged books, let alone black mold. SMH 

Why anyone would work on a book like that is beyond me. I can see an exception to the rule if the book was one of a kind and historically important. But how many of THOSE type of books are floating around. 

Yep. Pretty much none. 

11 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

.....BUT suppose you had a great Golden Age book with just a small mold spot, maybe the size of a penny. If there was a process that could make it barely visible and knowingly kill the mold colony so it could not spread or damage the book further (or others it may be stored with), would that not be worthwhile?

In theory. 

The problem is this...it would be an extremely rare occurrence for a book to develop mold in the way you describe it. It just doesn't work that way. 

On 7/3/2023 at 2:31 AM, YvonneClark said:

Thanks for sharing the video on black mold removal. It's always fascinating to see the science behind it and how effective the process can be. I've had my own share of mold issues, so I can relate.

I question everything that spews from that video creator who specializes in selling restoration supplies. 

The time and energy going into restoring a book like that is significant.  Unless that book has extreme sentimental value, it's almost better to use your time working to earn enough money so you can just buy a better copy of the book.