• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GSX1 Fading grade?

13 posts in this topic

You have to take the overall condition into consideration, by the pic your book does not appear to be extremely faded but I would need to see it compared/next to another non-faded copy, however, just going by cover color/reflectivity...

From the HA Grading Standards

VF/NM 9.0 - Inks are bright with slightly diminished reflectivity. 

VF 8.0 - Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. 

FN/VF 7.0 -  Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity.

FN 6.0 -  Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity

VG/FN 5.0 - Inks have moderate to low reflectivity.

VG 4.0 - Cover reflectivity is low.

GD/VG 3.0 - Cover reflectivity is very low

I have an X-Men 106 with extreme cover fading (much worse than yours) that I would have normally graded a VF 8.0, however, for my records I gave the book a GD 2.0 with a notation about the cover fading, how does CGC look at cover fading?

Really a shame that so many copies of this issue in particular, along with X-Men 94, went up on the walls of comic shops -- subjecting the covers to UV light from tubes and/or sunlight.  Those shop owners needed to price lower.  If the books sold, they wouldn't have been on display so long...!  :)  

It really is a judgement call, but I have seen a bit of variability in books with faded covers. And the overall condition of the rest of the book always comes into play in a situation like this. With moderate cover fading, it could drop the grade significantly. I've seen nice books tumble into the Fine or even the VG range with cover fading being the primary flaw. 

To explain it a more in-depth way (and this is the abbreviated version, I kid you not) many times the grade on a book with cover fading will end up being what I would call a typical CGC grade. For example, a VF book with minor fading may get a 7.0 from CGC (typical), a VF book with moderate fading may get a 5.5 (typical) and a VF book with severe fading may get a 3.5 (also typical). Of course, this theory isn't absolute, but I often use it as a guideline (typical). 

Now you only need to determine how nice the book would be without the fading and how severe you think the fading is. I hope this helps, and if you have it slabbed please post the results. 

4 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Really a shame that so many copies of this issue in particular, along with X-Men 94, went up on the walls of comic shops -- subjecting the covers to UV light from tubes and/or sunlight.  Those shop owners needed to price lower.  If the books sold, they wouldn't have been on display so long...!  :)  

In the 1980s, when back issues were pretty limited , many shops hung these not to sell but to display.  I remember when the FF Trilogy walked into my shop. I hadn't seen a 48 or 50 in quite some time so I priced them well above guide because I wanted people to admire them, and talk about them with other fans.  When I first opened, back issue sales brought in more customers, brought in more revenue and had much higher margins than new books.

Attached is a copy of my faded Hulk 1.  

I don't think the fading hurt the grade that much. It had a sticker pull, and. some creasing on the BC. Its possible it could have seen 5.0 on a great day, but I was hoping for VG which is right where it landed. 

Your GSX1 is in the same ball park fading wise, so I suspect it will reduce it anywhere from a half point to 1.5 points. 

image0.jpeg

50 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Attached is a copy of my faded Hulk 1.  

I don't think the fading hurt the grade that much. It had a sticker pull, and. some creasing on the BC. Its possible it could have seen 5.0 on a great day, but I was hoping for VG which is right where it landed. 

Your GSX1 is in the same ball park fading wise, so I suspect it will reduce it anywhere from a half point to 1.5 points. 

image0.jpeg

Still a treasure worth owning in any grade 👍

On 10/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, Frankielo said:

I would concur with the number being 1 to 1.5 off.take a look at my ASM #7 that when I compare with my 5.0 early silver ages with similar flaws- multiple color break spine creases blunt corners etc. fade brings it to 3.5BD52C182-17C6-4378-BEBC-AACC95914BD9.thumb.jpeg.6ad0a3d7d1f408d484ab85af72ce67c4.jpeg

Typical...  

On 10/26/2020 at 9:05 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't work for CGC, so I cannot be sure.

Even if you did work for them, there's always a certain amount of uncertainty when it comes to books with faded covers. You're an excellent grader, but even the best of graders can get flummoxed by books like this (myself included). That's why faded covers will often receive grades that are a bit more difficult to quantify. 

The books shown above are a perfect example... 

In the VG range, the slight amount of cover fading on the Hulk #1 likely didn't affect the grade much at all. So to me, 4.0 is a good solid grade for that book because it fits neatly into the parameters of a VG. On the other hand, the ASM #7 doesn't fit into those same parameters quite as neatly, does it? The cover fading is pretty severe even though the book itself would probably have graded higher than the Hulk #1 if not for the fading. But 4.0 seems to be too generous, so the grade is reduced to an area that's a little tougher to argue with, such as 3.5. 

Grades like 7.0, 5.5 and 3.5 are often used by CGC to describe books that are a little tougher to pinpoint...

On 10/23/2020 at 10:16 AM, marvelmaniac said:

You have to take the overall condition into consideration, by the pic your book does not appear to be extremely faded but I would need to see it compared/next to another non-faded copy, however, just going by cover color/reflectivity...

From the HA Grading Standards

VF/NM 9.0 - Inks are bright with slightly diminished reflectivity. 

VF 8.0 - Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. 

FN/VF 7.0 -  Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity.

FN 6.0 -  Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity

VG/FN 5.0 - Inks have moderate to low reflectivity.

VG 4.0 - Cover reflectivity is low.

GD/VG 3.0 - Cover reflectivity is very low

I have an X-Men 106 with extreme cover fading (much worse than yours) that I would have normally graded a VF 8.0, however, for my records I gave the book a GD 2.0 with a notation about the cover fading, how does CGC look at cover fading?

It depends on the severity of the fading and what the book would grade without any fading...