• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McFarlane ASM 299 Cover comes to auction

55 posts in this topic

Well it spent a good part of last year hanging on the wall of a Las vegas Comic Shop. The show me the money ask was a cool $200,000. Was there any doubt this one would come up for public auction? Ok you mugs here's a few things to toss around.

A) Is Comic-Link the right venue to offer this piece? Why or why not?

B) Hazzard a guess as to the final hammer price

C) Artistically and or historically what are your thoughts on this cover ( As a stand alone, in comparison to other McFarlane Spidey like ASM 300, 328 or Spider-Man 1) and in relation to other big pieces that have come to market.

Prop Wager Odds:

The cover sells for $200k      Over: -250  Under: + 350

The cover is described by any board member with Meh... or any other related derivative.  - 800

A board member finds a way to tie the Phantom Stranger into this thread.    Even Money

RADAFC6520201021_14212.jpg

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Well it spent a good part of last year hanging on the wall of a Las vegas Comic Shop. The show me the money ask was a cool $200,000. Was there any doubt this one would come up for public auction? Ok you mugs here's a few things to toss around.

C) Artistically and or historically what are your thoughts on this cover ( As a stand alone, in comparison to other McFarlane Spidey like ASM 300, 328 or Spider-Man 1) and in relation to other big pieces that have come to market.

Prop Wager Odds:

The cover is described by any board member with Meh... or any other related derivative.  - 800

A board member finds a way to tie the Phantom Stranger into this thread.    Even Money

lol

I like the prop bets.

Gene bought this for what, about 67 and sold around 125 if I remember the public data points (?).   Feels like 125-175 to me.

23 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I struggle with a guess. A Mc-panel pages goes for crazy money so I could definitely see over $100k. $200k seems high but we do live in crazy times. 

I don't see it as 200+ either.   We'll see.   I'm betting 125-150

Yeah I’m not speaking for the owner but I am speculating. Is this a no cost thrill ride to show off a cool piece? Has the last six months placed a strain on available cash flow? Who knows.

Gene has revealed in another post what he sold it for. We know what other McSpidey covers have sold for. Though not exactly fresh to us here on CGC it could potentially find that one guy that didn’t get an opportunity and has the means. Of course to really dazzle and surprise it’s going to take at least 2 motivated buyers.

I personally really like this cover. My guess is this one will find a buyer in spite of a reserve. I don’t want to lay -250 though so I need some of you guys to dump your kids college money on the under😆

When it comes to Comiclink being the best venue for this I've always felt they were known for being the place that handles more modern stuff from the bronze and copper ages so it makes sense for them to be handling this 90s piece. The piece itself is also well-known so when it comes to something like this I don't think buyers will be unaware about it because it didn't appear on Heritage. 

I also think this piece was owned by a board member so it might be the first of many pieces from that collection getting released which will be interesting to see. If only they listed it in the for sale section on here first though to see if any of us were interested.  ;(

27 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

If only they listed it in the for sale section on here first though to see if any of us were interested.

Yeah, so that some of the same people in this thread predicting $200k+ would have an opportunity make lowball offers of $20k. :eyeroll:

15 hours ago, grapeape said:

Prop Wager Odds:

A) - I do think ComicLink is a good venue for modern art, where Heritage does well for Silver Age and older art.  The ComicLink format of a timed ending (like eBay) allowing for sniping compared to Heritage's "going, going... not yet gone" style of allowing everyone an opportunity to bid and buy is always compared.  I do think that ComicLink's format can actually be advantageous to certain pieces, forcing bidding warriors to get overzelous towards the end, fearing sniping and throwing big fat gaudy overinflated bids to ensure a win, and it just takes two combatants to cause a sudden surge.  Where with Heritage, it's just an incremental notch above each other 'til someone taps out.  I've been known to throw an $8k bid down on a piece ending around $2k that ends at $3k for me on ComicLink because I was willing to pay $8k or didn't want to lose the auction.

B) - Mainly because you'd mentioned it was known to be for sale at a store in Las Vegas for $200k and was recently readily available, so isn't fresh to market, and it sound like $200k was too high and there were no takers (I'm sure plenty of lower offers 'tho) tells me, logically it shouldn't sell for $200k or more.  In fact, feeling there were offers made that were declined, I'd venture to guess it's probably going to go for $150k (in ComicLink currency, not like Heritage where a bid of $150k ends up a $180k bill after their buyer's premium).  I think the seller should have rested the piece, retired it from circulation / availability for at least a year, then bring it out for a better freshness to market.

C) - I think it's a good cover artistically. Subject matter-wise, it's not the best, with no great villains, but does have the black costume (pre-venom too!) and the McF' webbing.  The fact that it's got the last page with Venom as a true 1st appearance makes #299 a key issue.

I wonder what would sell for more, this cover or the last page featuring the 1st appearance of Venom... I feel it would be the interior page by leaps and bounds, and may even challenge that the last pg of #299 could/should be worth more than the cover of #300 (basically because that cover has non OA elements to it and is rather simple, yes iconic, but less original art substance, and #299 end pg is the 1st rendered appearance.  

22 hours ago, grapeape said:

Prop Wager Odds:

RADAFC6520201021_14212.jpg

Doesn’t Gene own this? He must be going for ASM 129.