• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McFarlane ASM 299 Cover comes to auction

55 posts in this topic

For those who say that Clink is the best place to sell this cover, I say no.

all you need to do is look at the Heritage Archives to find the top 5 highest prices paid for a McSpidey cover at auction.  All are higher than the best McFarlane result on Clink 

regarding the reserve price:  if seller was asking $200K for it at his store, I don’t think he will be asking any less for it at auction.  So, in order to get his $200K for it, the reserve price would have to be set at $222K just for the consignors to break even.

if the buyer got it for $222K, don’t forget to add an average state tax if 7% to the invoice. Thus, we’re looking at a minimum purchase price of $237.5K + shipping.

If my assumptions hold true, I don’t think this cover will sell because the reserve will be set too high!

Edited by jjonahjameson11

1 minute ago, Blastaar said:

$225k

its a recognizable cover, most people can tell you the issue number  

I thought McFarlane owned this? I remember seeing a video of him realizing he had it. I’ll ferret it out  

Was sold on Clink maybe 4 or 5 years ago to Gene for around $67K.  It sold last summer  (?) to the owner of Torpedo Comics for an undisclosed amount (rumours just south of $200K).  Now it’s back on Clink with a reserve.

Gene is on the boards and can clarify, if he wants.

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

if the buyer got it for $222K, don’t forget to add an average state tax if 7% to the invoice. Thus, we’re looking at a minimum purchase price of $237.5K + shipping.

Or...is there a Josh floor (aka "guarantee") on it like there was on Court's ASM #238 was @ $100k? IIRC there weren't any real bidders over $90k? Or was it even lower before it "jumped"?

If there is a guarantee, then some of the math changes for the "buyer" changes.

If this is organically a $165k cover (let's say), is the listing advert value now and future "worth" $35k spend to Josh/CLink...could be?

Another scenario could be - reduced or zero SP in exchange for scoring the marketing value of the consignment, and/or other back-end incentives...?

Just tossing it out there, certainly there are at least two individuals that could definitively confirm or deny... ;)

One thing I can assure you: with a quality single lot consignment on the table, only a total fool wouldn't at least try to sweeten the spot in their favor against The Boilerplate Arrangement...you know the same one that's being applied to all those Nick Pitarra Manhattan Projects pages that keep failing to hit $100 even :)

46 minutes ago, vodou said:

Or...is there a Josh floor (aka "guarantee") on it like there was on Court's ASM #238 was @ $100k? IIRC there weren't any real bidders over $90k? Or was it even lower before it "jumped"?

If there is a guarantee, then some of the math changes for the "buyer" changes.

If this is organically a $165k cover (let's say), is the listing advert value now and future "worth" $35k spend to Josh/CLink...could be?

Another scenario could be - reduced or zero SP in exchange for scoring the marketing value of the consignment, and/or other back-end incentives...?

Just tossing it out there, certainly there are at least two individuals that could definitively confirm or deny... ;)

One thing I can assure you: with a quality single lot consignment on the table, only a total fool wouldn't at least try to sweeten the spot in their favor against The Boilerplate Arrangement...you know the same one that's being applied to all those Nick Pitarra Manhattan Projects pages that keep failing to hit $100 even :)

At the time, Josh posted here and indicated the ASM 238 guarantee was a one-time thing.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

At the time, Josh posted here and indicated the ASM 238 guarantee was a one-time thing.

That's nice. There's always the nuance of exact words and all the space that remains between them. Somebody want to pull the actual quote and re-post it here?

Do we have it in writing somewhere that, unlike most people, Josh will never change his mind in the future?

Anyway, I mean...if HA was slowly but surely devouring my business...I'd certainly want the extra maneuvering room that future creative marketing plans allows for, particularly those plans that are already common in the competitive auction world :)

30 minutes ago, vodou said:

That's nice. There's always the nuance of exact words and all the space that remains between them. Somebody want to pull the actual quote and re-post it here?

Do we have it in writing somewhere that, unlike most people, Josh will never change his mind in the future?

Anyway, I mean...if HA was slowly but surely devouring my business...I'd certainly want the extra maneuvering room that future creative marketing plans allows for, particularly those plans that are already common in the competitive auction world :)

If you require specific confirmation, why not contact Josh directly?

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

You’re the one seeking confirmation from Josh so feel free to do your own research 

Nonsense. You're the one carrying water for Josh. (Why? I hope he's paying you :) ) Maybe just go back to promoting Spencer updates er, never mind lol

30 minutes ago, vodou said:

Nonsense. You're the one carrying water for Josh. (Why? I hope he's paying you :) ) Maybe just go back to promoting Spencer updates er, never mind lol

Your exact words.  Clearly, you are the one who wishes to scrutinize Josh’s intentions.

Do we have it in writing somewhere that, unlike most people, Josh will never change his mind in the future?

Furthermore, I find you to be incredibly negative and exhasperating to deal with.

do not respond to any more of my posts.  Ok done with you.

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Traded this one in late 2018 as part of a deal to get something bigger/better (undisclosed). Numbers were never discussed (it was all "if I put this piece in and take this piece out, will that get a deal done?"), but, I would have valued this part of the trade component at $150K.  In my mind, I thought this cover *should* be $175K, and Albert validated my gut instinct when he reportedly sold it for around $200K 8-9 months later, but, it needed to be auctioned or gone through a big dealer's hands like his to get the latter price.  

So someone paid $200k for it in mid/late 2019 and now is putting it up for auction?

Yeah, I imagine they won't want it to go for less than $200k, unless they're a motivated seller.