• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What To Make Of This?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Saw this online for sale

s-l1600.jpg

I am not sure what this is implying. Is it a true double cover? I was under the impression a double cover was always blue? Is this one that someone just replaced the staples on? If so, why the mention of marrying covers?

looks like a fake double cover which is weird Idk how cgc would allow that 

7 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

looks like a fake double cover which is weird Idk how cgc would allow that 

Right? I am curious if that is the case. Maybe that is what the green label is for but still I would not have put double cover on the label at all to give the person the chance to sell as such (if it is a fake)

6 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Maybe they gave the owner the option of a purple label for the staple replacement or green for marrying the 2nd cover so they chose the lesser of the reselling evils

I messaged the seller. He said he bought it as a double cover, had it slabbed and it came back as what you see. To me, sounds like someone screwed him over by making their own double cover.

Edited by comicginger1789

The why confuses me though. Presumably the person who did this had two solid copies, an 8.0 and a 9.0. Unless both had interior flaws that hurt, like missing page or cut coupon. I suppose that could be the case and they decided to make a double cover out of them. 

9 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

The why confuses me though. Presumably the person who did this had two solid copies, an 8.0 and a 9.0. Unless both had interior flaws that hurt, like missing page or cut coupon. I suppose that could be the case and they decided to make a double cover out of them. 

Greed most likely. A high grade double cover is a rarity that fetches quite the premium over a regular copy. Using the right key words in the description is a good way to lure potential buyers to get their hands on it

On 10/22/2020 at 1:26 PM, comicginger1789 said:
On 10/22/2020 at 1:20 PM, B2D327 said:

Maybe they gave the owner the option of a purple label for the staple replacement or green for marrying the 2nd cover so they chose the lesser of the reselling evils

I messaged the seller. He said he bought it as a double cover, had it slabbed and it came back as what you see. To me, sounds like someone screwed him over by making their own double cover.

If I remember correctly, the seller is that scam artist that is selling "The Hillside Collection" on eBay.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

If I remember correctly, the seller is that scam artist that is selling "The Hillside Collection" on eBay.

That's a slippery slope........... The Hillside?

on another note anyone in the market for a triple cover copy i just whipped up?

9 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

is that real? lol 

Yup

The tale of this book was woven back in 2017 or so. Guy bought it for $100, had it graded and sold for over $8000 if memory serves. There were a couple topics on here at the time. 

To my knowledge, ASM #361 has an 8 cover and a 12 cover copy floating around that CGC has graded.