• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Would You Do? Ebay Scenario
3 3

46 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Scenario: You put a bid in on some comics and win. After you win, you realize that the seller has put their own flat rate for shipping (and it is extremely high for one comic, $35).

Do you

a) mark it as your error because it really is

b) say something and try to work to find a more reasonable price with the seller

c) pay but then complain with negative feedback about this

I am curious what others would do. Or perhaps you have an alternative solution :)

The majority opinions so far are --

B then A

Only A

I would personally go for "B then A". I believe most people are reasonable if you politely ask. That happened in this case too.

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

This is exactly why you have to pin the shipping down to a number, or at least a method (by weight or $ per added unit) when asking to be combined.  If you can't get a number, it's a bad sign.  You have found an unprofessional seller, or someone intentionally evasive, bad news in either case.  After exposing this situation, if you continue the process of buying from that seller, it is at your own peril.

Selling on eBay is not hard, but for some reason a lot of people can't do it right, or won't do it right.  Reminds me of the expression "urge to kill".

Believe me, before that, it would never even occur to me that someone would do that.   Now I ask, “how.” 

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Are there exceptions when not to pay?

Yes.  When you look and see the $3 comic you bought has $80 shipping.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Sure... I had messaged a seller once about shipping and if they combined shipping.  They said that they do.  I won three lots of legos at auctions.  Their definition of combining shipping was to put all of them into the same box and charge me 3x the rate of shipping.  That's not combined shipping.  We went back and forth and ultimately I took 3 unpaid item strikes and called eBay to sort it out.  I think something happened.   There was no way I was paying that person 3x the rate of shipping (which was expensive) after they told me that they combine shipping.   I watched the items resell for much less too when they listed them again. 

Thought he could pull a fast one.  Nope.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Scenario: You put a bid in on some comics and win. After you win, you realize that the seller has put their own flat rate for shipping (and it is extremely high for one comic, $35).

Do you

a) mark it as your error because it really is

b) say something and try to work to find a more reasonable price with the seller

c) pay but then complain with negative feedback about this

I am curious what others would do. Or perhaps you have an alternative solution :)

C is not an option.