• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Would You Do? Ebay Scenario
3 3

46 posts in this topic

Scenario: You put a bid in on some comics and win. After you win, you realize that the seller has put their own flat rate for shipping (and it is extremely high for one comic, $35).

Do you

a) mark it as your error because it really is

b) say something and try to work to find a more reasonable price with the seller

c) pay but then complain with negative feedback about this

I am curious what others would do. Or perhaps you have an alternative solution :)

56 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Scenario: You put a bid in on some comics and win. After you win, you realize that the seller has put their own flat rate for shipping (and it is extremely high for one comic, $35).

Do you

a) mark it as your error because it really is

b) say something and try to work to find a more reasonable price with the seller

c) pay but then complain with negative feedback about this

I am curious what others would do. Or perhaps you have an alternative solution :)

Which service has been indicated by the seller? This is important, because ebay takes a dim view of sellers profiteering on postage. Also, is the item a slabbed or raw. And lastly, are you both located in the continental US?

Edited by James J Johnson

6 minutes ago, bobotski said:

B then A. I still believe in the power of reasonable negotiation and communication.

(thumbsu

I think B then A. 

Ask what type of shipping you get for $35. If the provided service doesn't match the cost, ask. If they Say "I send it 2-3 day priority" and they live in the same state as you ask to adjust it to the rate based on where you live. If they say they ship priority mail, flat rate, then ask what you get for the extra? 

It's a balancing act because you are relying on him to do a good job shipping, and if you complain to much on the front end you may get a slab thrown in a box with a bit of crumpled up newspaper... 

If he's a jerk about it then default back to A, but then mention in the feedback (still give him the number of stars based on meeting the terms of the deal) that the shipping wasnt worth the cost. 

So we are both in Canada.

The book in question is raw, bought for $5. Prior to bidding I asked if he shipped to Canada and if so what postage would be. Response was “hey I live in Canada so that’s not a problem”. So I bid.

After winning, it’s $35 to ship. For shipping I was expecting $10-15 at most with tracking. I politely said asked if there was a way we could work together on shipping and he says “I use a flat rate. Sometimes I wil sometimes I lose. It’s always $35”. But then he agrees to lower to $20.

Which ok, and technically he did post a flat rate but I can’t help but feel it is definitely gonna arrive cheaply shipped with no tracking and he will be profiting off it as I’m sure he does from others. 

Is this something I should leave feedback on? Or just take my books when they arrive and not return to buy in the future without much fuss because again technically was my error.

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

The book in question is raw, bought for $5. Prior to bidding I asked if he shipped to Canada and if so what postage would be. Response was “hey I live in Canada so that’s not a problem”. So I bid.

After winning, it’s $35 to ship. For shipping I was expecting $10-15 at most with tracking. I politely said asked if there was a way we could work together on shipping and he says “I use a flat rate. Sometimes I wil sometimes I lose. It’s always $35”. But then he agrees to lower to $20.

Which ok, and technically he did post a flat rate but I can’t help but feel it is definitely gonna arrive cheaply shipped with no tracking and he will be profiting off it as I’m sure he does from others. 

Is this something I should leave feedback on? Or just take my books when they arrive and not return to buy in the future without much fuss because again technically was my error.

Well, $20 isn't a bad price to ship a comic properly these days.  A small flat rate box (good for shipping comics) here in Canada is actually $17.99 plus taxes, so that's a proper rate.

2 minutes ago, davidpg said:

Well, $20 isn't a bad price to ship a comic properly these days.  A small flat rate box (good for shipping comics) here in Canada is actually $17.99 plus taxes, so that's a proper rate.

Yup.  $20 is fair 

Shipping costs are absolutely bananas these days .

I do a flat rate of $20 US when I post a selling thread here, and offer a refund for the difference if the actual shipping cost is less.

It’s never been less.

11 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Pay the $25 & wait until it arrives.   No sense discussing feedback before then. (shrug)

10 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah, this is what got you in trouble.  No numeric answer was given.  It's similar to when I ask about combining shipping.  I always write, "Do you combine shipping, and if so, how is that calculated?"  Or "....how much would it be for x number of books?"

It's amazing how evasive people can be, and maybe not even intentionally.  It's really hard to get someone to give you a straight answer on anything these days.  Or give you the answer you need, the one on which you will base your decision.  Sometimes it's just not worth it....to either of you.

43 minutes ago, davidpg said:

I know I am fine with that if it comes in box. I’m used to that. It was the $35 that seemed high that’s all. 

If it arrives in box tracked I will be happy because the seller worked with me and that’s great. If it arrives in an envelope with no tracking well...I’ll likely just not return to buy is all.

i was more so curious if people report people who appear to overcharge on shipping to try and make money. Or if as long as it’s posted it just is what it is. Pay it or don’t bid.

Something like this happened to me many years ago.  I bid and won a comic on ebay only to realize the shipping was like $17 for one comic shipped domestically.  I just paid it and didn't say anything because the shipping
price was clearly stated in the listing.  I was just blind that time...It's never happened again.

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Sometimes I wil sometimes I lose. It’s always $35”. 

BS. He never loses. I really hate sellers that use shipping to make money. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have noticed, but I still hate it. 

3 hours ago, kav said:

At what point do you say naw I know i flubbed but I aint payin that tho?  If shipping is $50?  $100?  $1000?

:bump: