Just found the very 1st comic I ever owned
0

29 posts in this topic

:cloud9: That Is Great!!!

Unfortunately when we moved in 69 I had to leave all of my books behind :(, (To a friend named Brian, if you are out there...)

It has taken me 30 years to get them back, so congrats on finding your original book(s) and enjoy the book and the memories that come with it. 

BTW, I have many "Well Loved" books with the same "restoration" as yours, Lovin It!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice!!!  Beautiful book after all these years. (thumbsu

My first comic was Devil Dinosaur #1, which survived and graded an 8.5.  I would have had earlier books, but my younger siblings found those when I wasn’t looking and they went the way of the Dodo.
 

Again, congrats!!! :golfclap:

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

:cloud9: That Is Great!!!

Unfortunately when we moved in 69 I had to leave all of my books behind :(, (To a friend named Brian, if you are out there...)

It has taken me 30 years to get them back, so congrats on finding your original book(s) and enjoy the book and the memories that come with it. 

BTW, I have many "Well Loved" books with the same "restoration" as yours, Lovin It!!! 

When my family moved from Indiana to Wyoming in 1976 my dad said “it’s the comics or the models”.  I picked the comics.  Had to leave behind my near complete Aurora monster model kits (built of course with really crappy paint jobs).  Only missing the Witch and King Kong.  It is painful to think back on the things that got lost.  Glad you replaced your books!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Very nice!!!  Beautiful book after all these years. (thumbsu

My first comic was Devil Dinosaur #1, which survived and graded an 8.5.  I would have had earlier books, but my younger siblings found those when I wasn’t looking and they went the way of the Dodo.
 

Again, congrats!!! :golfclap:

I remember buying Devil Dinosaur off the newsstand as a young teen.  I loved the book and the story.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

I remember buying Devil Dinosaur off the newsstand as a young teen.  I loved the book and the story.  

Yeah, back when it was a lot more fun to buy them off the rack.  There wasn't a direct sale edition of that issue.  Plus, I was a dinosaur nut when I was a kid.  What kid wasn't??!!  :roflmao:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

When my family moved from Indiana to Wyoming in 1976 my dad said “it’s the comics or the models”.  I picked the comics.  Had to leave behind my near complete Aurora monster model kits (built of course with really crappy paint jobs).  Only missing the Witch and King Kong.  It is painful to think back on the things that got lost.  Glad you replaced your books!

It's funny how many comic collector's out there have a similar story about their early days of moving out West from the Midwest and 'losing' comics.  My family moved from Iowa to Arizona and a bunch of our comics were left in my grandparents' basement.  Some years later, my grandparents swimming pool overflowed from a lot of rainfall and the basement flooded.  They threw the whole box away because the bottom was wet!!! (shrug):ohnoez::makepoint:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

It's funny how many comic collector's out there have a similar story about their early days of moving out West from the Midwest and 'losing' comics.  My family moved from Iowa to Arizona and a bunch of our comics were left in my grandparents' basement.  Some years later, my grandparents swimming pool overflowed from a lot of rainfall and the basement flooded.  They threw the whole box away because the bottom was wet!!! (shrug):ohnoez::makepoint:

That is painful. I have a positive story associated with “comics left behind”. My grandma was a school janitor in Indiana. At the end of the school year teachers would throw out all the stuff they took away from kids during the school year. A lot of comic books were confiscated. She would take all of them home for use. Two books that stick in my mind most was Silver Surfer 4 and Fantastic Four annual 6.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I was given a box of comics from my older brothers friend, Terry Disbrow

First book I pulled out was Daredevil 33.  I did some minor restorations (tape on spine)

daredevil33.jpg

A book like that has to be kept for sentimentality alone!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back i think 1979/1980 i would setup at local shows. I went to Hayward C.A with a buddy and we split a table. I had the spiderman 1 around VG and told him if i dont sell it i will rip the book in half :makepoint: I did not sell it and the rip went 80% thru the book :facepalm: I went home glued each page back just ran my finger thru both sides with glue put some toilet paper in the spine glued :whatthe: Traded the book to a old comic dealer Hal Verb for a near mint Hulk 1 missing half dollar size chunk top left. I got back into comics around 1998 looked at my old phone numbers called Hal and went down there to buy books. I found my old Spiderman 1 and bought it back for 300 still have it today (thumbsu. I also bought Hulk 181 off the newsstand with a lot of other books just to Rip the stamp out for my book i still have:makepoint:. The stamp book is in a Mylar with backing board and this behind it that i bought for 5 bucks when i had to take the bus to see John Barret in Berkeley, California

Random marvel shot.JPG

Marvel value Stamp.jpg

Donal Duck Atom Bomb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Back i think 1979/1980 i would setup at local shows. I went to Hayward C.A with a buddy and we split a table. I had the spiderman 1 around VG and told him if i dont sell it i will rip the book in half :makepoint: I did not sell it and the rip went 80% thru the book :facepalm: I went home glued each page back just ran my finger thru both sides with glue put some toilet paper in the spine glued :whatthe: Traded the book to a old comic dealer Hal Verb for a near mint Hulk 1 missing half dollar size chunk top left. I got back into comics around 1998 looked at my old phone numbers called Hal and went down there to buy books. I found my old Spiderman 1 and bought it back for 300 still have it today (thumbsu. I also bought Hulk 181 off the newsstand with a lot of other books just to Rip the stamp out for my book i still have:makepoint:. The stamp book is in a Mylar with backing board and this behind it that i bought for 5 bucks when i had to take the bus to see John Barret in Berkeley, California

Random marvel shot.JPG

Marvel value Stamp.jpg

Donal Duck Atom Bomb.jpg

What did you have for a price on the ASM #1?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, comicdonna said:

What did you have for a price on the ASM #1?

The guide was 200/400/600 i think so i would have had 300 on it i would think ?. I would have took 200 or even 150 just to pay my expenses and get a big mac on the way home :preach:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the first comic I bought with my own money: Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3. My Dad had bought comics for us when we went on vacation; of course, they were all read within the first 1 - 2 hours. When I would read them a 2nd/3rd time, I realized that I saw things I might have missed by just reading them the first time.

 

AA3.jpg.11f1ee3c644b2326c7936d33ee728f87.jpg

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 11:11 AM, Galen130 said:

It's funny how many comic collector's out there have a similar story about their early days of moving out West from the Midwest and 'losing' comics.  My family moved from Iowa to Arizona and a bunch of our comics were left in my grandparents' basement.  Some years later, my grandparents swimming pool overflowed from a lot of rainfall and the basement flooded.  They threw the whole box away because the bottom was wet!!! (shrug):ohnoez::makepoint:

My dad loves to remind me all the time about him being an Air Force brat living on bases in Europe throughout the 60s and how he had to leave behind years and years worth of Marvel and DC comics when my grandfather finally got reassigned to a U.S. base. He was heavier into Superman and Batman than Marvel stuff, but still had loads of very early Marvel super-hero stuff.  I try to avoid telling him about the small island he could own now if he'd have persuaded his mom to not force him to give his comics away to a neighbor boy. oh well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 10:00 PM, batman_fan said:

I would grade it an eBay  near mint lol

hm

Edited by ninanina
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 11:35 AM, woowoo said:

Back i think 1979/1980 i would setup at local shows. I went to Hayward C.A with a buddy and we split a table. I had the spiderman 1 around VG and told him if i dont sell it i will rip the book in half :makepoint: I did not sell it and the rip went 80% thru the book :facepalm: I went home glued each page back just ran my finger thru both sides with glue put some toilet paper in the spine glued :whatthe: Traded the book to a old comic dealer Hal Verb for a near mint Hulk 1 missing half dollar size chunk top left. I got back into comics around 1998 looked at my old phone numbers called Hal and went down there to buy books. I found my old Spiderman 1 and bought it back for 300 still have it today (thumbsu. I also bought Hulk 181 off the newsstand with a lot of other books just to Rip the stamp out for my book i still have:makepoint:. The stamp book is in a Mylar with backing board and this behind it that i bought for 5 bucks when i had to take the bus to see John Barret in Berkeley, California

Random marvel shot.JPG

Marvel value Stamp.jpg

Donal Duck Atom Bomb.jpg

I remember Hal, bout from him too but can't remember what.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0