• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just found the very 1st comic I ever owned

29 posts in this topic

:cloud9: That Is Great!!!

Unfortunately when we moved in 69 I had to leave all of my books behind :(, (To a friend named Brian, if you are out there...)

It has taken me 30 years to get them back, so congrats on finding your original book(s) and enjoy the book and the memories that come with it. 

BTW, I have many "Well Loved" books with the same "restoration" as yours, Lovin It!!! 

Very nice!!!  Beautiful book after all these years. (thumbsu

My first comic was Devil Dinosaur #1, which survived and graded an 8.5.  I would have had earlier books, but my younger siblings found those when I wasn’t looking and they went the way of the Dodo.

Again, congrats!!! :golfclap:

31 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

:cloud9: That Is Great!!!

Unfortunately when we moved in 69 I had to leave all of my books behind :(, (To a friend named Brian, if you are out there...)

It has taken me 30 years to get them back, so congrats on finding your original book(s) and enjoy the book and the memories that come with it. 

BTW, I have many "Well Loved" books with the same "restoration" as yours, Lovin It!!! 

When my family moved from Indiana to Wyoming in 1976 my dad said “it’s the comics or the models”.  I picked the comics.  Had to leave behind my near complete Aurora monster model kits (built of course with really crappy paint jobs).  Only missing the Witch and King Kong.  It is painful to think back on the things that got lost.  Glad you replaced your books!

16 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Very nice!!!  Beautiful book after all these years. (thumbsu

My first comic was Devil Dinosaur #1, which survived and graded an 8.5.  I would have had earlier books, but my younger siblings found those when I wasn’t looking and they went the way of the Dodo.

Again, congrats!!! :golfclap:

I remember buying Devil Dinosaur off the newsstand as a young teen.  I loved the book and the story.  

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

I remember buying Devil Dinosaur off the newsstand as a young teen.  I loved the book and the story.  

Yeah, back when it was a lot more fun to buy them off the rack.  There wasn't a direct sale edition of that issue.  Plus, I was a dinosaur nut when I was a kid.  What kid wasn't??!!  :roflmao:

6 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

When my family moved from Indiana to Wyoming in 1976 my dad said “it’s the comics or the models”.  I picked the comics.  Had to leave behind my near complete Aurora monster model kits (built of course with really crappy paint jobs).  Only missing the Witch and King Kong.  It is painful to think back on the things that got lost.  Glad you replaced your books!

It's funny how many comic collector's out there have a similar story about their early days of moving out West from the Midwest and 'losing' comics.  My family moved from Iowa to Arizona and a bunch of our comics were left in my grandparents' basement.  Some years later, my grandparents swimming pool overflowed from a lot of rainfall and the basement flooded.  They threw the whole box away because the bottom was wet!!! (shrug):ohnoez::makepoint:

12 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

It's funny how many comic collector's out there have a similar story about their early days of moving out West from the Midwest and 'losing' comics.  My family moved from Iowa to Arizona and a bunch of our comics were left in my grandparents' basement.  Some years later, my grandparents swimming pool overflowed from a lot of rainfall and the basement flooded.  They threw the whole box away because the bottom was wet!!! (shrug):ohnoez::makepoint:

That is painful. I have a positive story associated with “comics left behind”. My grandma was a school janitor in Indiana. At the end of the school year teachers would throw out all the stuff they took away from kids during the school year. A lot of comic books were confiscated. She would take all of them home for use. Two books that stick in my mind most was Silver Surfer 4 and Fantastic Four annual 6.  

Back i think 1979/1980 i would setup at local shows. I went to Hayward C.A with a buddy and we split a table. I had the spiderman 1 around VG and told him if i dont sell it i will rip the book in half :makepoint: I did not sell it and the rip went 80% thru the book :facepalm: I went home glued each page back just ran my finger thru both sides with glue put some toilet paper in the spine glued :whatthe: Traded the book to a old comic dealer Hal Verb for a near mint Hulk 1 missing half dollar size chunk top left. I got back into comics around 1998 looked at my old phone numbers called Hal and went down there to buy books. I found my old Spiderman 1 and bought it back for 300 still have it today (thumbsu. I also bought Hulk 181 off the newsstand with a lot of other books just to Rip the stamp out for my book i still have:makepoint:. The stamp book is in a Mylar with backing board and this behind it that i bought for 5 bucks when i had to take the bus to see John Barret in Berkeley, California

Random marvel shot.JPG

Marvel value Stamp.jpg

Donal Duck Atom Bomb.jpg

3 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Back i think 1979/1980 i would setup at local shows. I went to Hayward C.A with a buddy and we split a table. I had the spiderman 1 around VG and told him if i dont sell it i will rip the book in half :makepoint: I did not sell it and the rip went 80% thru the book :facepalm: I went home glued each page back just ran my finger thru both sides with glue put some toilet paper in the spine glued :whatthe: Traded the book to a old comic dealer Hal Verb for a near mint Hulk 1 missing half dollar size chunk top left. I got back into comics around 1998 looked at my old phone numbers called Hal and went down there to buy books. I found my old Spiderman 1 and bought it back for 300 still have it today (thumbsu. I also bought Hulk 181 off the newsstand with a lot of other books just to Rip the stamp out for my book i still have:makepoint:. The stamp book is in a Mylar with backing board and this behind it that i bought for 5 bucks when i had to take the bus to see John Barret in Berkeley, California

Random marvel shot.JPG

Marvel value Stamp.jpg

Donal Duck Atom Bomb.jpg

What did you have for a price on the ASM #1?

Here's the first comic I bought with my own money: Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3. My Dad had bought comics for us when we went on vacation; of course, they were all read within the first 1 - 2 hours. When I would read them a 2nd/3rd time, I realized that I saw things I might have missed by just reading them the first time.

AA3.jpg.11f1ee3c644b2326c7936d33ee728f87.jpg

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

On 10/23/2020 at 11:11 AM, Galen130 said:

My dad loves to remind me all the time about him being an Air Force brat living on bases in Europe throughout the 60s and how he had to leave behind years and years worth of Marvel and DC comics when my grandfather finally got reassigned to a U.S. base. He was heavier into Superman and Batman than Marvel stuff, but still had loads of very early Marvel super-hero stuff.  I try to avoid telling him about the small island he could own now if he'd have persuaded his mom to not force him to give his comics away to a neighbor boy. oh well.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:35 AM, woowoo said:

Random marvel shot.JPG

Marvel value Stamp.jpg

Donal Duck Atom Bomb.jpg

I remember Hal, bout from him too but can't remember what.