• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little Fun Friday THIS or THAT!

40 posts in this topic

They are both awesome, but I have to go with Sal. If you matched up every page, Layton wins. His style is so consistent and clean, while Sal has great pages, and he has rushed/sketchy pages, imo. However, if you take the best pages from each run, Sal wins hands-down, imo. And I said “imo,” Sallies and anti-Salites, so don’t tp my house. :foryou:

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board

2 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

They are both awesome, but I have to go with Sal. If you matched up every page, Layton wins. His style is so consistent and clean, while Sal has great pages, and he has rushed/sketchy pages, imo. However, if you take the best pages from each run, Sal wins hands-down, imo. And I said “imo,” Sallies and anti-Salites, so don’t tp my house. :foryou:

I don’t consider myself a pro or anti-Sal fan, but I have to say that the face of the Hulk complaining about what Rick Jones might suffer makes it look like a split second after he was kicked in the balls. It should have been anguish or concern. Definitely not right. 

Edited by Rick2you2

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t consider myself a pro or anti-Sal fan, but I have to say that the face of the Hulk complaining about what Rick Jones might suffer makes it look like a split second after he was kicked in the balls. It should have been anguish or concern. Definitely not right. 

I thought we were judging the entirety of their work on those characters. Judging by what was posted, agreed, I’d go Layton. As for the blasted in the nuts face, I’m guessing Sal might have been going with a softer “Banner” expression, considering that storyline, but it’s definitely still off. 

Off topic, but I noticed you are a big Phantom Stranger fan (I put together the clues ;)). Did you see the “Swamp Thing #2 original art by Dan Spiegle Phantom Stranger” page from Water-walkers on eBay? It’s pretty cool.

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board

Re: Byrne vs Perez... it's Byrne. 

I caught the tail end of Byrne's run on X-Men.  Then I went back and bought almost everything before and his Captain America.  And started at almost the beginning of Byrne writing / drawing Fantastic Four.  I'm mainly a DC guy and that was really, really good stuff.  It looked so good and he made it look so easy.  Superman was great.  Not a fan of the black business suit Luthor.  But I understand why and I think it showed a lot of foresight in terms of villains that never seem to stay in jail.

I only have a handful of Perez's Avengers issues (around 200).  I religiously read New Teen Titans and various DC jobs.  To me, those NTT covers above, NTT 10 and NTT 13 are among the Top 5 of that title.  However, I think Perez seemed to work TOO hard and was very self-aware when it came to putting in too much detail.  These days, I guess it would be called "fan service".  Crisis on Infinite Earths??  It's a good thing the inkers, particularly Jerry Ordway, didn't go crazy inking that series.  Also, I'm not a fan of his really complicated looking costumes (e.g. Nightwing, Cyborg, Starfire, even the "gypsy" Scarlet Witch), maybe even more excess than Kirby (in a bad way). 

1 hour ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I thought we were judging the entirety of their work on those characters. Judging by what was posted, agreed, I’d go Layton. As for the blasted in the nuts face, I’m guessing Sal might have been going with a softer “Banner” expression, considering that storyline, but it’s definitely still off. 

Off topic, but I noticed you are a big Phantom Stranger fan (I put together the clues ;)). Did you see the “Swamp Thing #2 original art by Dan Spiegle Phantom Stranger” page from Water-walkers on eBay? It’s pretty cool.

I had been basing my comments purely on what was posted since I can only react to what is before me unless I really know an artist's work very well. By was of example, I am not overly impressed with Ross Andru's work, but that is mostly because his pages from an issue of Brave and the Bold with PS and Batman keep showing up for sale (mostly, so-so quality). While I have occasionally seen very good work of his in other books, I don't see enough of it to think a lot better of him. 

As to Dan's work on the Phantom Stranger, I appreciate the tip but I have seen it before (all leads appreciated, particularly if not yet on Comic Art Tracker which I use regularly). I also have several of Dan's pieces in my collection which, at least so far, have filled up my need for more. Here's one of them:

1spieglesplash.thumb.jpg.fb00e516d91656a0a23d5b006c74331e.jpg

24 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I had been basing my comments purely on what was posted since I can only react to what is before me unless I really know an artist's work very well. By was of example, I am not overly impressed with Ross Andru's work, but that is mostly because his pages from an issue of Brave and the Bold with PS and Batman keep showing up for sale (mostly, so-so quality). While I have occasionally seen very good work of his in other books, I don't see enough of it to think a lot better of him. 

As to Dan's work on the Phantom Stranger, I appreciate the tip but I have seen it before (all leads appreciated, particularly if not yet on Comic Art Tracker which I use regularly). I also have several of Dan's pieces in my collection which, at least so far, have filled up my need for more. Here's one of them:

1spieglesplash.thumb.jpg.fb00e516d91656a0a23d5b006c74331e.jpg

Very cool splash! No problem, just saw it and remembered your avatar. It’s a cool focus. 

Got it, and understood. That’s a good way to not get ahead of your skis. And very good point on availability coloring ones opinion of an artist. I’d never really thought of it that way before, but it makes a lot of sense. I’m a jack of all trades collector, and only semi newly into my OA focus, so I’m still picking up the nuance. 

1 hour ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Very cool splash! No problem, just saw it and remembered your avatar. It’s a cool focus. 

Got it, and understood. That’s a good way to not get ahead of your skis. And very good point on availability coloring ones opinion of an artist. I’d never really thought of it that way before, but it makes a lot of sense. I’m a jack of all trades collector, and only semi newly into my OA focus, so I’m still picking up the nuance. 

Just be warned that while the people here are a lot of fun, and smart, it is a dangerous hobby. Apart from the rampant fakery on eBay, it gets very easy to spend too much on too little, both per piece and overall. My little niche gives me some protection there. Unlike many people, I don’t advise general, unfocused collecting unless you know what you are doing, or will accept the eventuality of shrinking your collection a lot later, and perhaps losing money in the process (or getting stuck with “what was I thinking” stuff).

Edited by Rick2you2

6 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Just be warned that while the people here are a lot of fun, and smart, it is a dangerous hobby. Apart from the rampant fakery on eBay, it gets very easy to spend too much on too little, both per piece and overall. My little niche gives me some protection there. Unlike many people, I don’t advise general, unfocused collecting unless you know what you are doing, or will accept the eventuality of shrinking your collection a lot later, and perhaps losing money in the process (or getting stuck with “what was I thinking” stuff).

Great advice all around. Thank you. I do keep mine more narrowly tailored to specific want lists (my wife “helps” a lot with that. Heh). I’ve been a collector for a long time, so I carried over a little discipline to this new path. I mostly sell to buy, so I make sure I love the new piece before I sell the beloved old collectible. Regrets suck.

And I’ve been paying attention in the fakes thread. I was able to spot that recent Kirby fake after reading what you all were laying out. 👍🏼

Sorry for the thread hijack, all.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I also have several of Dan's pieces in my collection which, at least so far, have filled up my need for more. Here's one of them:

Great Phantom Stranger piece!!  Dan Spiegle was a good artist.  But I think in his later art, the faces seemed too round, bordering on Charlie Brown territory.

3 hours ago, Will_K said:

Great Phantom Stranger piece!!  Dan Spiegle was a good artist.  But I think in his later art, the faces seemed too round, bordering on Charlie Brown territory.

Thanks, but it wasn’t that late. Around 1982. I also agree with you the face lacks character.