• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you know what Spawn's first appearance is?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Lobstrosity said:

Thanks, that's great to hear!

Great work Lobstrosity - I love it when people dig. Here's to all the diggers! :headbang:

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Great work Lobstrosity - I love it when people dig. Here's to all the diggers! :headbang:

Thanks! It's been a fun dig. After decades of seeing lots of random items dubbed "Spawn's first appearance" on eBay, I decided to try and get to the bottom of it.

Edited by Lobstrosity

2 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

Do you know what Spawn's true first appearance is? You might be surprised...

I've just completed a deep-dive article over on SpawnWorld into the beginnings of Spawn. Follow along on the timeline I've created which chronicles every major appearance prior to the release of Spawn #1!

It's the culmination of almost a year's worth of research. Have a look here:

http://spawnworld.com/features/firstappearance.htm

Which do you think is the true first appearance?

That was excellent. And quite a trip down memory lane!

8 minutes ago, Comicshows said:

Very well written and researched. My question is where does the Crusade Comics version fit into your timeline? A smaller version of the comic which was released before Spawn 1 according to the CGC label. 

That comic is not actually a small / ashcan version of Spawn #1 - it's a totally different book. It was released along with two videos that were produced by Stabur following Comic-Con 1992 which took place in July. The videos (and the comic) didn't actully release until the 4th quarter of 1992 (direct sales) and the 1st quarter of 1993 (retail sales. So I'm afraid any indication that the comic was released prior to Spawn #1 is incorrect.

The notion that the guys visited DC to inform them of their plans to leave the Big Two has been debunked by Liefeld. He says they actually went hunting for jobs because Todd wasn't sold on the indy idea. Todd and JIm on Batman and Tec and Rob on Team Titans. Rob wanted a guarantee of $150k per issue for 10 issues. Levitz balked and he went to do Youngblood. 

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

The notion that the guys visited DC to inform them of their plans to leave the Big Two has been debunked by Liefeld. He says they actually went hunting for jobs because Todd wasn't sold on the indy idea. Todd and JIm on Batman and Tec and Rob on Team Titans. Rob wanted a guarantee of $150k per issue for 10 issues. Levitz balked and he went to do Youngblood. 

Do you have a source for where he refutes that? Every source that I've watched and read (all listed in my bibliography) has a consistent story.

9 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

Do you have a source for where he refutes that? Every source that I've watched and read (all listed in my bibliography) has a consistent story.

His podcast blows up a LOT of the old narratives. He starts it at the end of AT THE COMIC BOOK MOVIES and continues in THE DC COMICS DETOUR.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:12 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Spawn #1. Everything prior to that is an ad or a preview. 

That was easy. What do I win?

(thumbsu

It's interesting to look back at the events leading up to Spawn and Image, but none of that has anything to do with Spawn's first appearance.

That high school paper article!!  You're research is insane! Well done. Excellent article. I wish more collectors in this hobby could appreciate the research and the fun of tracking down such obscure origins. The moment you mention a preview or ad, it seems the torches instantly come out. 

14 hours ago, Davidone said:

That high school paper article!!  You're research is insane! Well done. Excellent article. I wish more collectors in this hobby could appreciate the research and the fun of tracking down such obscure origins. The moment you mention a preview or ad, it seems the torches instantly come out. 

Interesting that McFarlane created a 1977 SPAWN when 1977 was also the date for this comic (notice the bottom right corner):

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #11 (1977, Marvel) for sale online | eBay