• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you know what Spawn's first appearance is?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Excellent article. I echo @shadroch on this - I have little interest in Spawn but this was well done. A suggestion - make the images able to be shown in full size. I'd love to see the Up n Coming 15 ad in detail, just as an example.

Great article, a few things jumped out, but one in particular is there was a Spawn parody before Spawn even hit the shelves, even though it looks like it's from Todd himself, hard to see on the tiny image.  Thank you for sharing.

Edited by RedGiant

On 10/23/2020 at 9:12 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Spawn #1. Everything prior to that is an ad or a preview. 

That was easy. What do I win?

100% agree.  The article lost me on the first paragraph:

In the past, the question of a comic character’s first appearance was a simple one. The first comic with the character was also their first appearance: Such as Superman in Action Comics #1, or Batman in Detective Comics #27.

Superman, for example, "appeared" in preview ads before Action 1.  But no serious collector would call that a first appearance.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:44 AM, shadroch said:

Very well written and researched article. I've never read a Spawn, never bought one on purpose and dont care one iota about it but read the whole thing and it kept my interest.

Having said what I just said about how the article lost me on the first paragraph, I need to clarify that was just your logic.  I thought it was well-written and interesting and agree with Shadroch.  I just think previews are never "first appearances"  of any sort.

On 11/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, RedGiant said:

Great article, a few things jumped out, but one in particular is there was a Spawn parody before Spawn even hit the shelves, even though it looks like it's from Todd himself, hard to see on the tiny image.  Thank you for sharing.

I found that really interesting too! I'd wager there's a pretty small club of comic book characters who have had a parody of them released prior to their own debut.

BTW - it wasn't by Todd, it's drawn by one of CBG's regular contributors (can't recall who at the moment, I'd have to check)