• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Faking it

3 posts in this topic

At the risk of creating problems...

I'm a freelance writer looking for assistance.  I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the production process of a 1930s title, with the goal of describing the process to forge one.

Yes, I know how that looks.

Hoping I can actually get answers, here's what I'm wondering:

Weight of paper (and grade)

Brand of inks for inkers

Types of pens for inkers (including nib sizes and brand).  (I expect this is variable by inker...)

Technical term for original storyboard art (if there is one).

Type of printing press typically used. Also how the four-color process reduces the original art to printed page size.  (I understand it's done photographically, but that covers a lot of ground...) Also how many "passes" would be typical to get any given final color (that is, are all the greens on a page, necessarily, the same; if not, how are different ones rendered:  more passes with different ink mixes, or what?)

Any differences in the color fading or printing for the (cover) slicks, compared to the interior pages.

Maybe most important for authenticity (since I've never seen genuine a '30s vintage book), ads:  would you expect any in, for instance, _Detective_ #27? 

If nobody knows (or is comfortable revealling...) any of this, is there any source I can use to find out? (Without risking arrest for even contemplating it?)

Thx all, in advance.

• Administrator

Good afternoon,

CGC is a grading company.  We grade and encapsulate books that customers send in to us.  We don't provide the sort of information you are asking.  You can find out more about our company and what we do here: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/about-cgc/

Thanks!

Thankfully, the two biggest comic companies in the world have both been around since the 30's.  If you can convince them you're researching for legitimate purposes, you may be able have them help answer your questions.  Otherwise you could research other famous comic historians and contact them with questions.  Judging by your questions, I don't think anyone would think you would be capable of reproducing an original comic, even if you had the information you're seeking.

With that said, I also think if you asked this question in 'Comics General' or the "Golden Age" subforum, some experts here might be able to provide you with answers, though there might be conflicting answers from random internet strangers.

Also, I can also say that there were ads in comics at that time.