• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade on a High Grade Book with a Spine Split

17 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, zosocane said:

What would you grade an otherwise 9.2-looking book, very attractive copy, glossy ... that has a one-inch spine split?

Thank you.

First, determine what grades the book can't be with a flaw like that. When you arrive at an area you're comfortable with, consider the different grades available and choose the one that you feel best describes the book. Helpful hint: A book in the Fine range can still have a serious flaw if the rest of it is really nice...

10 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

First, determine what grades the book can't be with a flaw like that. When you arrive at an area you're comfortable with, consider the different grades available and choose the one that you feel best describes the book. Helpful hint: A book in the Fine range can still have a serious flaw if the rest of it is really nice...

I know it's not a 7.5 or higher.  I know it's not less than a 6.0.  So, 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0 are the choices.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with how CGC graded their book with this single but material defect (i.e., a one-inch spine split on an otherwise 9.2 book).

13 hours ago, zosocane said:

I know it's not a 7.5 or higher.  I know it's not less than a 6.0.  So, 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0 are the choices.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with how CGC graded their book with this single but material defect (i.e., a one-inch spine split on an otherwise 9.2 book).

Comparing books with similar flaws can be helpful, but each book must be graded individually. That's one of the reasons graders at CGC don't usually like to compare one book to another---every book is different. And even the best of graders can see things differently in situations like this. That's why I recommended a procedure like the one you just used; if done correctly, one or more of the grades that remains has to be accurate. Now you just need to pick the grade you feel best represents this particular book.    

(And for the record, when I have to decide between three different grades, I usually choose the middle grade. It's less stressful...)  :bigsmile:

Edited by The Lions Den

On 10/23/2020 at 5:19 PM, zosocane said:

What would you grade an otherwise 9.2-looking book, very attractive copy, glossy ... that has a one-inch spine split?

Thank you.

I had a book with a 1.5 inch split that otherwise looked 8.5 or so and was graded 6.5.  The split was torn into the cover very slightly at the top.  Mind you, this was when CGC was grading pretty loosely and I wouldn't be surprised if it regraded lower.  But it also sounds notably worse than what you're describing.  

2 hours ago, buttock said:

I had a book with a 1.5 inch split that otherwise looked 8.5 or so and was graded 6.5.  The split was torn into the cover very slightly at the top.  Mind you, this was when CGC was grading pretty loosely and I wouldn't be surprised if it regraded lower.  But it also sounds notably worse than what you're describing.  

Thanks.  Yeah, sounds like yours is a touch worse.  I'm convinced the book is either a 6.5 or a 7.0.  So, let's call it a Fine+++.

32 minutes ago, zosocane said:

Thanks.  Yeah, sounds like yours is a touch worse.  I'm convinced the book is either a 6.5 or a 7.0.  So, let's call it a Fine+++.

For Silver Age and older, assuming the rest of the book is comfortably higher absent the spine split - 6.5. I have had a 50's book and a mid 60's book where they both looked 8.0-8.5 ish and the spine split took them to 6.5. Both splits were extremely clean splits and they knit back together almost imperceptibly when the book was closed.  I would think for gaping splits the downgrade could be more severe.

When GA issues of Action and Superman appeared on Antiques Roadshow, the appraiser described them as NM Minus despite spine splits of more than 3/8".  They were nice-looking copies, but this guy knows nothing about comics grading if he thinks they still qualify as close to NM.  

Edited by EC Star&Bar

I am really confused or maybe just naive but even as far back as the 37th comic book price guide and certainly in the 2016 edition of the overstreet guide to grading comics a 1" spine split makes the comic a 4.5 VG+ and if I bought a comic thinking it a graded 6.5 and found a 1" spine split I would feel very ripped off. Are the books all wrong now, what do I do to find a grade if I can't trust the few items that have been quantified in the books for so many years.

According to Overstreet grading guide, and the standard for longer than any other company, the best grade you could have with a 1" spine split should be 4.5 VG+, I know it would suck to have an otherwise perfect book get a grade like that for just a tear, but that is why we don't want to have tears, Tears are bad. and some books can be graded wrong even by great companies, a person may get in a hurry with a big stack of books to grade. I will add some pictures of a book that I just had the misfortune to buy as an example. I have only been grading about 35 years but I really don't think you can give a 9.4 grade to a book with a 1" spine split. Just Saying.

100_9150.JPG

100_9151.JPG

Spine Split .jpg

100_9138.JPG

100_9136.JPG

100_9149.JPG