• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another ebay 'could not care less'

22 posts in this topic

I wish I could share your optimism of eBay’s decline, but they are an entrenched brand name.  Those can be hard to kill, like Steven Seagal.  And if their stock performance is any indication, eBay will be able to schlep along as a poor Amazon imitation for the foreseeable future.

33 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I wish I could share your optimism of eBay’s decline, but they are an entrenched brand name.  Those can be hard to kill, like Steven Seagal.  And if their stock performance is any indication, eBay will be able to schlep along as a poor Amazon imitation for the foreseeable future.

You are probably 100 % spot on.

Their massive exposure to buyers will keep them viable.

I just wish they would do more to police the place - especially when obvious shilling is handed to them on a plate.

Besides reporting the above - what else can we do?

I don't sell many items over $500 on ebay - I buy even less.

I sell mostly low value common stuff - volume sales if you will - to fund books I really want.

Those I buy on here exclusively - this is pretty much the only buying platform i use.

If ebay were policed like here - happy days!

2 minutes ago, Beige said:

You are probably 100 % spot on.

Their massive exposure to buyers will keep them viable.

I just wish they would do more to police the place - especially when obvious shilling is handed to them on a plate.

Besides reporting the above - what else can we do?

I don't sell many items over $500 on ebay - I buy even less.

I sell mostly low value common stuff - volume sales if you will - to fund books I really want.

Those I buy on here exclusively - this is pretty much the only buying platform i use.

If ebay were policed like here - happy days!

It behooves them to have customer service bury their collective head in the sand.  For every 1 of us who is on the lookout for shilling, there’s probably 100 potential buyers who are ignorant to it.  In the eBay mind:

Higher sales price = higher final value fees = higher quarterly earnings per share = happier shareholders.

Capitalists should still have morals, and eBay clearly has none ☹️

2 hours ago, Beige said:

Both these auctions are being blatantly shilled. 11 feedback 'bidder' highest with 100% bids on this 'seller' - slam dunk shill.

Report both.

You could have reported all of his auctions......although it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

This guy is selling 8 items on eBay.......and this shill bidder is currently the high bidder on all eight of them.

37 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

You could have reported all of his auctions......although it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

This guy is selling 8 items on eBay.......and this shill bidder is currently the high bidder on all eight of them.

Not sure if its still the case but it was always 5 reports that would end a comic auction.  Reports had no effect on OA and other items but I tracked ebay ending auctions of books back in the day when we would report.

2 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

All 8 - jeez....

But yeah, ebay won't do anything.

Reported, nonetheless

they dont care, obviously. fortunately, for now, one has the ability to see who's bidding on another person's auctions, and you can avoid shilled ones. at some point, i'm sure they'll remove that, as they have done with many other useful things. years ago i contacted an underbidder in one of my auctions and it began a long relationship. can't do that anymore. can't leave negative feedback either as a seller if someone backs out of their purchase. 

considering that heritage legally shill bids it's own auctions, i wouldn't let feebay shilling completely ruin my day.  compared to all the auction houses, feebay has some transparency, for now.

rantrantI recently closed my eBay account of 20 years because of their shenanigans, especially as a seller.  The perfect example being that I wasn't being charged relist fees for comics/slabs for a long time, then all of a sudden I started getting charged back in May.  I don't care if it's Covid-related or not, I have low tolerance for B.S.  I was doing it as a hobby there too and it just got too stressful.  The last few years was spent trying to talk to customer service about stuff...all for naught.  I expect to be treated the way I treat others...with courtesy and respect.  Ebay couldn't even do that with our interactions.  Disgraceful...

So now I'm adding my comics here.  I may not sell as much as often, but I do love the environment.  It's better to hob knob with fellow collectors...even if I am mostly selling instead of buying.  Plus, I get to learn more about something I've been doing for over 30 years.  Who'd of thunk it??!! doh! xD

4 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I reported a seller a few weeks back for selling illegal replicas of comics. Nothing happened. They did zilch

I think I know EXACTLY who you’re talking about:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324339597810

reported when he’d posted an FF #48 which has since disappeared but he has a few other keys listed that might not be so obvious as the GSX 1 that isn’t squarebound but the others may find their way to an unsuspecting or unscrupulous market depending on the quality

Edited by B2D327

I wish I could abandon ebay as a venue, they constantly look for ways to squeeze another dime out of sellers. The latest is charging a FVF on the sales tax they collect. But it is still profitable, and I sell about $3000 a month worth of books there. Fortunately I haven't had the problems with buyers that others complain about, which I chalk up to the GA market perhaps not being as heavily populated by scammers and malcontents. 

16 hours ago, mattn792 said:

It behooves them to have customer service bury their collective head in the sand.  For every 1 of us who is on the lookout for shilling, there’s probably 100 potential buyers who are ignorant to it.  In the eBay mind:

Higher sales price = higher final value fees = higher quarterly earnings per share = happier shareholders.

Capitalists should still have morals, and eBay clearly has none ☹️

This is so true....Ebay is a breeding ground for crooks and lowlifes.

I also just reported this guy.

17 hours ago, mattn792 said:

+1

Are you following ComicLink's current auction? 250 pages of CGC graded books from all ages. Blocks of these have to be ending as closely as 15 seconds apart just to fit them all in within the space of a business week. 

10 years ago, 50 pages max, 2 nights, auctions 30 seconds apart. A huge ladder for Link balanced by an equally long slide for graded books on ebay

10 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I reported a seller a few weeks back for selling illegal replicas of comics. Nothing happened. They did zilch

And seemingly, they are doing the same here.

24 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Really? Who?😳

Ebay.

Ignoring these shilled auctions. (shrug)