• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This 100 years in Your Magazine Collection
2 2

318 posts in this topic

I am a big fan of the "This Week in Your Magazine Collection" thread and oftentimes wish that it wasn't restricted to just that narrow of a time frame.  Even though the title of the forum is "Comic Magazines" I vote that we allow any type of magazine  posts too.

The Fantastic Creations of Bernie Wrightson.jpg

The Fantastic Creations of Bernie Wrightson 1.jpg

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

46 minutes ago, N e r V said:

My first Conan comic off the newsstands was #29. I saw a copy of #28 but it was already “pulled” aside before I could buy it and the clerk refused to sell it to me (I’m guessing now it was already counted as a return). So my introduction to Barry Smith was in my copy of Savage Tales #2. I was obsessed with Jim Starlins work on Captain Marvel at the time so Smith quickly was added as a favorite too. The fact his work wasn’t happening regularly for me at Marvel and those Conan back issues were higher priced because of him added to the mystique. I never really bought Epic magazine but his later work by the next decades I didn’t care for. He had a strange career with first aping Kirbys style on superheroes, finding his place on Conan but (for me at least) losing the style he gained in the 70’s much later in his career. Those Epics look good but not a lot that followed them...

91807A02-1D27-4A1A-A729-1D6F2E1C35FB.thumb.jpeg.f44995c12d91052d828883e9e85b5755.jpeg

Hey N e r V.  Want to show off your collection?

1 hour ago, batmiesta said:

After acquiring many UK Batman annuals (70's/80's) for a few different board members, I decided to try and put a nice set together for myself, surprisingly, it is turning out a lot harder than I thought it would, a few of the 80's ones hardly ever show up in HG, the thrill of the hunt and all that .

DSC01608.JPG

Hi batmeista.  Is this the first Bolland drawing of the Joker that you know of?  This is also a plea for you to show off your magazine collection.

This issue was the first comic magazine I ever bought off the rack as a kid.  I remember my original copy lost it's cover and then I think I threw it away as a result.  To this day don't like coverless comic books for some reason.

ao Rampaging Hulk vol. 1 #15 - Copy.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Hi batmeista.  Is this the first Bolland drawing of the Joker that you know of?  This is also a plea for you to show off your magazine collection.

It could well be,but I do not know for sure, maybe someone with greater knowledge on the subject can chime in, good question though. hm

There is no restrictions in the thread, if you go back to page one and go through ( if you have nothing to do for the next month or you are isolating) you will see magazines of all kinds within the pages.

As for showing off my collection, I have showed many in the magazine threads if you look hard enough, but if there are certain ones you would like to see, let me know.

Edited by batmiesta

7 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

There is no restrictions in the thread, if you go back to page one and go through ( if you have nothing to do for the next month or you are isolating) you will see magazines of all kinds within the pages.

Yes I try and post “recent” stuff in my collection but that varies from bought today or bought 6 months ago. That goes for all threads here at CGC...

20 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Hey OtherEric.  If you're listening, let's see your greatest hits.

I don't know if I actually have any "greatest hits" in the comic magazine department; just a decent assortment of US and even UK books, largely reading copies.  But, since I was making noises about posting the Epic Illustrated run, I might as well put it here.  Once again, quite a few of these are clearly readers, although it's got its share of nice copies as well:

Frazetta/ Corben/ Gulacy

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg