• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This 100 years in Your Magazine Collection
2 2

318 posts in this topic

@Morganmi posted Doc Savage #3 over in the this week thread, which led me to digging these out.  The 2 and 6 could use upgrades even by my low standards, but the rest are pretty nice.  I find this run interesting because, as far as I know, these are the first new Doc Savage stories since the pulp was cancelled in 1949... the earlier comics from Gold Key and Marvel were adaptations of pulps; and the paperbacks didn't have new stories until around 1990.  (They did dig up one previously unpublished story in the 70's.)

Doc_Savage_1.jpg

Doc_Savage_2.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

50 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

@Morganmi posted Doc Savage #3 over in the this week thread, which led me to digging these out.  The 2 and 6 could use upgrades even by my low standards, but the rest are pretty nice.  I find this run interesting because, as far as I know, these are the first new Doc Savage stories since the pulp was cancelled in 1949... the earlier comics from Gold Key and Marvel were adaptations of pulps; and the paperbacks didn't have new stories until around 1990.  (They did dig up one previously unpublished story in the 70's.)

That's some cool info and great covers. To be honest I hadn't a clue about these until I saw that #3 for sale in great shape and price and decided to check it out. Can't wait to very carefully read that one and hopefully get hooked into searching for the others. :tink: :smile:

15 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

Congratulations on the Doc Savages. I have been looking for a high grade #4 to complete my run for awhile now. 

You mean you have a HG copy of #8 ?  Unicorn poop is more plentiful,  any chance of a gander at it? 

5 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Those KULL have awesome covers👍👍❤️

They're early work by Michael Whelan; who only ever did a few comic covers.  He's better known for his book covers, he's won 15 Hugo Awards.  He did a couple other covers for Marvel... an issue of Savage Tales, and an Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction cover.  I'll try to dig those out to share as well before too long.