• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone experienced any noticeable difference in prices based on the last 2 versions of the CGC label?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Yes, more likely not pressed.  And talk around the water cooler is that grading was tighter in general during the tenure of the old label.  The plan is to CPR the old label books, get a grade bump, make a few bucks.  Turn your 9.0 into a 9.4 or 9.6.  In light of this, old label books are commanding higher prices as the supply of them diminishes.

49 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Yes, more likely not pressed.  And talk around the water cooler is that grading was tighter in general during the tenure of the old label.  The plan is to CPR the old label books, get a grade bump, make a few bucks.  Turn your 9.0 into a 9.4 or 9.6.  In light of this, old label books are commanding higher prices as the supply of them diminishes.

I've read as much - but I assumed that was referring to the SUPER old OG labels. The 2003 - 2016 seem like they'd be in line with the latest ones, but was curious if the differences were an impediment of any kind.

Appreciate the thoughts!

2 hours ago, nthman said:

I've read as much - but I assumed that was referring to the SUPER old OG labels. The 2003 - 2016 seem like they'd be in line with the latest ones, but was curious if the differences were an impediment of any kind.

Appreciate the thoughts!

Yeah that would be mostly with the Original Label.  Actually from what I hear the current grading is tougher than the grading for the first big number label.

The prior label generation (2003-2016) had some loose grading periods in there, so any books in those cases need to be scrutinized to make sure the grade is warranted. Of course, this applies for the new label as well since some of those "loosely graded" books could be reholdered at any time.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:28 AM, SkyJuice said:

For some reason, red label usually commands a slightly higher premium.

The general belief is the combination of tougher grading and almost no chance of pressing at the beginning of CGC's existence (red labels in use on moderns from 2000 to August 2001).

Red labels are also a bit of a novelty themselves, since fewer than 50,000 ever existed and it's likely that many of those books have been cracked out or reslabbed.

With over 5,000,000 CGC graded comics, the red label CGCs will always be less than 1% (1-in-a-100) of the existing CGC graded books.

Edited by valiantman

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

The general belief is the combination of tougher grading and almost no chance of pressing at the beginning of CGC's existence (red labels in use on moderns from 2000 to August 2001).

Red labels are also a bit of a novelty themselves, since fewer than 50,000 ever existed and it's likely that many of those books have been cracked out or reslabbed.

With over 5,000,000 CGC graded comics, the red label CGCs will always be less than 1% (1-in-a-100) of the existing CGC graded books.

I'm glad I didn't contradict myself by saying, why wouldn't people just pay for a reholder if they were concerned with the appearance of the old labels...oh wait

I personally like the new labels, and when it comes to grading standards/criteria you are the master(thumbsu

Edited by Hollywood1892

19 hours ago, valiantman said:

SCS is my main consideration when it comes to red labels.  Doesn’t matter if the book is unpressed & tightly graded if the book suffered damage post-slabbing.

48 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

SCS is my main consideration when it comes to red labels.  Doesn’t matter if the book is unpressed & tightly graded if the book suffered damage post-slabbing.

What's SCS?

30 minutes ago, nthman said:
1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What's SCS?

"Shaken Comic Syndrome" - damage that can occur to a comic inside a CGC holder if it's shaken/jarred/dropped, etc.  The older the CGC label, the longer it has been in a slab and more time that could have been "shaken".

Since I'm "valiantman" I love the red labels for Valiant Comics.  Fewer than 120 Valiant books were slabbed that early (compared to 60,000 Valiant Comics on the CGC Census now), and we don't know how many got reslabbed through the years.

I've only been able to track down 12 of them for my collection.