• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swamp Monsters!!!!!!
2 2

42 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Jayman said:

Of course you have the classic “Swamp Monster” story By Basil Wolverton in this issue. Since it’s the title of your thread I thought it appropriate!

Thanks.  I LOVE Wolverton.  With the exception of Solomon Grundy's first appearance, Weird Mysteries #5 might be the most desirable (expensive) golden age swamp monster issue.  If memory serves me correctly, the monster on the splash page doesn't show up in the rest of the issue.  I'll reread my reprint and double check.

6 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

If memory serves me correctly, the monster on the splash page doesn't show up in the rest of the issue.

True, but Cabot does change into an even weirder looking swamp monster In the rest of the story. So the splash page represents IMO, a scene where that bat creature was shown flying around after changing another victim into a swamp monster. Either way we get treated to 2 renditions of monsters by Wolverton. Win, win!

18 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

This one's my all-time favorite L.B. Cole cover.  What's the story like on the inside?  I seem to recall someone saying the Swamp Spirit story is quite different than the cover, but I could be mistaken.

Great Disbrow Interiors! Story is a bit different, but in a good way!

Blue Bolt Weird # 114 Insider.jpg

Blue Bolt Weird # 114 Swamp Spirit 1.jpg

Blue Bolt Weird # 114 Swamp Spirit 2.jpg

Blue Bolt Weird # 114 Swamp Spirit Acid.jpg

Blue Bolt Weird # 114 Swamp Spirit Title.jpg

Feldstein did an early swamp story for EC. In fact thinking about it, it was probably one of many....

This from the very first issue of HOF

image.thumb.png.e8a130fb7a891ac0a28b9cfb0e811857.png